• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The British Open...who wins it?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Rory calling off his engagement was a real positive. Remember how some folks here kind of badmouthed that move (why they cared is beyond me). For the first time in a while it appears that Rory's primary focus is on golf - scary stuff.

Maybe the way he broke it off ruffled some feathers, moreso than just the break up...that happens all the time...I think golf is in great hands...you have a potentially HOF player in Rory...Bubba on talent alone will probably bag 3 or 4 more majors and get in...Jordan Spieth is playing a bit too much imo, but he's young, he'll settle into a groove here soon...Fowler, Jimmy Walker is a legit talent...and imo Tiger and Phil have something left.

Golf is good.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands down that was my greatest fear yesterday. As a Cowboys fan, I can't handle being a huge fan of another immensely talented but tragic figure.

After 8... I was thinking the very same thing. The birdie on nine was massive though. Right up there with the eagles on 16 & 18 Saturday... the shots that won him the tournament.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 8... I was thinking the very same thing. The birdie on nine was massive though. Right up there with the eagles on 16 & 18 Saturday... the shots that won him the tournament.

Very similar to Tiger in his prime - Rory has ice water in his veins. When the tourney started to get close he applied the knockout punch & because of that never really appeared in danger. He certainly will have several more of these type of victories in his future - just not sure that it will be on a consistent basis (you can pretty much say the same about just about anyone on tour).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the fact that Kaymer blew away the field at the US Open & Rory finished 15 strokes back. Rory did similar at the British Open (until the last several holes) and Kaymer finsihed 25 strokes back. Amazing & this is what makes things pretty entertaining. Who knows who will win the PGA. It would be pretty neat if it was Fowler after all of these close finishes.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to say Rory!

LOL

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the fact that Kaymer blew away the field at the US Open & Rory finished 15 strokes back. Rory did similar at the British Open (until the last several holes) and Kaymer finsihed 25 strokes back. Amazing & this is what makes things pretty entertaining. Who knows who will win the PGA. It would be pretty neat if it was Fowler after all of these close finishes.

I'd like to see Spieth take a couple of weeks to recharge his batteries. I agree with the theory that he's probably played too many rounds since Augusta.

I still have a feeling that he's going to be a factor at the PGA.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very similar to Tiger in his prime - Rory has ice water in his veins. When the tourney started to get close he applied the knockout punch & because of that never really appeared in danger. He certainly will have several more of these type of victories in his future - just not sure that it will be on a consistent basis (you can pretty much say the same about just about anyone on tour).

To do what Tiger did comes down to one thing and one thing only. Par putts.

If Rory wants to be a real part of the history books, he has to learn mistake management. He has just as much talent as Tiger and can dominate any course. The key is to avoid giving shots back. Who cares if you eagled the par 5 when you just bogeyed the last 2 holes.

If Rory can learn that he could be the next Tiger, if not he could be the next Phil.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Rory wants to be a real part of the history books, he has to learn mistake management. He has just as much talent as Tiger and can dominate any course. The key is to avoid giving shots back. Who cares if you eagled the par 5 when you just bogeyed the last 2 holes.

If Rory can learn that he could be the next Tiger, if not he could be the next Phil.

Interesting...I agree...imo there was not much talent difference between Tiger and Phil, but mentally TW was just at another level, he simply would not yield to bogey at key moments, whereas as Phil could make birdie from the parking lot, and the next hole miss a 3 footer for par...Phil has/had a lot more Palmer in him and TW more Nicklaus if you will.

Rory is just as talented, but I don't think he will accomplish anything close to Phil much less Tiger in terms of overall wins...I can see him catching Phil's major mark though...just too many players capable of winning tournaments right now.

If Rory, Scott, Rose, Bubba are all on peak form that week...who wins? idk to be honest with you.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Spieth take a couple of weeks to recharge his batteries. I agree with the theory that he's probably played too many rounds since Augusta.

I still have a feeling that he's going to be a factor at the PGA.

