• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The #17 pick got real interesting

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry had better players ahead of him as a Freshman and Sophomore.

I am simply saying Cook isn't going to be as good as you seem to think.

First... I dont expect him to be there at 17.

Secondly... I think he will rush for 1300+ yards and 10 TDs in his rookie season.

Third... Henry must have had better players ahead of him his rookie season as well then right??

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First... I dont expect him to be there at 17.

Secondly... I think he will rush for 1300+ yards and 10 TDs in his rookie season.

Third... Henry must have had better players ahead of him his rookie season as well then right??

I think Cook will be there into the 20s.
I think he will be around 1000 and 5 TDs if he is overused. He isn't Zeke.

Henry had an overpriced RB ahead.of him and he outperformed him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cook will be there into the 20s.
I think he will be around 1000 and 5 TDs if he is overused. He isn't Zeke.

Henry had an overpriced RB ahead.of him and he outperformed him.

Actually unless Fournett slides, I would not be at all shocked to see Carolina take Cook at #8. Stewart has alot of city miles on those legs, and their depth chart at RB reads like ours behind him. alot of change of pace backs and no set the pace back. Add in the fact that Cam needs some help in the running game considering he was their second highest rusher, and none of them topped 1000 yards.

Also please define over used, the rushing leader last year had 21 carries a game. So unless you think Cook needs 30 carries a game to reach 1000 yards, thats a tad bit of an odd statement. Because in fact, not a single back in the league had more than 21.8 carries per game last year.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually unless Fournett slides, I would not be at all shocked to see Carolina take Cook at #8. Stewart has alot of city miles on those legs, and their depth chart at RB reads like ours behind him. alot of change of pace backs and no set the pace back. Add in the fact that Cam needs some help in the running game considering he was their second highest rusher, and none of them topped 1000 yards.

Also please define over used, the rushing leader last year had 21 carries a game. So unless you think Cook needs 30 carries a game to reach 1000 yards, thats a tad bit of an odd statement. Because in fact, not a single back in the league had more than 21.8 carries per game last year.

Exactly. The position and lead back is somewhat of a relic. The rushing leader last year was the Dallas OL. I doubt Carolina wastes a first on him when they may be able to get him in the 2nd.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The position and lead back is somewhat of a relic. The rushing leader last year was the Dallas OL. I doubt Carolina wastes a first on him when they may be able to get him in the 2nd.

We shall see. I tend to think that much like QB, there are not enough true lead backs to go around, so teams try to get by with the RB committee and more often than not never develop a real ground game.

Its no coincidence that when Dallas leads the league in rushing yards, their QB stays healthy and they win the division. Its also no coincidence that when we had a RB capable of being the workhorse, we actually won the Division a couple of times as well.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. I tend to think that much like QB, there are not enough true lead backs to go around, so teams try to get by with the RB committee and more often than not never develop a real ground game.

Its no coincidence that when Dallas leads the league in rushing yards, their QB stays healthy and they win the division. Its also no coincidence that when we had a RB capable of being the workhorse, we actually won the Division a couple of times as well.

Or maybe its no coincidence that when they had a good healthy QB they won the division.

Workhorse RBs may be rare but there are plenty of teams doing just fine without them.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe its no coincidence that when they had a good healthy QB they won the division.

Workhorse RBs may be rare but there are plenty of teams doing just fine without them.

Depends on what you consider just fine. I know both you and GK seem to think our ground game was OK. But the reality is, we could use a serious upgrade there. The fact that teams feel comfortable playing a zone defense against us on first and goal from inside the five should be enough to tell you both that our RB position is far from just fine.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what you consider just fine. I know both you and GK seem to think our ground game was OK. But the reality is, we could use a serious upgrade there. The fact that teams feel comfortable playing a zone defense against us on first and goal from inside the five should be enough to tell you both that our RB position is far from just fine.

