• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Big 12 needs to add two more schools.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people hate not playing all the teams in their conference with 14 teams and yet you think 20 team leagues is better?? :noidea:

Yes. It is essentially 2 10 team leagues that get together for TV exposure and negotiating leverage. Each division member faces each other. It is not a situation where one member plays his entire divison and #1 and #2 in the other division, while the another division member plays #5 and #7 from the other division.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about football it's about money and TV sets so we just have to figure out how to make it work. I like the going to 20 teams and separating them into two divisions that play a round robin and then play each other in a championship game.

Would love for the original 10 SEC teams just to form one of these divisions and throw everyone else into the other one. It would be lopped sided but the original teams could beat the crap out of each other and still win the the SEC with 2 losses.

If the other conferences did the same then we could form 4 "Super Conferences" and then conference champs all make the playoffs with the conference championship game being the default first round. To do this the Big 12 would need to fold and I would like to see the following happen:

SEC East Division - All 10 original members.

SEC West Division:

Arkansas
Missouri
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Baylor
Kansas State

The PAC could pick up the following:

Texas Tech
TCU
BYU
Boise State
Utah State
Nevada or New Mexico

The ACC:

Notre Dame
West Virginia
South Florida
Central Florida
East Carolina
Cincinnati

The Big 10 I have no freakin clue maybe:

UConn
UMass
Iowa State

Special Note:

There is a scenario where the ACC folds instead but I actually like this one because it keeps alive many of the rivalry games that were lost like Mizzou vs Kansas, Kansas vs Kansas State, Oklahoma vs OSU, Texas vs aTm and etc, etc etc.

Switch Kansas and Kansas state with Tx tech and TCU. No need to break up the Texas schools if you don't have too.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent idea. I would tweak it by expanding the playoff to 8 teams.......these 4 automatic qualifiers who won their conferences and 4 additional teams picked by the CFP committee. The reason I would do that is there are always teams that lost a game due to injuries, etc. that would have an outside chance of getting back into the mix later in the season if they won all the rest of their games. It would make the entire college season a real dog fight. Conference champions + 4 teams that are still elite teams. The seeding would always favor the conference champions.

We'll have to wait until the collective craniums of the SEC institutions deflate a bit before any talk of 4 20 team conferences comes to fruition.... Last thing we'd want is a financially level playing field.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it the less I like the idea of super conferences....unless they're divided into micro divisions. I'd actually prefer the opposite; micro conferences that consist of 4 or 5 schools. - But, due to finances, that ain't gonna happen.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people hate not playing all the teams in their conference with 14 teams and yet you think 20 team leagues is better?? :noidea:

Yes. It is essentially 2 10 team leagues that get together for TV exposure and negotiating leverage. Each division member faces each other. It is not a situation where one member plays his entire divison and #1 and #2 in the other division, while the another division member plays #5 and #7 from the other division.

It's because it would be a defacto 8 team playoff. The 8 division winners competing in the conference title games. The 4 conference champs in the CFP.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switch Kansas and Kansas state with Tx tech and TCU. No need to break up the Texas schools if you don't have too.

It's a hard sell as is from a network perspective you already have the state of Texas and Kansas has great population and Kansas brings value on the basketball court.

TCU and TT bring nothing to the table.

Originally I was thinking we would put the old Southwest back together and make it:

Arkansas (1915–1991)
Baylor (1915–1996)
Houston (1972–1996)
Oklahoma (1915–1919)
Oklahoma A&M (1915–1925) *Now Oklahoma State
SMU (1918–1996)
Texas (1915–1996)
Texas A&M (1915–1996)
TCU (1923–1996)
Texas Tech (1956–1996)

Which would be really cool but you lose the states of South Carolina, Missouri and Kansas for no real gain.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a hard sell as is from a network perspective you already have the state of Texas and Kansas has great population and Kansas brings value on the basketball court.

TCU and TT bring nothing to the table.

Originally I was thinking we would put the old Southwest back together and make it:

Arkansas (1915–1991)
Baylor (1915–1996)
Houston (1972–1996)
Oklahoma (1915–1919)
Oklahoma A&M (1915–1925) *Now Oklahoma State
SMU (1918–1996)
Texas (1915–1996)
Texas A&M (1915–1996)
TCU (1923–1996)
Texas Tech (1956–1996)

Which would be really cool but you lose the states of South Carolina, Missouri and Kansas for no real gain.

It is unlikely to happen in that format. SEC is on the 1 team per state kick. I think they would make a few exceptions Texas, Florida, and Cali would be the only ones. That is based on populations, not programs. The most aggressive Conferences would likely be PAC and Big 10. Pac to get into the Central time zone and Big 10 needing to up its reputation. Other unlikely event would be a full merger of the ACC and Big 12. I see the SEC going Northeast in its expansion toward NC. This is all stuff that would probably be at least 5 years out.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about football it's about money and TV sets so we just have to figure out how to make it work. I like the going to 20 teams and separating them into two divisions that play a round robin and then play each other in a championship game.

Would love for the original 10 SEC teams just to form one of these divisions and throw everyone else into the other one. It would be lopped sided but the original teams could beat the crap out of each other and still win the the SEC with 2 losses.

If the other conferences did the same then we could form 4 "Super Conferences" and then conference champs all make the playoffs with the conference championship game being the default first round. To do this the Big 12 would need to fold and I would like to see the following happen:

SEC East Division - All 10 original members.

