• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tee Higgins

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to stop reading Bengals Twitter.... Fans are already crying about losing Tee Higgins because he has the same agent as Jessie Bates. The dude still has 2 years left on his deal!

What is the obsession with Higgins? I like him a lot.... Great talent, plays hurt, doesn't appear selfish or diva-like. But damn, you'd figure he was an all-pro the way our fans talk about him. He is nowhere near the talent that Chase is.... If he walks in 2 years, you draft a guy or find someone else that would dream of playing on the opposite side of the field from Chase.

BTW - I'm hoping Higgins puts up 1800 yards this season and this post doesn't age well.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins might be good enough to be a #1 receiver somewhere and make bank.

maybe he'll go to Detroit, Atlanta, or Arizona. those seem like typical places for our graduating players. Or even New England.

The thing with Bates is the 2 parties are just too far away on the contract. He doesn't realize he's negotiating with the Bengals, so he'll literally have to sit out an entire season, which is kind of stupid. but whatever.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals have always been relatively fair in their contracts. No, they may not break the bank on some of the guys, but the reality is - they see the vast majority of their contract and their money. Other teams sign guys to these mega deals knowing they'll never see 40% of the actual cash. In the end, maybe the Bengals saved a few million/players left a few million on the table - but likely worth it knowing they don't have to make any changes, stay where they've been good, and will be taken care of by the organization. Bengals have done a lot of things poorly over the years, but they have always seemed to value every one of their players and taken care of them.

Bates will get his money from somewhere, but likely lost money by not getting an extension done last year, getting a bump in that last year, and getting the tag this year (especially if he sits out and misses games) - sure, he'll get that "paper" money/contract, but likely lost out on actualizing the real monetary returns had he swallowed a little bit of his pride and signed (Let's face it, we all love Bates, but he's simply not a top 2-3-4 Safety in the game).

Tying this in with Tee: If he's willing to look around and realize what the Bengals are building on offense around Burrow - he'll likely realize that he can get paid similarly, stay with Joe and Chase and know that he can be a guy that is a part of a big-time offense. Sure, he could get more, and likely get a shot at being #1 - but we've seen the road littered with guys who were #2's, left to be #1's and realized that life in the spotlight is tough - especially since it's usually lower tier teams paying the big money to land them - QB isn't as good, supporting cast isn't as good...they may get their stats, but it's always a struggle....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals have always been relatively fair in their contracts. No, they may not break the bank on some of the guys, but the reality is - they see the vast majority of their contract and their money. Other teams sign guys to these mega deals knowing they'll never see 40% of the actual cash. In the end, maybe the Bengals saved a few million/players left a few million on the table - but likely worth it knowing they don't have to make any changes, stay where they've been good, and will be taken care of by the organization. Bengals have done a lot of things poorly over the years, but they have always seemed to value every one of their players and taken care of them.

Bates will get his money from somewhere, but likely lost money by not getting an extension done last year, getting a bump in that last year, and getting the tag this year (especially if he sits out and misses games) - sure, he'll get that "paper" money/contract, but likely lost out on actualizing the real monetary returns had he swallowed a little bit of his pride and signed (Let's face it, we all love Bates, but he's simply not a top 2-3-4 Safety in the game).

Tying this in with Tee: If he's willing to look around and realize what the Bengals are building on offense around Burrow - he'll likely realize that he can get paid similarly, stay with Joe and Chase and know that he can be a guy that is a part of a big-time offense. Sure, he could get more, and likely get a shot at being #1 - but we've seen the road littered with guys who were #2's, left to be #1's and realized that life in the spotlight is tough - especially since it's usually lower tier teams paying the big money to land them - QB isn't as good, supporting cast isn't as good...they may get their stats, but it's always a struggle....
Tee Higgins is 23 years old. If I were him, I'd look to sign a new deal next offseason. Sign a 4 year deal at fair value and you are free agent again at 28 - which still leaves several seasons of prime for a receiver. You'll cash in twice. Playing hardball could make him wait until he is 26 to hit free agency. Now that third deal might never really materialize - Or it will, but it will be worth a lot less. This is what Bates did to himself.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tee Higgins is 23 years old. If I were him, I'd look to sign a new deal next offseason. Sign a 4 year deal at fair value and you are free agent again at 28 - which still leaves several seasons of prime for a receiver. You'll cash in twice. Playing hardball could make him wait until he is 26 to hit free agency. Now that third deal might never really materialize - Or it will, but it will be worth a lot less. This is what Bates did to himself.
Yeah, the game has kind of changed a bit with the ability to extend earlier on some of these guys (especially 1st round guys who can have a 5th year option picked up). Now there is real value in looking to extend/sign that 2nd contract - not because that's the "money" contract like it was 5-8-10 years ago, but because if you can extend early enough, you not only get a bump/raise - you get the opportunity to see yourself hit the F/A market at a reasonable age when there is potential that the team may not extend you for a 2nd time.

