• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt there would be much of an outcry if they weren't playing FCS teams.
There still will be some shit games at the end of the season. You are kidding yourself if you think that it will only be Florida vs Florida State at the end of the season. You will have teams trying to skate the system with MAC/Sunbelt teams at the season.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Wisconsin playing Illinois, we could win by 60 and it wouldn't help us.

Winning by 14 just made things drastically worse. They'll be lucky to be 7th in the new CFP this week.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning by 14 just made things drastically worse. They'll be lucky to be 7th in the new CFP this week.

What might be their saving grace about a 14-point win is Taylor's injury.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings after Week 8

1. Penn State (7-0, 4-0) - Last Week: 1 - I now look at the Iowa game and think "How did Iowa have such a close game and how did they score 19 points when Iowa's offense couldn't do anything?" Iowa is the only team to score more than 14 points and the only one to hold them under 31. And the Iowa game still doesn't hurt PSU's image. Offense is Barkley, but the defense is a team playing well together.

2. Wisconsin (7-0, 4-0)- Last Week: 3 - Jonathon Taylor has put himself in a B1G RB race with Barkley and is only a freshman. Only Northwestern has allowed more than 17 points, which happened in a rally, and Wisconsin scored over 30 points for the 6th time. With PSU dominating Michigan by 29 points and giving the Wolverines their 2nd loss, there is a chance that Wisconsin has 0 ranked opponents during the regular season in the final poll, maybe even on game-day.

3. Ohio State (6-1, 4-0) - Last Week: 2 - With the Badgers being undefeated and having impressive final scores, I bumped them above the Buckeyes, who have been red-hot since their loss to Oklahoma. Ohio State has outscored their opponents 266-56. They have a big test next week when Penn State comes to Columbus.

4. Michigan State (6-1, 2-0) - Last Week: 4 - The Spartans are showing that it doesn't have to be pretty as long as your get the W. Get enough ugly Ws, the Ws start to look impressive. A lot of teams don't look good because a few plays throughout the season doesn't go their way in some of their games. MSU had one game like that so far, but they got the right bounces in the other games. That is not luck, that is preparation and leadership.

5. Michigan (5-2, 2-2)- Last Week: 5 - Usually, I drop a team after they get beat by 29 points, but the gap between #5 and #6 was that big. With two losses now, that gap has shrunk considerably. Even though they just gave up 42 points, their defense is still one of the best Ds in the conference. Their offense could cost them another game or two.

6. Northwestern (4-3, 2-2)- Last Week: 8 - Many on BTN had the Wildcats being the dark horses to win the B1G West. That is definitely not happening. However, they nearly had an incredible comeback on Wisconsin, got trounced by Penn State, and have won their last two games. Even though their game vs Iowa wasn't the prettiest win, they still won. If they can get the offense going next week, they could possibly upset MSU.

7. Iowa (4-3, 1-3) - Last Week: 6 - Like I said with MSU, a few plays could make a difference in how a team looks. A play or two in each loss and Iowa is undefeated where a play or two in each win and ISU only has a different record. But Iowa didn't get those plays and have lost 3 of their last 4 games with only beating Illinois.

8. Nebraska (3-4, 2-2) - Last Week: 9 - The Huskers didn't look bad this week, as most teams did on the bottom half of the B1G. They had a bye week. With Purdue losing to Rutgers, Nebraska rises a spot. They beat Rutgers and Illinois but got dominated by Wisconsin and Ohio State. They don't have any good wins or bad losses, but haven't been competitive in any of their losses.

9. Maryland (3-4, 1-3)
- Last Week: 10 -The four losses the Terps have came from teams that are 23-5. Take away Northwestern and you have 19-1. But they have lost 4 of their last 5 games and did have a close game with Minnesota.

10. Rutgers (3-4, 2-2) - Last Week: 13 - A few weeks ago, they looked like the worst team in the B1G, if not all of P5. Now, they are on a 2-game winning streak. Beating Illinois might mean nothing, but beating Purdue is more impressive.

11. Purdue (3-4, 1-3)- Last Week: 7 -The Boilermakers were being forgiven losing to Michigan and Wisconsin, but not Rutgers. Their only B1G win was to Minnesota. However, they still have played Michigan and Wisconsin better than expected.

12. Indiana (3-4, 0-4) - Last Week: 11 - After hanging with Ohio State for three quarters and beating Virginia by 17 (which does look more impressive now), the Hoosiers are just not winning. But their 4 losses are to Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State. It is hard to tell how good or bad they are.

13. Minnesota (4-3, 1-3)
- Last Week: 12 - The Gophers breaks a 3-game skid with an 8-point win against Illinois. All of their wins are against teams with losing records. Even though Purdue lost to Rutgers, they still beat Minnesota two TDs. The win vs Illinois doesn't help them at all.