Jordan definitely has the IT factor to become the next American star...I'm one that thinks he's just in too many events...I know all the tournament directors want him in the field, but you can't be all things to all people...that will change soon enough though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think when all is said and done he'll be well past Phil in career accomplishments. He's already way ahead of Phil at the same age. He already has 11 wins including the 3 majors. Phil had 5 wins total at 25. He'll never be Tiger though. Nobody ever brought the single-minded intense focus to every tournament that Tiger did... well maybe Hogan, but he was before my time. Rory has Tiger's talent but not Tiger's focus and desire. But who can really say. You never know when one of these guys will just drop off the map. Look at Duval... and Watson was basically done at 35.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the way he broke it off ruffled some feathers, moreso than just the break up...that happens all the time...I think golf is in great hands...you have a potentially HOF player in Rory...Bubba on talent alone will probably bag 3 or 4 more majors and get in...Jordan Spieth is playing a bit too much imo, but he's young, he'll settle into a groove here soon...Fowler, Jimmy Walker is a legit talent...and imo Tiger and Phil have something left.

Golf is good.

Maria Kirilenko ends engagement to Washington Capitals' Alex Ovechkin - ESPN

Yes! Alex Ovechkin's engagement to a pro tennis player is now off just like Rory. Maybe this will bring great things to the Caps. As a long suffering Caps fan I doubt it, but this provides some hope.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...I agree...imo there was not much talent difference between Tiger and Phil, but mentally TW was just at another level, he simply would not yield to bogey at key moments, whereas as Phil could make birdie from the parking lot, and the next hole miss a 3 footer for par...Phil has/had a lot more Palmer in him and TW more Nicklaus if you will.

Rory is just as talented, but I don't think he will accomplish anything close to Phil much less Tiger in terms of overall wins...I can see him catching Phil's major mark though...just too many players capable of winning tournaments right now.

If Rory, Scott, Rose, Bubba are all on peak form that week...who wins? idk to be honest with you.

I agree with you in part. Rory, imo, will be a very good player. Borderline HOF (which I do think he will earn). I think his accomplishments will end up rivaling Phil's but eventually falling short. I don't think he will touch Tiger.

Rory has shown the ability to be very on, or to be very off. Tiger and Phil have both been very consistent players. Rory is not - he's either hot or cold. Rory also completely sold out with his Nike deal. It is highly inferior equipment, which he knew going into it. So, in his prime, he took the easy money. He suffered for it right off the bat and for a while as well. Inconsistent, selling out early, and already women troubles/issues concerns me.

However, I disagree in one thing, because I think Rory would blow away Scott, Rose, and Bubba if all are on their A game. Rory's A game is the best in the world right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when all is said and done he'll be well past Phil in career accomplishments. He's already way ahead of Phil at the same age. He already has 11 wins including the 3 majors. Phil had 5 wins total at 25. He'll never be Tiger though. Nobody ever brought the single-minded intense focus to every tournament that Tiger did... well maybe Hogan, but he was before my time. Rory has Tiger's talent but not Tiger's focus and desire. But who can really say. You never know when one of these guys will just drop off the map. Look at Duval... and Watson was basically done at 35.

The wins by age thing really doesn't hold water imo...we can look no further than Tiger for that...he was well ahead of Jack's major pace for a long time then hit the skids.

I think Rory will eclipse 6 majors only because he's more comfortable winning majors pretty early in his career whereas Phil had to rid a LOT more scar tissue before he bagged his 1st. There was a long time when we weren't sure he'd ever win one.

However it unfolds, it will be fun watching it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you in part. Rory, imo, will be a very good player. Borderline HOF (which I do think he will earn). I think his accomplishments will end up rivaling Phil's but eventually falling short. I don't think he will touch Tiger.

Rory has shown the ability to be very on, or to be very off. Tiger and Phil have both been very consistent players. Rory is not - he's either hot or cold. Rory also completely sold out with his Nike deal. It is highly inferior equipment, which he knew going into it. So, in his prime, he took the easy money. He suffered for it right off the bat and for a while as well. Inconsistent, selling out early, and already women troubles/issues concerns me.

However, I disagree in one thing, because I think Rory would blow away Scott, Rose, and Bubba if all are on their A game. Rory's A game is the best in the world right now.

