• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texpectations

What are the Texpectations in 2015?

• Natty on a Platter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CFP Berth

• Big XII Championship

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 13th game was the EXACT same as the first few last year: lights out D until they tired and gave out, horrible play calling and offensive execution with no leadership, and special teams that left jaws dropped all over the 40 Acres and the great state of Tejas. And has ANYTHING changed in the off-season? No.

6-6 is generous.

You guys are Texas. If you lose 5 games his ass should be in scalding hot water. If you lose 6 games he should be fired and given a big check for getting out the HC position and moving somewhere else. I wasn't one of those who thought this was a good hire in the first place but who knows? Maybe he goes ape and wins 8-10 games this year. Charlie Strong at UT; it just doesn't feel right considering what Texas could have done. See ya in October. We've got our own problems.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong was in my top 3, but Dantonio was my wish-choice.

Any HC at a top tier school deserves, at least, 5 years to get his people and implement his system... lest we become a leaderless revolving door team like the Browns.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any HC at a top tier school deserves, at least, 5 years to get his people and implement his system... lest we become a leaderless revolving door team like the Browns.

Yea, sure. If Texas loses 25-30 games over the first five years of his contract you guys will be set so far back they will have to pump sunshine to you. There is no way UT could survive that. He'd be long gone before the AD would let that happen. This is 2015: money trumps all and losing like that would be expensive.....in a lot of ways.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any HC at a top tier school deserves, at least, 5 years to get his people and implement his system

Uhhh, no to the 5 year thing.
Great Coaches will show you the way starting in year 2.
If Strong is the man, you'll know it this year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, sure. If Texas loses 25-30 games over the first five years of his contract you guys will be set so far back they will have to pump sunshine to you. There is no way UT could survive that. He'd be long gone before the AD would let that happen. This is 2015: money trumps all and losing like that would be expensive.....in a lot of ways.

I think you are underestimating the amount of rot in the program during the end of Mack's tenure. Last year was going to be bad. BYU game featured a starting OL with 6 combined starts. LT was a DT in fall camp. Texas had a true freshman and Swoopes at QB. OL is still a huge problem. This year TExas will at least have a 2 deep, but there is a good chance a true freshman is starting. That is rarely a good thing. The team will be one of the youngest in the country. The schedule is a nightmare. Texas will not be home for games vs ND, TCU, Baylor, and OU. I think 8-5 would be a hell of a result and really have the fan base excited.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't get 5 years to turn shit around getting paid $5M a year in today's era. Meyer took a 6-7 team at tOSU and went undefeated in his first year. Strong inherited an 8-5 team that almost won the Big XII and went 6-7. I don't want to hear excuses. If Meyer can do it NOW, then so can Strong.....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't get 5 years to turn shit around getting paid $5M a year in today's era. Meyer took a 6-7 team at tOSU and went undefeated in his first year. Strong inherited an 8-5 team that almost won the Big XII and went 6-7. I don't want to hear excuses. If Meyer can do it NOW, then so can Strong.....

That is just ignoring the information. Meyer took over one of the most experienced teams in CFB that year. Meyer is a lot of things, but he is also very smart about what jobs he takes. That 8-5 team was what got Mack fired. He laid all his eggs in 1 basket on the 2013 team. He kept pointing to the that team as the team that will get Texas out of the funk. It had a lot of experience. That team was not good. Nice little 8-5 record, but was blown out 5 times. Every job is different. Sometimes you are building from the ground floor and other times you are starting near the penthouse.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops 2nd year NC
Tressel 2nd year NC
Carroll 3rd year NC
Meyer 2nd year NC @ Florida
Saban 3rd year NC

5 years is just Stupid to think about.
If you still have questions about Strong at the end of this year, just fire the guy.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
against all the odds, I'm one who thinks they're going to shock people this year; it will be a step in the right direction. But I'm one of the very few, plus I'm crazy, so there's that.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
against all the odds, I'm one who thinks they're going to shock people this year; it will be a step in the right direction. But I'm one of the very few, plus I'm crazy, so there's that.
I don't think I would use the word "Shock". However, if Strong can find anything that resembles an Offense, matched with what I think will be a very good Defense, I think you guys are on your way back.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I would use the word "Shock". However, if Strong can find anything that resembles an Offense, matched with what I think will be a very good Defense, I think you guys are on your way back.

Deal is, Swoopes cannot be the quarterback for the entire year. He may need to be first game or so, but he's just too damn slow in making decisions. Has a great arm, but the worst quick decision making I've seen in awhile.