We could stand to improve and still not need to spend a 1st rounder on a RB. Our RB situation wasnt really any better last year and we were good in the red zone the year before. Red Zone success is very random. A better RB would obviously help. But we dont need a 1st round RB to be successful there.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could stand to improve and still not need to spend a 1st rounder on a RB. Our RB situation wasnt really any better last year and we were good in the red zone the year before. Red Zone success is very random. A better RB would obviously help. But we dont need a 1st round RB to be successful there.

Again the problem is, most of the RBs that will be available in the 3rd or later are no better than what we currently have.We are predictable because we dont have anything more than a bunch of average RBs. And it might just cost a first rounder to get better than a hand full of average change of pace backs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this... even if Cook and Fournett are there at 17, I dont expect Bruce to take either of them. We will force the Defensive pick, or if Watson is there.. .well there you go.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why were lead RBs so plentiful 10 and 20 years ago?

They were just better athletes than the defenses. Now everybody on defense is a great athlete and it diminishes a single player's athleticism. That is why Jim Brown was so great and he wouldn't be successful today.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first 2 rounds we have to land a running back after that it's just another guy on the team

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again the problem is, most of the RBs that will be available in the 3rd or later are no better than what we currently have.We are predictable because we dont have anything more than a bunch of average RBs. And it might just cost a first rounder to get better than a hand full of average change of pace backs.

We've seen in the past that that's not true. It very often costs less than a 1st to get better than average backs. There are also a lot of good teams that don't have more than an average rb.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why were lead RBs so plentiful 10 and 20 years ago?

They were just better athletes than the defenses. Now everybody on defense is a great athlete and it diminishes a single player's athleticism. That is why Jim Brown was so great and he wouldn't be successful today.

\
10 and 20 years ago teams were not stressing the pass game the way they are now.

Bottom line, this team is too pas heavy. We are too pass heavy because our best RB is some one the team doesnt even respect, much less other defenses. But I agree with you guys, we will force the defensive pick, be predictable on offense for another season and again say the real issue is we dont have a QB capable of carrying the team.

Bonus though, look how Green Bay suffered until they got some semblance of a ground game going again.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen in the past that that's not true. It very often costs less than a 1st to get better than average backs. There are also a lot of good teams that don't have more than an average rb.

Name me the RB you expect to be available in the 3rd or later round that you or the rest of the world for that matter thinks is capable of being more than a backup change of pace guy??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I agree, we could get lucky and find another Morris. But odds are we find another Brown, or Kelly type.... an average back forced to start because we dont have any one better.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name me the RB you expect to be available in the 3rd or later round that you or the rest of the world for that matter thinks is capable of being more than a backup change of pace guy??

Not sure if Foreman will be there but he could be a good player. I like Perine. Some people like Kareem Hunt a lot but I havent watched him much. Wayne Gallman might be a good player. And my personal favorite - Jamaal Williams of BYU.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think this is the draft class to argue you cant get a late round RB.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I agree, we could get lucky and find another Morris. But odds are we find another Brown, or Kelly type.... an average back forced to start because we dont have any one better.

Maybe. Or maybe we find somebody better. Reality is, RBs have been found later in drafts quite frequently (for several reasons I think).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if Foreman will be there but he could be a good player. I like Perine. Some people like Kareem Hunt a lot but I havent watched him much. Wayne Gallman might be a good player. And my personal favorite - Jamaal Williams of BYU.

There are 3 Prime RBs in this draft, 4 if you count McCaffery. Three of them will go in the first round. Fournette, Cook and McCaferry. And I dont see Mixon getting past the 10-12th pick in the second round. Again all these guys you named could be GOOD, but most will end up being a part of a RB by committee.... Im tired of seeing us try to do that, because most of the time we just end up abandoning the run game. I want a RB that teams respect.. no fuck that I want a RB that teams fear. We havent had that since 2013, and if we had a QB capable of getting things done when we had that, I think we would have been a much better team. Now we have the QB, if we take that RB even with the first.. I will be ok with that.