• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tee Higgins

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salaries don't go back down. Figuring that he'll be a F/A in '24, 15-18 would put him well down the list by then. I think 20-22 is the minimum. Just how salaries are going for that position right now.

Yes, he could still be here, and yes he could take a pay cut...will he? We'll see, but history isn't on the Bengals' side. That being said - maybe extending this off-season for a good amount, 3 years, and then getting to test F/a again at a nice young age still for a WR could be an optional way to go.

A - Chase is worth 30M.

B - I don't think it's Browns call any longer. He's largely been moved off day to day and other decisions. He's more of a figurehead owner at this point. They let him know what they are doing, and maybe he has a say, but if Burrow walks in that door and says "Pay that man" they will pay that man.
I don't think any WR is worth $30, but I digress. I hope the Bengals do keep Chase. I just see them trying to lock Tee in, and with that said, as we are seeing right now without Chase, Burrow can make any WR look good, and these guy want to ride or die with Burrow. They will do anything to earn his respect.

Ja'Marr's interviews just seem like he could become a malcontent. Like he is believing a little too much hype about himself and starting to demand a certain number of touches. Yes, he is a difference maker and getting him the ball makes sense, but forcing a ball to make him content on his touches seems like something this offense needs to steer clear of.

I am in no way saying get rid of Chase, I want to see him hang around, but I don't see Chase as a guy that takes any kind of discount. That he feels he can win anywhere because he makes a QB great, and he will move on to whatever team pays him the most. That just seems like Chase to me based on listening to him talk in interviews.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any WR is worth $30, but I digress. I hope the Bengals do keep Chase. I just see them trying to lock Tee in, and with that said, as we are seeing right now without Chase, Burrow can make any WR look good, and these guy want to ride or die with Burrow. They will do anything to earn his respect.

Ja'Marr's interviews just seem like he could become a malcontent. Like he is believing a little too much hype about himself and starting to demand a certain number of touches. Yes, he is a difference maker and getting him the ball makes sense, but forcing a ball to make him content on his touches seems like something this offense needs to steer clear of.

I am in no way saying get rid of Chase, I want to see him hang around, but I don't see Chase as a guy that takes any kind of discount. That he feels he can win anywhere because he makes a QB great, and he will move on to whatever team pays him the most. That just seems like Chase to me based on listening to him talk in interviews.
Top 5 WR's make:

$30M, 28, 27, 26, 25.

No one in the top 14 makes less than 20M, and 15 is Brandon Cooks at $19.8 - and figure that it will go up as the cap goes up and as other WR's get theirs. If Chase continues to show he's a league #1 All-Pro, you better believe he's going to be in the 30's.

I don't worry about malcontent stuff - he's not an issue now, and that's all we can go off. Trying to project if someone is/isn't going to be an issue is not a game to play, IMO.

I think you are projecting a bit too much of what you want to see in Higgins and Chase to make it match your own ends. I agree, either can take a discount and may do so in some ways to stick with a really good offense/QB. Higgins grew up a Bengals fan, and maybe he wants to stay where he knows he can take advantage of teams focusing on Chase. Then again, I can also see where Higgins knows Chase is going to get the money, and he wants his, too. No shame in that. Also, maybe, he thinks he can be a legit #1 somewhere not splitting targets as he's shown before Chase, and during this stretch, he doesn't need another guy to take the defense away from him to be successful.

Chase could also ask for the world, he'll certainly earn it. He could also realize he wants to stick with Burrow and take a bit less to stay with the QB that he's known since college.

It can split either way, but if I'm paying only one of those guys, it's Chase every day of the week and twice on Sunday - and that's when they play the games :)

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 WR's make:

$30M, 28, 27, 26, 25.

No one in the top 14 makes less than 20M, and 15 is Brandon Cooks at $19.8 - and figure that it will go up as the cap goes up and as other WR's get theirs. If Chase continues to show he's a league #1 All-Pro, you better believe he's going to be in the 30's.

