• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The British Open...who wins it?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow; no comments on Tiger Woods for a change! He might as well have not even made the cut! lol!

dude hasn't been the same since he turned his driveway into demolition derby.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hats off to Rory...job well done!! Two-thirds of the career grand slam under your belt @ 25 y/o...I think he might turnout okay.

Although he piped his 1st drive down the middle and made birdie on a what many said was the hardest opening hole of any course in the Open rotation, he played Sunday to protect a 6 shot lead.

Clearly Rory was the best player in the field...and by a wide margin imo...but c'mon Hoylake...-17 and you win by 2?

This greener, softer version of it was not really a major challenge for these guys...after Rory opened up with such a huge lead, their only hope for any kind of compelling finish was a soft track...with so many 60s shot over the weekend, it had the feel of a regular PGAT stop imo.

You can't control mother nature, but I think for this track to have teeth, it's has to play hard and fast..

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this for a second. If Tom Watson uses a Captain's pick on Tiger Woods, he is picking a guy that he beat by 5 strokes at 64 years old at this years British Open.

Tiger...I think more than anything...his age is really starting to show...2 competitive rounds before this major...clearly his game was not ready to contend at any kind of a tour stop much less a major, and imo this fairly weak setup exposed him over the weekend.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take... Rickie Fowler is gonna win a couple of majors before he's through. The stage wasn't too big for him. He couldn't have played much better than that.

My other take... its just a matter of time before Rory gets that green jacket to complete his personal grand slam. He's a pleasure to watch.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take... Rickie Fowler is gonna win a couple of majors before he's through. The stage wasn't too big for him. He couldn't have played much better than that.

My other take... its just a matter of time before Rory gets that green jacket to complete his personal grand slam. He's a pleasure to watch.

Fowler...I agree...he's tightened up his swing this year...and not lacking for distance.

Rory needs a PGA to complete the slam...no? I thought he redeemed himself @ AN already.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler...I agree...he's tightened up his swing this year...and not lacking for distance.

Rory needs a PGA to complete the slam...no? I thought he redeemed himself @ AN already.

No green jacket yet. But I agree, he has the game to slay that beast.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could have swore he needed Augusta so I went and checked.

2011 US Open @ Congressional
2012 PGA @ Kiawah Island
2014 Open Championship @ Royal Liverpool

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hats off to Rory...job well done!! Two-thirds of the career grand slam under your belt @ 25 y/o...I think he might turnout okay.

Although he piped his 1st drive down the middle and made birdie on a what many said was the hardest opening hole of any course in the Open rotation, he played Sunday to protect a 6 shot lead.

Clearly Rory was the best player in the field...and by a wide margin imo...but c'mon Hoylake...-17 and you win by 2?

This greener, softer version of it was not really a major challenge for these guys...after Rory opened up with such a huge lead, their only hope for any kind of compelling finish was a soft track...with so many 60s shot over the weekend, it had the feel of a regular PGAT stop imo.

You can't control mother nature, but I think for this track to have teeth, it's has to play hard and fast..

In order for this to be true, then he had to be pulling out irons when he went driver the days before.

I can't recall when he did that yesterday. And I'll almost positive the driver was out on the par 5's and went for the green every time (if not in the rough)

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for this to be true, then he had to be pulling out irons when he went driver the days before.

I can't recall when he did that yesterday. And I'll almost positive the driver was out on the par 5's and went for the green every time (if not in the rough)

I seem to recall once or twice yesterday where it looked like he was coming back to the field... then he took out the driver and pounded one 350+.

Just a pleasure to watch.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was playing myself yesterday morning, but I did tape it...(watched about half of his round so far) he seemed to have the same game plan on Sun especially on the par 5s as you say, but you have to think that he was thinking...par is good, make them come and get me...human nature I would think.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have swore he needed Augusta so I went and checked.

2011 US Open @ Congressional
2012 PGA @ Kiawah Island
2014 Open Championship @ Royal Liverpool

You're right...I stand corrected...I thought he'd wiped the slate clean, but it was the PGA.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right...I stand corrected...I thought he'd wiped the slate clean, but it was the PGA.

If I remember correctly - it was the '11 Masters where he had it in the bag and fell apart. Everyone was comparing him to Norman... until Congressional.

Dont think anyone is comparing him to Norman anymore.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly - it was the '11 Masters where he had it in the bag and fell apart. Everyone was comparing him to Norman... until Congressional.

Don't think anyone is comparing him to Norman anymore.

Hands down that was my greatest fear yesterday. As a Cowboys fan, I can't handle being a huge fan of another immensely talented but tragic figure.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands down that was my greatest fear yesterday. As a Cowboys fan, I can't handle being a huge fan of another immensely talented but tragic figure.

I had zero concern about him closing that one out...if I have any concern with Rory (and what I do have is starting to wane) it would be how he handles the money, fame, etc. and still fulfill the enormous potential he has.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had zero concern about him closing that one out...if I have any concern with Rory (and what I do have is starting to wane) it would be how he handles the money, fame, etc. and still fulfill the enormous potential he has.

It appears that Rory calling off his engagement was a real positive. Remember how some folks here kind of badmouthed that move (why they cared is beyond me). For the first time in a while it appears that Rory's primary focus is on golf - scary stuff.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was playing myself yesterday morning, but I did tape it...(watched about half of his round so far) he seemed to have the same game plan on Sun especially on the par 5s as you say, but you have to think that he was thinking...par is good, make them come and get me...human nature I would think.

He's had problems playing 4 rounds of golf and it seemed mental to me. That being said, he won this tournament on the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes and he really didn't have to press them on the final round.

A guy who birdies 1 out of every 4 holes should have more success this year than he has. I think this will get him over the hump though. He'll never be as consistent as Tiger was, but he has that same top end talent level to blow the field away by 8+ strokes any given weekend.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's had problems playing 4 rounds of golf and it seemed mental to me. That being said, he won this tournament on the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes and he really didn't have to press them on the final round.

A guy who birdies 1 out of every 4 holes should have more success this year than he has. I think this will get him over the hump though. He'll never be as consistent as Tiger was, but he has that same top end talent level to blow the field away by 8+ strokes any given weekend.

Yep...not to detract from his great win, but imo this track probably didn't put much fear into him aside from staying out of the FW bunkers...basically you get it to the back 9 with 3 reachable par 5s and he put the pedal to the metal. I was really surprised Dustin Johnson didn't eat those holes alive....it was said by several players earlier in the week they expected some good scores out there...when Jim Furyk is throwing up 65s on Sun. you know it wasn't that hard.