SEC West Division:

Arkansas
Missouri
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Baylor
Kansas State

The PAC could pick up the following:

Texas Tech
TCU
BYU
Boise State
Utah State
Nevada or New Mexico

The ACC:

Notre Dame
West Virginia
South Florida
Central Florida
East Carolina
Cincinnati

The Big 10 I have no freakin clue maybe:

UConn
UMass
Iowa State

Special Note:

There is a scenario where the ACC folds instead but I actually like this one because it keeps alive many of the rivalry games that were lost like Mizzou vs Kansas, Kansas vs Kansas State, Oklahoma vs OSU, Texas vs aTm and etc, etc etc.

I'd rather see the BigTen+2+2 More go after Kansas & Kansas St. rather than UConn & UMass. Iowa St. & Iowa don't like each other anyway so if they would join the conference at least there's a rivalry w/ a conference school from the get-go.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF we got to 20 team conferences, the SEC would have to drop their 1 team per state rule.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or move to 16 teams

Big ten
Mizzou(that's where they wanna go anyway)
Iowa State

ACC
West Virgina
Uconn

SEC
Texas
Tx tech
Baylor

Pac
Kansas
kstate
OU
okie light

JCITOW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame the super liberal pac schools more than UT. Before the LHN it looked like the PAC could've had the entire big 12 south (OU, UT, okie light, baylor, tech, a&m) but Baylor was the problem, since they believe in god. Instead the PAC took colorado, hoping the other 5 would ditch baylor and go still. If they had accepted Baylor, the PAC 16 would be a thing right now.

I did not know that believing in God would ever be a "problem." I was under the impression it was the other way around.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unlikely to happen in that format. SEC is on the 1 team per state kick. I think they would make a few exceptions Texas, Florida, and Cali would be the only ones. That is based on populations, not programs. The most aggressive Conferences would likely be PAC and Big 10. Pac to get into the Central time zone and Big 10 needing to up its reputation. Other unlikely event would be a full merger of the ACC and Big 12. I see the SEC going Northeast in its expansion toward NC. This is all stuff that would probably be at least 5 years out.

This is the way I see it for the SEC the two states that would hold the most interest for them in order of importance (due to not having a presence) are the following:

North Carolina - However there is almost no chance of this happening if the ACC does not fold.
Virgina - Same thing as NC.
Oklahoma - Can't happen unless the Big 12 does not fold.
Kansas - Same as OK.

There just isn't any other states that make sense so that being the case we are looking at the ACC or the Big 12 folding in order to accomplish this.

If it is the ACC then the B1G gains because they can go after Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and meet both their academic qualifications and geographic targets. The problem is the NC schools would fight this with everything they had and you are going to see schools get left out in the cold.

If the Big 12 folds it makes geographic sense for the majority to merge with the SEC and many of the left overs head to the PAC since they really need additional time zone programing and geographic spread for their network.

Since no one is ever happy in the Big 12 and all it takes are Texas and Oklahoma to agree and its done then that is the course of less resistance. The SEC gains big time and the PAC comes in a close second but it screws the B1G (which I think everyone would secretly like). As for the ACC they will be happy to have stability and ND would be forced to join them as full member or get left out completely (yes this can and would happen).

Seems to me the Big 12 folding would be the best option but I'll gladly take the ACC folding and go hard after (and I think we get them):

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
FSU
Clemson

B1G I see getting:

Virginia
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt

That would leave for the Big 12:

Miami
Louisville
NC State

Then probably:

Cincinnati
Memphis
South Florida
Central Florida
East Carolina
Tulane?
Colorado State?

I honestly don't know who the Big 12 would pick up because all the available teams are going to flock to the SEC, B1G and PAC due to their network packages and revenue sharing agreements.

You Big 12 guys might get pissed at the above but if you are honest you will know I am close to being correct and the best option is for the Big 12 to throw in the towel and for Texas to play ball with a new conference.

Now Texas and Oklahoma might rather go to the PAC which is possible but it is going to be a tough choice.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know that believing in God would ever be a "problem." I was under the impression it was the other way around.

Cal and a few other schools didn't want Baylor. Also this is why BYU will never be a pac school.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal and a few other schools didn't want Baylor. Also this is why BYU will never be a pac school.

If we all go to 20 there aren't many options out there they may have no choice.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Big 12 needs to find another school to add. That way, they could have a championship game. They are missing out on money and a fair share in the BCS.

Totally agree I know the lack of a championship game will cost at getting a 1 loss team in the playoff some years. I am disgusted that while other conferences expanded to 14 we stuck at 10. Leaving us as the only major conference not to have a championship game. I know this is going to cost us playoff spots at some point if we don't get a conference championship game soon

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people, in this thread, keep saying 4 bifurcated 20 team conferences when what they are describing are 8 10-team conferences?
:noidea:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree I know the lack of a championship game will cost at getting a 1 loss team in the playoff some years. I am disgusted that while other conferences expanded to 14 we stuck at 10. Leaving us as the only major conference not to have a championship game. I know this is going to cost us playoff spots at some point if we don't get a conference championship game soon

I hate it when people just look at the "benefit" side of the equation when doing a "cost/benefit" analysis.
You didn't mention how a ccg can sometimes cost a conference a spot in the playoff.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people, in this thread, keep saying 4 bifurcated 20 team conferences when what they are describing are 8 10-team conferences?
:noidea:

You're essentially correct but the numbers are needed to maximize the network and revenue potential.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll take Florida St n Clemson for 12.

If we must make 16 we'll take the two up top plus:
BYU
UCF
Miami
NC St

Thanks!

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Invite BYU and ND cover all the bases.

absolutely. Add the Catholics and Mormons, to the Baptists and the Disciples of Christ (TCU). Got the Heathens down in Austin, the Landthieves up in Norman. Not sure what you got in Morgantown, Stillwater, and some town in Iowa, Manhattan and Lawrence, but that would give you a good cross section right there.