Basically - instead of playing it out - 1st rookie contract to completion, 2nd big contract through prime years, 3rd smaller contract on backside of career...you could get:

1st contract through year 3, extension that gets you good raise through mid 20's, and 3rd contract that still sees you on the market at age 26, 27 with more prime years available - you get another solid contract, and could still see a smaller contract in the early 30's.

Long story short - you have a much higher earning potential with option 2. It may mean making a bit less here or there, but you increase the longevity of your contracting availability and increase the amount of potential to see salary bumps throughout.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thinking is the 5 year plan for the Bengals passing game involves them keeping their most productive receiver, Chase if he stays healthy, drafting a serviceable #2 receiver and landing a stud #1 TE

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thinking is the 5 year plan for the Bengals passing game involves them keeping their most productive receiver, Chase if he stays healthy, drafting a serviceable #2 receiver and landing a stud #1 TE
I think Hurst is going to be a surprise. IMO, he's talented. I would not have minded to see them sign him to a 2-3 year deal...

But, I agree...you pay Chase as long as he's a clear #1, and you draft/sign FA to fill in next to him. People are going to want to be that #2 option knowing they can make bank on a future contract putting up stats on a team that will be focused on Chase as the #1.

Again - why so many guys who are #2's go on and find how real the struggle is to be a #1...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hurst is going to be a surprise. IMO, he's talented. I would not have minded to see them sign him to a 2-3 year deal...

But, I agree...you pay Chase as long as he's a clear #1, and you draft/sign FA to fill in next to him. People are going to want to be that #2 option knowing they can make bank on a future contract putting up stats on a team that will be focused on Chase as the #1.

Again - why so many guys who are #2's go on and find how real the struggle is to be a #1...
Hurst is going to be an interesting case. If he has a career year, he'll be a hot commodity in free agency. The Bengals aren'g going to want to do a long deal with him because they'll have other deals they need to sign. My bet would be that they would franchise tag him if he has a big year, so that they can keep him for one more season. And then they'd likely look to develop someone going forward.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurst is going to be an interesting case. If he has a career year, he'll be a hot commodity in free agency. The Bengals aren'g going to want to do a long deal with him because they'll have other deals they need to sign. My bet would be that they would franchise tag him if he has a big year, so that they can keep him for one more season. And then they'd likely look to develop someone going forward.
Yep, or you hope that he realizes the Burrow effect, and takes a slightly below market deal, but fair, knowing he can be a key cog on a winning team.

Regardless, I think he can really show people what a true "receiving" TE is capable of with Burrow at QB, Chase/Higgins on the outsides, and Boyd/Mixon also on the field....I really liked CJ - but his best year was just last year, and going into year 8, it's fair to wonder just how much more he would have in the tank to, not only, take it to another level for this offense, but maintain that level over the next 3+ years.

Hurst already has a season that exceeds CJ's best year, and is going into just his 5th year. More upside, IMO, talent-wise but also more upside with the years/ability to maintain production (should they re-sign him).

