• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Browns should take Chubb and Barkley

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC probably had a better pass pro line than Jax when healthy, but the runblocking was a real struggle. Hunt still got a 4.9 YPC. Prospects like Hunt and Kamara are not at all unusual in rounds 2 and 3 or the very late first if that's your cup of tea.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Road...I would put the number of Ws at 2 max this season, I can see them beating Tampa (if they don't end up with Barkley) and I'd love to see them knock off BAL & CIN.

Home...split...4.

If I were to put a number on the season right now...top side 6-10, but I would probably bet 5-11. FWIW, I do think Hue is gone at 5-11 because the GMs want to go down with their own hire and that would be his opportunity to make the change.
I think 6-10 is on the low end. Don't forget, when this Cleveland team was mostly healthy at the start of the season (but missing Josh Gordon and Myles Garrett), they would've knocked off Pittsburgh if not for a blocked punt TD. By Thanksgiving, we had 18 guys on the season-ending IR. That's the biggest thing for them this year - health. If they're healthy, 8-8 is very realistic and above .500 could certainly happen.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns were a mismanaged 4-12 team last year. They can be a winning team if managed well. As said before- Hue has NO EXCUSE to not compete this year in a weak AFC/Division.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Jacksonville had a better OL last year than KC did. I'd also say it's an awfully big coincidence that after 12 seasons in the NFL, Alex Smith busts out and has his best year ever by far in Hunt's rookie year.

It's also not like Hunt was just as good as Fournette - he was better than Fournette in every way by a wide margin. Jacksonville ran the ball more than any team in the NFL last year and Fournette delivered 3.9 YPC - and if you take out the 90 yard run he had, he averaged 3.5 YPC for the year. Hunt averaged 4.9. The argument that he's at the very least just as good as Fournette is fair.
Jacksonville ran the ball more than any team in the league last year. Why not the year before?

Identity matters.

When did the Jags add Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce to take all the defensive eyes out of the backfield?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive identity has got to be one of the trashiest sports arguments out there. Running it a ton is a good idea if your QB is terrible for risk mitigation. Bortles still threw a TON of interceptable passes- they just weren't caught as much this past year. That's not an identity unless your identity is you suck at passing the ball; or more accurately, Blake Bortles is a terrible quarterback.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive identity has got to be one of the trashiest sports arguments out there. Running it a ton is a good idea if your QB is terrible for risk mitigation. Bortles still threw a TON of interceptable passes- they just weren't caught as much this past year. That's not an identity unless your identity is you suck at passing the ball; or more accurately, Blake Bortles is a terrible quarterback.
Nearly all NFL games require completed passes to win. How you get to those matters.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that teams didn't focus on Hunt is pretty hysterical after about week 5. Teams switched to ZONE two take away some of the openings they were giving up in man deep in the passing game and against a well designed running game with mediocre, at best, blocking once Morse broke his foot in week 2 against the Eagles. This created two huge holes at LG and C, and Fisher did not look himself on the runblocking side whereas he is normally very good at it. Still averaged 4.9 YPC. Fournette defenders are delusional.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eaglesnut has chosen a 3.9 YPC back, when his QB still threw a shit ton of interceptable passes, as his hill to die on as to why the Jags improved. Not one of the best pass D's of the past 25 years statistically.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.

Teams design their offensive schemes for several reasons. If you're a run-heavy team it's probably one of or a combination of the following 3 reasons:

1. You have a stud O-line/RB and can overpower the defense consistently
2. You have a young and/or mediocre-to-bad QB and you're simplifying things for him
3. You have a bad defense and you need to shorten the game in order to compete

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacksonville ran the ball more than any team in the league last year. Why not the year before?

Identity matters.

When did the Jags add Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce to take all the defensive eyes out of the backfield?
Why not the year before? Because their RBs were horrible, duh. You're still acting like Fournette is the only RB that could've worked while still ignoring the fact that he wasn't even remotely close to being the top rookie RB. There's nothing at all that would suggest Hunt couldn't have come in and averaged 3.9 YPC in Jacksonville, and he was a late 3rd rounder. You honestly think Jacksonville wouldn't rather have Hunt and, say, Marshon Lattimore or Jamal Adams over Fournette and some backup defensive lineman? Come on now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 6-10 is on the low end. Don't forget, when this Cleveland team was mostly healthy at the start of the season (but missing Josh Gordon and Myles Garrett), they would've knocked off Pittsburgh if not for a blocked punt TD. By Thanksgiving, we had 18 guys on the season-ending IR. That's the biggest thing for them this year - health. If they're healthy, 8-8 is very realistic and above .500 could certainly happen.

Yeah...every team has some woulda, coulda, shoulda situations, and I mean that in all sincerity. I think you can turn a bad season around in one year. For instance...the NYG...I can see them winning 10+ games this season, they have a proven QB, they have plugged some OL holes, and you would think they would be able to keep at least 2 WRs of note on the field for 16 games.

The Browns imo are coming from a different place. Anybody that watched them knows they have better talent than what the record showed...had they went with a vet stop gap QB LY, maybe they win 5 or 6 games...but 0 to 10 in one season...I don't see it.

I think where we all agree...Hue is on the hotseat this season. Has to make it happen now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns were a mismanaged 4-12 team last year. They can be a winning team if managed well. As said before- Hue has NO EXCUSE to not compete this year in a weak AFC/Division.

On paper it looks like they can, but not this year. If Taylor was a more accomplished QB, I would buy in...as it stands, we're still talking about potential after 3 yrs starting.

On your second point...agree 100% on Hue, but everyone in the DIV, at least THINKS they will be better than LY also...10 wins, even 9, hell 8-8 they should be thrilled with that as a stepping stone.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not the year before? Because their RBs were horrible, duh. You're still acting like Fournette is the only RB that could've worked while still ignoring the fact that he wasn't even remotely close to being the top rookie RB. There's nothing at all that would suggest Hunt couldn't have come in and averaged 3.9 YPC in Jacksonville, and he was a late 3rd rounder. You honestly think Jacksonville wouldn't rather have Hunt and, say, Marshon Lattimore or Jamal Adams over Fournette and some backup defensive lineman? Come on now.
You don't undo things that worked perfectly. Jaguars were a laughing stock > Fournette > AFC Championship

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't undo things that worked perfectly. Jaguars were a laughing stock > Fournette > AFC Championship
I don't know if I'd call AFC Championship the same as 'working perfectly'

They beat the Steelers in a game where they won the turnover margin by +2. That was their accomplishment. If the Jaguars offense had the Chiefs defense then they would've gone 6-10 last year.