• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cardinals are going to regret drafting Kyler Murray

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would almost consider his career a success based on last year alone.

Great rookie year with not much help but he was a #1 pick. Once you get that franchise QB, you try to surround him with as much as possible. That's what Zona seemed like they wanted to do from the start with Kyler, they just forgot about OL--gonna have to wait another year to bolster that OL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/when Marcus Gilbert and DJ Humpries go down again, the Cardinals will have the worst Oline and the worst TEs.

Spot on about Gilbert...PIT has a lot of depth at the position so he was deemed worthy to move, but the reason is not his skills...availability...hell, he's only started 16 games twice since 2013.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on about Gilbert...PIT has a lot of depth at the position so he was deemed worthy to move, but the reason is not his skills...availability...hell, he's only started 16 games twice since 2013.
Gilbert is good, too, but neither one of their starting tackles has been healthy the past couple of years. They are playing a very dangerous game.

I get that rookie tackles dont always produce right away but they should've drafted one to eventually replace DJ Humphries who is more of a stop-gap guy than a starter, anyways. Glancing at the roster, they also have a hole at Center last I checked. In my mock draft where I was Arizona, I picked Dalton Risner in rd2. He played Center and RT in college.

I certainly get why they drafted Byron Murphy if they plan on trading Patrick Peterson. Zach Allen seems like a weird pick, though. Cardinals had a top 10 defense last year and an expansion level offense.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to prognosticate a negative outcome.

It takes balls and discernment to predict success.

Murray completes at least two contracts with the Cards and leads them to at least one playoff.

Barring injury, of course.

Guy is a winner and can carry a team on his back.

Tebow was a big time winner in college. How did his pro career work for him? I'm not trying to comparing the 2 but just because a player has a great college career doesn't mean he'll have a successful pro career.

There are countless Heisman winners that didn't succeed at the next level.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great rookie year with not much help but he was a #1 pick. Once you get that franchise QB, you try to surround him with as much as possible. That's what Zona seemed like they wanted to do from the start with Kyler, they just forgot about OL--gonna have to wait another year to bolster that OL.

They didn't forget about OL.

They picked up Marcus Gilbert and J.R. Sweezy in the offseason. Drafted Lamont Gaillard from Georgia and a project tackle in Joshua Miles (not to mention andy undrafted FA pickups).

And, they will be running Kingsbury's air raid offense which is predicated on getting the ball out quickly with a freakishly mobile QB.

I thought they might grab another Olineman, but they didn't. They had a plan and stuck to it.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert is good, too, but neither one of their starting tackles has been healthy the past couple of years. They are playing a very dangerous game.

I get that rookie tackles dont always produce right away but they should've drafted one to eventually replace DJ Humphries who is more of a stop-gap guy than a starter, anyways. Glancing at the roster, they also have a hole at Center last I checked. In my mock draft where I was Arizona, I picked Dalton Risner in rd2. He played Center and RT in college.

I certainly get why they drafted Byron Murphy if they plan on trading Patrick Peterson. Zach Allen seems like a weird pick, though. Cardinals had a top 10 defense last year and an expansion level offense.
They drafted a center and a tackle.

The team is not going to run a 7 step drop offense anymore, so you have to factor that into the equation.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They drafted a center and a tackle.
In the 6th and 7th rounds. You guys had the most draft capital in the NFL draft and could've done anything you wanted and decided to go BPA on defense at least 3 times.

The team is not going to run a 7 step drop offense anymore, so you have to factor that into the equation.
Like I said, I think it can work out for them if your tackles stay healthy. I just dont think thats what most GMs would have done.

Footballoutsiders ranked the efficiency of 49 different Tight Ends with high usage last year. Charles Clay had a DVOA of 48th out of 49 and Seals-Jones had an efficiency ranking of 49th out of 49.

I get that the Cardinals had a plan but why draft so many defensive players?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't forget about OL.

They picked up Marcus Gilbert and J.R. Sweezy in the offseason. Drafted Lamont Gaillard from Georgia and a project tackle in Joshua Miles (not to mention andy undrafted FA pickups).