Heard will make defenses work, he can cut and move on a dime; before they know what's happening, he's already gone by. So that's where my hope lies this year. It has to be Heard, as soon as possible.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Shock The Nation" part 2, perhaps? I hope you're right, Jefe......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops 2nd year NC
Tressel 2nd year NC
Carroll 3rd year NC
Meyer 2nd year NC @ Florida
Saban 3rd year NC

5 years is just Stupid to think about.
If you still have questions about Strong at the end of this year, just fire the guy.

and then you have guys like Sumlin that do very well with the team they inherited and have seen declining results every year since. It took 4 years for Dantonio to get going. The first year is more about the team inherited, than a coach's abilities. Year 2 is still more about the inherited players. Year 3 is when you finally start to see what a coach is about, as his players really start to see the field. If I had to put numbers on it
year 1: 80% about what was inherited
year 2: 60%
year 3: 40%
year 4: 20%
Year 5: 0%

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal is, Swoopes cannot be the quarterback for the entire year. He may need to be first game or so, but he's just too damn slow in making decisions. Has a great arm, but the worst quick decision making I've seen in awhile.

Heard will make defenses work, he can cut and move on a dime; before they know what's happening, he's already gone by. So that's where my hope lies this year. It has to be Heard, as soon as possible.

Schedule is rally set up for Heard to take over around mid-season. Its very front loaded.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong should be at least (10-2) by the end of year three and threatening the play-off by the end of year four.

Nebraska gave Pleeny too long at 7 years of winning 9 or 10 games, but never getting over the hump. No conference championships or even playing in major bowls. His record against teams with 9 or more wins at the end of the season was attrocious. Something like (5-19).

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and then you have guys like Sumlin that do very well with the team they inherited and have seen declining results every year since. It took 4 years for Dantonio to get going. The first year is more about the team inherited, than a coach's abilities. Year 2 is still more about the inherited players. Year 3 is when you finally start to see what a coach is about, as his players really start to see the field. If I had to put numbers on it
year 1: 80% about what was inherited
year 2: 60%
year 3: 40%
year 4: 20%
Year 5: 0%

The last 2 years of Gibbs
1 year of Howard
3 Years of John Blake.

6 Years of mediocre crap and Bob comes in and wins it in Year 2.
Some would say that, sure, Oklahoma wasn't winning, but they were still Oklahoma and could pull in good recruits, I'd say probably. That's why I dont buy what some are saying about Texas and being completely void of good players.

Texas has the players to do it. Strong is the only question mark in my mind.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year of Howard
3 Years of John Blake.

Some would say that, sure, Oklahoma wasn't winning, but they were still Oklahoma and could pull in good recruits, I'd say probably. That's why I dont buy what some are saying about Texas and being completely void of good players.

In total agreement. 5 players were drafted and 5 more signed FA contracts with NFL teams from last years team. The talent is there. Again, I don't want to hear excuses about a void of talent. I don't want to hear OL excuses b/c tOSU just won the Natty with 4 new starters on the offensive line last year and with a 3rd string QB for fuck's sake! I mean, our arrogant as fuck phrase is, "We're Texas". Well, act like it. There are no excuses for having a losing season, NONE!!!! If Strong has another losing season this year, I have no problem if he gets fired. I'm tired of watching this team get taken to the woodshed at home, I'm tired of this team being owned by mother effing Baylor and watching TCU take our manhood and not giving it back. If the offense is so inept, then Strong should have fired his OC immediately after the bowl game. Shawn Watson fielded the 2nd worst offense in UT history! The talent is there, I refuse to believe that Mack Brown all of a sudden forgot how to recruit and left the cupboard bare (although Mack did drop the ball with Swoopes). Again, enough with the excuses.....

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year of Howard
3 Years of John Blake.

Blake was a recruiting machine, that was his strong suit. He just couldnt coach worth a damn.

CS will be helped much by the players he's recruited this year: the question mark to me is, how does he handle the offense? He already has put Watson on the hot seat, he's not going watch that shit that he watched last year again. So, if the offense sucks this year, Watson is gone, imo.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schedule is rally set up for Heard to take over around mid-season. Its very front loaded.

yeah, I'm hoping that it happens sooner than that. Probably wont, but I think it will :hope:

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about the University of Texas. Texas Longhorns. UT. A football program that has a football stadium with over 100,000 seats. A university with an alumni base that covers the entire country with thousands of fans wearing burnt orange in gyms, shopping centers, etc. A University of Texas Endowment that tops $25 Billion. A school where the head coach can recruit some of the best talent in the country sitting in his favorite recliner at home. And anyone is supposed to believe that Charlie Strong should get more than two years if he's losing games at the rate of 5-6/year? Fuck this PC stuff and you know that's a part of "being patient" with Strong. Fuck it. We fired a black coach at OU and the sun came up the next day. If the guy isn't producing you need to fire him. Get someone else. Years of failure under Mack Brown + abiding failure from Charlie Strong would do horrible damage to the Texas football program. Go get David Shaw. Or Mark Dantonio. But forget Charlie if he's laying 5-6 eggs every season.