As I said...idk, so it's not something I can debate really, but it would be nice to see at least 2 or 3 of these guys peak at the same major.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was no "women" problem other than the same trials and tribulations that most men have to deal with. He ended the relationship and refocused and won a major.

Rory realized he was making a mistake and it took some guts to end the engagement even with all the publicity that would come with it ...all at the age of 25? Many including myself did not see this as a flaw in his character ..just the opposite.

Inconsistent is not a word I would use for a 25 year old golfer with 13 wins & 3 majors.

In the 143 year of the British Open, only 7 times has anyone won wire to wire. Rory did that with Nike clubs. How bad could they be.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no "women" problem other than the same trials and tribulations that most men have to deal with. He ended the relationship and refocused and won a major.

Rory realized he was making a mistake and it took some guts to end the engagement even with all the publicity that would come with it ...all at the age of 25? Many including myself did not see this as a flaw in his character ..just the opposite.

Inconsistent is not a word I would use for a 25 year old golfer with 13 wins & 3 majors.

In the 143 year of the British Open, only 7 times has anyone won wire to wire. Rory did that with Nike clubs. How bad could they be.

1) The woman issue was a pretty bad argument from me. Willing to admit when I am wrong.

2) Nike makes some of the worst equipment in the business. If you look at any true, unbiased testing, it doesn't even come close. They are the new kids in town, with no experience, looking to make the cheapest equipment they can in sweat shops, thinking the "brand" will sell even if it sucks. They pump the majority of their money into a few marquee players and commercials - not R&D. They are the joke of equipment from most in the golf world.

With all that being said: I actually like Tiger (due to good for golf reasons), I like (not love but like) Rory, and I love Michelle Wie (for multiple reasons). Kinda a conundrum it puts me in here.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) The woman issue was a pretty bad argument from me. Willing to admit when I am wrong.

2) Nike makes some of the worst equipment in the business. If you look at any true, unbiased testing, it doesn't even come close. They are the new kids in town, with no experience, looking to make the cheapest equipment they can in sweat shops, thinking the "brand" will sell even if it sucks. They pump the majority of their money into a few marquee players and commercials - not R&D. They are the joke of equipment from most in the golf world.

With all that being said: I actually like Tiger (due to good for golf reasons), I like (not love but like) Rory, and I love Michelle Wie (for multiple reasons). Kinda a conundrum it puts me in here.

Honestly, I really don't know how bad they are. You never hear any of the golf talking heads get into gear quality. I guess they would be fired in a second for trashing a sponsor.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nike...I hear you...I was a buyer (associate buyer actually) for a large retailer based in the NY in the mid 80s...obviously this was long before Nike got into golf equipment, but we got to meet Phil Knight and got to know many of their top people out in Beaverton...Nike pretty much bought all the technology they had and they were more or less a marketing driven company...they turned air encapulation into a multi-billion dollar product...Asics, New Balance had better cushioning properties in their shoes but they didn't have the marketing savvy of Nike who hit a gold mine in MJ.

Golf equipment...same concept..they just bought another company's technology and they got lucky by latching onto a guy that became an icon...at one point the most popular athlete in the world...the clubs may be inferior but I think what that really says when you watch what Tiger, and now Rory have done is that it aint the clubs.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike...I hear you...I was a buyer (associate buyer actually) for a large retailer based in the NY in the mid 80s...obviously this was long before Nike got into golf equipment, but we got to meet Phil Knight and got to know many of their top people out in Beaverton...Nike pretty much bought all the technology they had and they were more or less a marketing driven company...they turned air encapulation into a multi-billion dollar product...Asics, New Balance had better cushioning properties in their shoes but they didn't have the marketing savvy of Nike who hit a gold mine in MJ.

Golf equipment...same concept..they just bought another company's technology and they got lucky by latching onto a guy that became an icon...at one point the most popular athlete in the world...the clubs may be inferior but I think what that really says when you watch what Tiger, and now Rory have done is that it aint the clubs.

Good reply. Also - have to believe that the clubs used by Rory, Tiger, Michelle, etc don't resemble the ones sold to the general public. Since you have the proper background to address this - please educate me.