And, they will be running Kingsbury's air raid offense which is predicated on getting the ball out quickly with a freakishly mobile QB.

I thought they might grab another Olineman, but they didn't. They had a plan and stuck to it.

Yeah but other than Gilbert, who is injury prone, all those guys are projects getting them late in the draft. I mean they could workout where they get a valuable starter right now but that is unrealistic. They have more depth at the position now but the OL is still below average. I wouldn't count on guys picked in late 6th-7th or undrafted to help the worst OL in the NFL, just sayin. I thought they could have done more. I know Kyler needed weapons but 3 WR's with their next 3 picks...like I said with one of those 2nd rounder they could have grabbed a top OL in this draft. Not shitting on their draft bc I actually like what they did...I like Butler and Isabella a lot.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but other than Gilbert, who is injury prone, all those guys are projects getting them late in the draft. I mean they could workout where they get a valuable starter right now but that is unrealistic. They have more depth at the position now but the OL is still below average. I wouldn't count on guys picked in late 6th-7th or undrafted to help the worst OL in the NFL, just sayin. I thought they could have done more. I know Kyler needed weapons but 3 WR's with their next 3 picks...like I said with one of those 2nd rounder they could have grabbed a top OL in this draft. Not shitting on their draft bc I actually like what they did...I like Butler and Isabella a lot.
It's the NFL, everyone is injury prone.

Also, we often see high oline prospects turn out to be average or below average.

Again, they had a plan and stuck to it. hopefully it pans out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Think Jimmy G. That's an excellent example of a bust in the making.

Yeah, but he's a bust by choice. Dude suddenly thought he was Michael Vick. :doh: :stooges:

giphy.gif

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the NFL, everyone is injury prone.

Also, we often see high oline prospects turn out to be average or below average.

Again, they had a plan and stuck to it. hopefully it pans out.

All trolling aside, How do you really feel how it all went down?
Do you believe Murray is the guy to bring the Cards back to the playoffs?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or that Kingsbury was a legit hire??

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly, I don't know a ton about him aside from his highlight reel which is not a great indicator of ones true ability. The only full game I saw him play was against Alabama which was pretty impressive especially considering he didn't have his best receiver.

I said in the past I think they should have stuck with Rosen. They did the opposite. With that said, the potential of Murray is something to be excited about. Yes, I believe he could bring the cards back to the playoffs. He has the potential to be a special player. They drafted some great weapons to surround him with. They also got a potential shut down corner and a versatile D-lineman that will help with depth.

I like their draft for the direction they decided to go.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or that Kingsbury was a legit hire??
Why? Instead of simply going with the herd, show me a list of all the shorter QB's that were given a chance to start in the NFL who never panned out.

It would definitely be a short list... no pun intended.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I didn't like the Murray pick and graded it very poorly (D+ - every other site/analyst was giving it B or high grades), so naturally I'd prefer he does bust so my amazing and stellar reputation as a sports genius on SportsHoopla remains.

Soonertshirtfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow was a big time winner in college. How did his pro career work for him? I'm not trying to comparing the 2 but just because a player has a great college career doesn't mean he'll have a successful pro career.

There are countless Heisman winners that didn't succeed at the next level.
Sure. If that was the basis of my opinion you would be right. Kyler isnt a full back with five gallons of heart that can throw a little. Neither did Kyler have the benefit of that badass defense.

Kyler is a pure passer with all of the throws. He also can run. Well.

One intangible that Kyler shares with Tebow is that he can put an entire team on his back and raise it to another level.

Once again, Im not butthurt. I just honestly disagree with the premise of the OP for the above reasons. Size is just a number. Skills are what count.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. This your A game?

There are lots of QBs in the show that are considered successful by that very metric.

And yes, a career that included taking the cards to the playoffs a single time would be considered a success.

You do watch the NFL, right?
So, you think being a poor man's Andy Dalton is success? Interesting...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did his pro career work for him?

The one year he was actually given a chance to start, he led a below average team that started the season 1-4 to the playoffs. Not to shabby for a guy a lot of people say could never play QB in the NFL.

Go Broncos!