I don't worry about malcontent stuff - he's not an issue now, and that's all we can go off. Trying to project if someone is/isn't going to be an issue is not a game to play, IMO.

I think you are projecting a bit too much of what you want to see in Higgins and Chase to make it match your own ends. I agree, either can take a discount and may do so in some ways to stick with a really good offense/QB. Higgins grew up a Bengals fan, and maybe he wants to stay where he knows he can take advantage of teams focusing on Chase. Then again, I can also see where Higgins knows Chase is going to get the money, and he wants his, too. No shame in that. Also, maybe, he thinks he can be a legit #1 somewhere not splitting targets as he's shown before Chase, and during this stretch, he doesn't need another guy to take the defense away from him to be successful.

Chase could also ask for the world, he'll certainly earn it. He could also realize he wants to stick with Burrow and take a bit less to stay with the QB that he's known since college.

It can split either way, but if I'm paying only one of those guys, it's Chase every day of the week and twice on Sunday - and that's when they play the games :)
I didn't realize that many WR's made that much money. I thought there was only 6 to 7 in the $20+ million range.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that many WR's made that much money. I thought there was only 6 to 7 in the $20+ million range.
Yeah, the last 2 years EXPLODED...and with the cap going up, agents know this is the time to strike...sucks..is what it is.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think Chase has handled his success very well. He doesn't seem like a diva at all.... He doesn't pout when they double him, he blocks on running plays, and according to training camp reports he practices like he's a 7th round pick on his last chance with the team. You look at some of the immaturity at that position across the league, and Chase is like an old soul. I think his buddy Jefferson is very similar - These guys seem to get it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he's better than TJ Whosyourmama was, but he's top 10 in yards and top 15 or 20 or something in receiving. let's not get ahead of ourselves, it all matters where he'd really like to play, if he stays healthy, and so on. Chase is our guy at WR, we're hanging on to him. boyd is up at the end of 2023 as well. maybe they keep one of them, just depends on if they get a huge offer from a desperate team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think Chase has handled his success very well. He doesn't seem like a diva at all.... He doesn't pout when they double him, he blocks on running plays, and according to training camp reports he practices like he's a 7th round pick on his last chance with the team. You look at some of the immaturity at that position across the league, and Chase is like an old soul. I think his buddy Jefferson is very similar - These guys seem to get it.
I don't disagree with you at all in those terms. I am just reading into what he is saying and how he is saying it in some locker room interviews. I think he is fine right now. I can see it going in a different direction if he is not getting the ball and not doing what he is doing now. However, we have seen Chase completely eliminated in a game. He doesn't have the same height as Higgins to get the jump balls, so it is hard to just force it to him all the time. The less protection Chase has on the other side, the more he is double coveraged and when Burrow needs a completion, he will have to find a Trent Irwin because he is not going to risk throwing an important ball in double coverage to a guy the same size as the CB's.

I am not saying Chase is unimportant, I am just saying Higgins is as well.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you at all in those terms. I am just reading into what he is saying and how he is saying it in some locker room interviews. I think he is fine right now. I can see it going in a different direction if he is not getting the ball and not doing what he is doing now. However, we have seen Chase completely eliminated in a game. He doesn't have the same height as Higgins to get the jump balls, so it is hard to just force it to him all the time. The less protection Chase has on the other side, the more he is double coveraged and when Burrow needs a completion, he will have to find a Trent Irwin because he is not going to risk throwing an important ball in double coverage to a guy the same size as the CB's.