14. Illinois (2-5, 0-4) - Last Week: 14 - Illinois beat Ball State by 3 and Western Kentucky by 14. Since then, they are on a 5-game losing streak to USF, Nebraska, Iowa, Rutgers, and Minnesota. Iowa cracks the top half of this list at #7.

1.) Wisconsin (only undefeated team)
2.) OSU (lost at home by 16 points to an above average Oklahoma team
3.) PEDO U: choked vs OSU
4.) Northwestern: Beat MSU and is looking damn good now with 2 solid wins in a row
5.) Michigan: Got their mojo back with a new QB
6.) MSU: little brother comes back down to earth after their fluke win in poor conditions vs big brother

The rest will come after the games finish

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What might be their saving grace about a 14-point win is Taylor's injury.

I doubt it, most of the talking heads won't even acknowledge it. They probably also won't acknowledge that the last second TD in the fourth Q for Illinois was vs many of our second stringers and came off a blatant push off by the WR but was called as a PI vs Wisconsin. PC was also very vanilla in this game with the exception of the lateral to the offensive lineman for the TD which made me laugh. I think with all the players resting they treated Illinois like a bye week and didn't take them seriously at all. They better start taking teams seriously because the cake walks are done and some tougher opponents even though not ranked currently are coming up.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Wisconsin (only undefeated team)
2.) OSU (lost at home by 16 points to an above average Oklahoma team
3.) PEDO U: choked vs OSU
4.) Northwestern: Beat MSU and is looking damn good now with 2 solid wins in a row
5.) Michigan: Got their mojo back with a new QB
6.) MSU: little brother comes back down to earth after their fluke win in poor conditions vs big brother

The rest will come after the games finish

I will have Ohio State #1. I said earlier this week the winner of PSU-OSU will be #1. Two of their last three games were an 8 point win vs Purdue and 14 pt win vs Illinois. Outside the Top 10 teams they played (I still expect PSU to still be Top 10), Ohio State has won by 28+ points. Utah State and BYU are the only teams Wisconsin has won by 28 points and they haven't played anyone near Top 10.

I am leaning towards Penn State for #2, but Penn State hasn't beaten anybody either and have a loss. Penn State has the dominant wins, but still have a loss. I did have Wisconsin above Ohio State last week. Ohio State has a big win now.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, most of the talking heads won't even acknowledge it. They probably also won't acknowledge that the last second TD in the fourth Q for Illinois was vs many of our second stringers and came off a blatant push off by the WR but was called as a PI vs Wisconsin. PC was also very vanilla in this game with the exception of the lateral to the offensive lineman for the TD which made me laugh. I think with all the players resting they treated Illinois like a bye week and didn't take them seriously at all. They better start taking teams seriously because the cake walks are done and some tougher opponents even though not ranked currently are coming up.

I am interested where Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson will fall in the CFP Poll this week.

Wisconsin is undefeated but has an easy schedule.

Notre Dame has a brutal schedule with a 1-point loss to Georgia. I think they are deserving to be above Wisconsin right now.

Ohio State has the big win of the week but still has a loss.

Clemson has some wins vs good teams but lost to a Syracuse team they should not lose to. Seems to still be ranked high in the AP and Coaches Polls.

I don't see Clemson being above Wisconsin but I do see Notre Dame and Ohio State being above Wisconsin.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested where Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson will fall in the CFP Poll this week.

Wisconsin is undefeated but has an easy schedule.

Notre Dame has a brutal schedule with a 1-point loss to Georgia. I think they are deserving to be above Wisconsin right now.

Ohio State has the big win of the week but still has a loss.

Clemson has some wins vs good teams but lost to a Syracuse team they should not lose to. Seems to still be ranked high in the AP and Coaches Polls.

I don't see Clemson being above Wisconsin but I do see Notre Dame and Ohio State being above Wisconsin.

I believe both OSU and Notre Dame and potentially PSU will be ranked over Wisconsin in the CFP. No Barry Alverez anymore and Tyrone Willingham will certainly be all over that Notre Dame Bandwagon.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU's loss to Oklahoma looks less and less like a quality loss every week.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings after Week 9

1. Ohio State (7-1, 5-0) - Last Week: 3 - The Buckeyes won the B1G game of the season. Outside the Top 10 opponentss, Ohio State has won by 28+ points. They are the only team in the B1G who scored over 200 points against B1G opponents.

2. Wisconsin (8-0, 5-0)- Last Week: 2 - If Taylor did not go down against Illinois, Wisconsin would have won by more than 14. They still held Illinois to 10 points. Penn State's loss now leaves Wisconsin as the only undefeated B1G team.

3. Penn State (7-1, 4-1) - Last Week: 1 - PSU is right on Wisconsin's heels after their loss against the Buckeyes. Even though Barkley has been struggling, he is going to be one of the better RB in the country.