We certainly will miss his leadership, but there are still guys around to fill that gap. No doubt Boyd and Burrow on offense along with Mixon and the new OL - all bring a ton of experience and leadership qualities. Defensively, I think Reader, Bell, Awuzi and Wilson will be you guys with Bates not being there...we'll miss those guys and what they bring in terms of intangibles, but there are guys in the wings ready to step up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tee grew up a Bengals fan, and a Chad Johnson fan. I am not saying he will take less, but I can see him telling his agent, get it done within reason, because he wants to stay in Cincinnati. Plus, you have Chase opposite you drawing coverage and Joe Burrow throwing you the ball. I couldn't imagine a better place for a WR if they are borderline #1 type WR, but not clear cut, and is willing to take top tier #2 WR money. He can bank now like Cincy said, see his stats just soar because of the coverage Chase demands, and sign that next contract at age 28 for another 4 years with a ridiculous statistical resume.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's that guy.... wouldn't sign...... went to detroit......can't remember his name....a #2....... any way maybe he's happy. but I doubt it. probably was able to buy another car or house. you don't hear his name much.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
higgins is our scottie f'ing Pippen

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's that guy.... wouldn't sign...... went to detroit......can't remember his name....a #2....... any way maybe he's happy. but I doubt it. probably was able to buy another car or house. you don't hear his name much.
Marvin Jones. Now stuck in Jacksonville.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reviving this after Tee Higgins went out and made him some MONEY while Chase has been out. I don't think he's a true top tier #1, but someone will pay him to be their #1 - and I think he will do good things for them. It won't be the Bengals.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reviving this after Tee Higgins went out and made him some MONEY while Chase has been out. I don't think he's a true top tier #1, but someone will pay him to be their #1 - and I think he will do good things for them. It won't be the Bengals.
I disagree. I think it will be the Bengals. I also predict Tee takes a little less to stay here. $15 million per. However, that means bye bye Boyd and Mixon. I think Chase is the one we will not be able to afford. I see Mike Brown doubling down on Burrow's ability. We sign Burrow to that mega contract, sign Tee to a more team friendly deal, Chase asks for the moon, we franchise tag him one to two years, or trade him for a small fortune just like the Chiefs did with Hill.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think it will be the Bengals. I also predict Tee takes a little less to stay here. $15 million per. However, that means bye bye Boyd and Mixon. I think Chase is the one we will not be able to afford. I see Mike Brown doubling down on Burrow's ability. We sign Burrow to that mega contract, sign Tee to a more team friendly deal, Chase asks for the moon, we franchise tag him one to two years, or trade him for a small fortune just like the Chiefs did with Hill.
$15M a year would be travesty if you are Higgins and/or his agent. I mean, he's not going to get top tier #1 WR money, but he's not getting less than 22-24M a year, IMO. The cap is going up and last year the WR contracts skyrocketed. Only means it's going to go up from there.

If you are going to throw stupid money at the WR position, it's Chase. He's a clear cut #1, and he's Burrow's guy. If anything, I could see those two taking a bit less to stay together than Higgins, who also happens to have Bate's agent...and say what you want, but I think that plays a factor.

Another factor - he's only 23 right now, meaning he's going to hit F/A at a very nice age.

We'll see how it plays out, but I don't think he's here in 2 years unless they tag him for 1 additional year....Bengals need to draft a WR this year, for sure, and get them a year into the system. Boyd is also going to be gone (contracts end at the same time) and I don't see how he gets re-signed at nearly 30 by then.

Maybe they shift Boyd's contract to Higgins, give him an additional 10M with the increase in the cap and that gets it done...A lot of time, but bottom line was: Higgins made himself money showing he can carry a WR room without Chase, which I don't think comes as any surprise to us having watched him the year before Chase got here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$15M a year would be travesty if you are Higgins and/or his agent. I mean, he's not going to get top tier #1 WR money, but he's not getting less than 22-24M a year, IMO. The cap is going up and last year the WR contracts skyrocketed. Only means it's going to go up from there.

If you are going to throw stupid money at the WR position, it's Chase. He's a clear cut #1, and he's Burrow's guy. If anything, I could see those two taking a bit less to stay together than Higgins, who also happens to have Bate's agent...and say what you want, but I think that plays a factor.

Another factor - he's only 23 right now, meaning he's going to hit F/A at a very nice age.

