• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The British Open...who wins it?

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike...I hear you...I was a buyer (associate buyer actually) for a large retailer based in the NY in the mid 80s...obviously this was long before Nike got into golf equipment, but we got to meet Phil Knight and got to know many of their top people out in Beaverton...Nike pretty much bought all the technology they had and they were more or less a marketing driven company...they turned air encapulation into a multi-billion dollar product...Asics, New Balance had better cushioning properties in their shoes but they didn't have the marketing savvy of Nike who hit a gold mine in MJ.

Golf equipment...same concept..they just bought another company's technology and they got lucky by latching onto a guy that became an icon...at one point the most popular athlete in the world...the clubs may be inferior but I think what that really says when you watch what Tiger, and now Rory have done is that it aint the clubs.

Damn. You're old... :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reply. Also - have to believe that the clubs used by Rory, Tiger, Michelle, etc don't resemble the ones sold to the general public. Since you have the proper background to address this - please educate me.

Well...idk about that...I bought womens crosstrainers and eventually apparel, but I agree with you that their clubs are not the same as the off the rack stuff we have access to.

I do remember when Tiger transitioned from Titleist to Nike that they basically copied those specs as close as they legally could...I heard that at one point Bridgestone was manufacturing their balls, and I'm sure another OEM was handling their golf clubs early on.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you...I hope to join you one day...lol.