4. Northwestern (5-3, 3-2)- Last Week: 6 - After starting off 2-3 with two blowout losses, the Wildcats are on a 3-game winning streak. Their latest is a 39-31 (3OT) win against Michigan State. The two NU's are 3-games down on Wisconsin (WIS has tie breaker).

5. Michigan State (6-2, 4-1) - Last Week: 4 - The Wildcats needed three OTs to beat the Spartans. MSU drops their first B1G game vs Northwestern. Even though they gave up 39 points to Northwestern, they are 5th in PA vs B1G opponents.

6. Michigan (6-2, 3-2)- Last Week: 5 - Has Michigan found a QB or did they just face Rutgers? Rutgers is one of 4 B1G teams this season to allow 200+ points. Michigan is 4th in the B1G in PA.

7. Iowa (5-3, 2-3) - Last Week: 7 - The Hawkeyes defense has done a good job keeping teams out of the endzone. Only Wisconsin has allowed less points vs B1G opponents and all season. Penn State was held to 21 points vs Iowa and PSU #2 in B1G in PF overall and PF vs B1G. Ten teams have scored more than Iowa vs B1G and in season.

8. Nebraska (4-4, 3-2) - Last Week: 8 - Nebraska is the only team with a winning B1G record that has allowed more points than they forced, both vs B1G and overall. They defeated Purdue 25-24 and needed a touchdown with 14 seconds left to get the go-ahead score.

9. Maryland (4-4, 2-3) - Last Week: 9 -The Terps breaks a 3-game skid. However, Iow and Nebraska both won as well. Maryland has only beaten Minnesota and Indiana, who has one win vs B1G between them. They started 3-1 and now has gone 1-3 in the 2nd month. The Terps are the only B1G team to allow 200 points vs B1G.

10. Rutgers (3-5, 2-3) - Last Week: 10 - Rutgers were looking good for two weeks vs Illinois and Purdue, but Ohio State nd Michigan have beaten them by a combined 91-14 score. Rutgers is the only B1G East team not to reach 200 points vs B1G.

11. Purdue (3-5, 1-4)- Last Week: 11 - Even though the Boilermakers has lost their last 3 games by a total of 11 points, they still lost them. They have gone 1-3 in their last four games. Their only win is a 14 point win against Minnesota.

12 Minnesota (4-4, 1-4) - Last Week: 13 - The Gophers have allowed less points this season than Michigan State and Northwester. They have only allowed 4 more points than Ohio State and 6 more points than Michigan. But there are 9 B1G teams who scored more points

13. Indiana (3-5, 0-5) - Last Week: 12 - The Hoosiers are the only B1G team with a losing record to score 100 points vs B1G. They are the only B1G team with a losing record to score more than 200 points all season. But they have the 2nd highest PA in both overall and vs B1G.

14. Illinois (2-6, 0-5) - Last Week: 14 - Three B1G teams have scored more points vs B1G opponents than Illinois has scored all season. Five B1G teams have allowed less points than Illinois has allowed vs B1G opponents.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still rank Penn St #1. They went into Columbus and lost by 1. Since everybody knows that home field advantage is worth 3-4 points, Penn St would be stronger on a neutral field. :trash:

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiscosnin will be without their #1 RB in Taylor, their #3 RB in James, #1 WR in Peavy #2 WR in Cephus, #1 FB in Ramish #1 tackler and Safety in Dixon vs Indiana next week.

Sounds like another Bye week for the Badgers. The good news is the starting O-line and D-line is healthy.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiscosnin will be without their #1 RB in Taylor, their #3 RB in James, #1 WR in Peavy #2 WR in Cephus, #1 FB in Ramish #1 tackler and Safety in Dixon vs Indiana next week.

Sounds like another Bye week for the Badgers. The good news is the starting O-line and D-line is healthy.

giphy.webp

If Iowa can find a way to win out, they need Wisconsin to lose to a team like Indiana and Michigan. If that happens, Iowa goes to Indy!

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU's loss to Oklahoma looks less and less like a quality loss every week.
Va Tech went 7-5 in 2014 and we still throttled you and everyone else en route to a title. Doesn't mean anything as long as we win out.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.webp

If Iowa can find a way to win out, they need Wisconsin to lose to a team like Indiana and Michigan. If that happens, Iowa goes to Indy!

Who knows, with so much pressure on Hornytoad he could potentially throw three int's next week. We'll see if this defense can hold up vs an explosive passing attack and while the offense scores maybe 20 points but still has the normal 3 TO's. I don't feel good about this week at all.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State still controls its own future :yes: for the conference title,

until after the game this weekend then we are fucked.:L

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, with so much pressure on Hornytoad he could potentially throw three int's next week. We'll see if this defense can hold up vs an explosive passing attack and while the offense scores maybe 20 points but still has the normal 3 TO's. I don't feel good about this week at all.

Any injuries on D?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State still controls its own future :yes: for the conference title,

until after the game this weekend then we are fucked.:L

Depends how both teams respond to their losses.