We'll see how it plays out, but I don't think he's here in 2 years unless they tag him for 1 additional year....Bengals need to draft a WR this year, for sure, and get them a year into the system. Boyd is also going to be gone (contracts end at the same time) and I don't see how he gets re-signed at nearly 30 by then.

Maybe they shift Boyd's contract to Higgins, give him an additional 10M with the increase in the cap and that gets it done...A lot of time, but bottom line was: Higgins made himself money showing he can carry a WR room without Chase, which I don't think comes as any surprise to us having watched him the year before Chase got here.
I believe those WR contracts will settle a little bit, not much but a little. However, the elite will still get that 24-30 million. I think Higgins value will be around $18 to $20 million...so $15 million would be a pay cut. However, he is about as much of a team player as I have ever seen, and he grew up a big Bengals fan and wanted to be here. I am not saying he needs to cut his throat to prove his loyalty, but if you are going to keep a core of stars together that work well together, they are going to have to take a cut.

I don't see Mike Brown paying $30 million for a WR.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins has made himself some cash and given his agent, I think he's pricing himself out for the Bengals. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Tee's best move would be to sign a 3 year extension (last year of rookie deal plus another 3 years) for a big (but not top 5) number. Then he goes up again at 27 or 28 for a second big deal. But, given his agent, I assume things will be bumpy and Tee might eventually just play on a tag here before becoming a FA.

Though most are focusing on the idea that Tee can be a number 1 (agreed), there is a flip side to this.... Burrow is demonstrating that he can move the ball with one great receiver and a bunch of parts. I don't think Burrow needs Tee and Chase to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. And I'm sure the Bengals (and Burrow) are learning about the value of a good D. Unless Burrow wants to start shooting it out every week, he'd probably be happy to push some of that money over to the defensive side.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe those WR contracts will settle a little bit, not much but a little. However, the elite will still get that 24-30 million. I think Higgins value will be around $18 to $20 million...so $15 million would be a pay cut. However, he is about as much of a team player as I have ever seen, and he grew up a big Bengals fan and wanted to be here. I am not saying he needs to cut his throat to prove his loyalty, but if you are going to keep a core of stars together that work well together, they are going to have to take a cut.

I don't see Mike Brown paying $30 million for a WR.
Salaries don't go back down. Figuring that he'll be a F/A in '24, 15-18 would put him well down the list by then. I think 20-22 is the minimum. Just how salaries are going for that position right now.

Yes, he could still be here, and yes he could take a pay cut...will he? We'll see, but history isn't on the Bengals' side. That being said - maybe extending this off-season for a good amount, 3 years, and then getting to test F/a again at a nice young age still for a WR could be an optional way to go.

A - Chase is worth 30M.

B - I don't think it's Browns call any longer. He's largely been moved off day to day and other decisions. He's more of a figurehead owner at this point. They let him know what they are doing, and maybe he has a say, but if Burrow walks in that door and says "Pay that man" they will pay that man.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins has made himself some cash and given his agent, I think he's pricing himself out for the Bengals. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Tee's best move would be to sign a 3 year extension (last year of rookie deal plus another 3 years) for a big (but not top 5) number. Then he goes up again at 27 or 28 for a second big deal. But, given his agent, I assume things will be bumpy and Tee might eventually just play on a tag here before becoming a FA.

Though most are focusing on the idea that Tee can be a number 1 (agreed), there is a flip side to this.... Burrow is demonstrating that he can move the ball with one great receiver and a bunch of parts. I don't think Burrow needs Tee and Chase to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. And I'm sure the Bengals (and Burrow) are learning about the value of a good D. Unless Burrow wants to start shooting it out every week, he'd probably be happy to push some of that money over to the defensive side.
Agreed. I always make the point that if you have a good thing going, the best thing you can do is to win and prolong the career - that means more money.

Taking less now can, in fact, mean more money later. It's a risk, sure, but it's one that has some merit. Otherwise, you can rob the bank, and cry poor every year when they struggle to break .500 because of little cap room.

Burro's contract is the 1st domino, really, that has to fall. They need to get him under contract and know exactly what they have in him before the trickledown effect can occur. He's eligible this off-season, and I think Allen's contract in Buff is a structure to follow. Go that route, and then from there start on your next tier of guys.