I think that has more to do with Burrow just looking at other options when teams double Chase. For whatever reason, teams haven't doubled Tee very often, even when Chase is out. If you look at some of the clips from the Titans game, it looked like they were fixated on eliminating Boyd in the middle of the field. Maybe they figured their D-line would get home and they could live with one-on-ones on the outside with Tee because they wouldn't be able to develop..... Obviously didn't work very well. Miami was another team that Tee really burned and that was because he was one-on-one for most of the game. I do think Tee has demonstrated that he is a #1 receiver. He makes big plays and continues to get better. And he's really young. Plus, you can't teach size. I just fear the combination of his agent and other deals to sign are going to make it hard.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's a product of Burrow...when it comes down to it, if you are going to throw money at 1 WR - it's Chase. Hands down. No discussion.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to work something out with Higgins - they absolutely should. But, if he's wanting to be paid, it's not going to happen here. What Burrow is showing both, before Chase was here, and with his injury - when he's got just 1 WR - he can still make things work.

Again - would love to have both - but if the Bengals feel like they are forced to choose one....there is one who is clearly playing at the top of the league, and also doesn't hurt that he and Burrow have been playing for nearly 3-4 years together already, despite just being in the league a little over 1.5 seasons...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that has more to do with Burrow just looking at other options when teams double Chase. For whatever reason, teams haven't doubled Tee very often, even when Chase is out. If you look at some of the clips from the Titans game, it looked like they were fixated on eliminating Boyd in the middle of the field. Maybe they figured their D-line would get home and they could live with one-on-ones on the outside with Tee because they wouldn't be able to develop..... Obviously didn't work very well. Miami was another team that Tee really burned and that was because he was one-on-one for most of the game. I do think Tee has demonstrated that he is a #1 receiver. He makes big plays and continues to get better. And he's really young. Plus, you can't teach size. I just fear the combination of his agent and other deals to sign are going to make it hard.
Yep. Titans were going to play deep, and then zone out the middle to take away Boyd. Saw a lot of 1-1 on the outside, which is where Burrow got it done on that final drive.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
user generated

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this whole Hamlin thing will make him want to stay here, even possibly at a lower price, as the team has definitely shown their support for him, or make him want to leave to get away from the constant reminder of it, and/or if it’s still just all about money.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this whole Hamlin thing will make him want to stay here, even possibly at a lower price, as the team has definitely shown their support for him, or make him want to leave to get away from the constant reminder of it, and/or if it’s still just all about money.
This is where I think fans over analyze things...

I'd be willing to bet this incident has zero impact on his future. The bottom line will be dollars and cents, how much he wants, how much another team is going to be willing to pay, and how much the Bengals are willing, and able, to at least get close to that number...

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can see us drafting another rookie WR if our starters 'graduate' to larger contracts.

I agree with this...

Burrow and Chase get blank checks but every other skill player is expendable due to salary cap purposes.

When you factor in age, production and long-term potential Higgins is probably a top 10 WR in terms of value on the open market.
If they re-sign him, great, but they'll have a large percentage of the cap tied up in the passing game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not even a week into the Bengals offseason and its already silly season with rumors about Higgins. Lots of speculation that the Bengals HAVE to negotiate a deal with him this offseason.... Or that they'll trade him for some serious draft capital.

These folks don't pay attention to the way the Bengals do business. They might try to negotiate with Higgins but they are not going to be held hostage by his agent. This same agent made the same threats with Bates. The Bengals played the Bates situation perfectly - They didn't pay top 5 safety to a top 10 player. They controlled his rights to a 4th year on a team-friendly deal and paid out a franchise tag year, all while keeping the D together for an impressive two-year run.

This is the play with Higgins..... Offer him a fair long-term deal but don't break the bank. His agent won't go for it... Fine - Higgins plays the year out on his rookie deal and we still have the option to franchise him the next year. These next two years will be critical for the franchise as we should have enough of this core in their prime to be SB contenders.

Higgins won't sit out.... He can't sit out. There are too many talented receivers coming into the league each year. His payday revolves around him continuing to put up big numbers - Something that is easily possible on this team with Burrow as his QB. Worst case scenario is that he makes 3 million his 4th season and 20 million for his FT year. That's a steep tag and things could shake out before that point.