• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taggart to FSU

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching SEC fans ride Mullen's nuts. What's really funny is that Florida wanted Chip Kelly before Mullen. That's actually hilarious

Yeah, not even their first choice. That is amusing.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming that you are saying that Taggart is FSU's first choice.
Has he been the #1 target all along?

From the moment it was 100% clear that Jimbo was gone, his has been the name at the top of the list from my understanding...

Other mentions were Sumlin (Really that would be in bad form, don't you think? A&M steals our coach and we hir the one they didn't want?), and Charlie Strong (A good guy who runs a clean program but doesn't win like he needs to)...

And also heard some fringe calls for James Franklin (Not sure he'd leave Penn State) and Lane Kiffin which is a big HELL NO in my book.

Also, I saw it stated where our AD wanted a black head coach. That kinda didn't sit well with me, as it kind of limits the field dramatically right out of the gate... I have ZERO problem having a black head coach, but don't like it being used as criteria for the hire is all...

Anyway, boil it all down and yeah, pretty sure Taggart was our first choice.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the moment it was 100% clear that Jimbo was gone,

Just from a far away observer, I'd have to say that the Jimbo thing was years in the making and that this year was just a great big "fuck you" by Jimbo, so I'm not really thinking it came as some great surprise to the administration.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching SEC fans ride Mullen's nuts. What's really funny is that Florida wanted Chip Kelly before Mullen. That's actually hilarious

Taggert locked in the best recruiting class in Oregon's history for 2018 and most kids were from Florida. :idea:
Gators search unmasked: Longtime Florida insider dishes on Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly, Mike Gundy

we now have a glimpse behind the curtain at some of those exciting twists and turns that led to Dan Mullen being the replacement for Jim McElwain in Gainesville.

While there’s really no replacing a thorough read of Dooley’s synopsis of the coaching search, which gives a glimpse into the mind of Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin, we’ll try to hit some of the highlights for you. It really is fascinating information.

Scott Stricklin
  • Appears to have wanted to hire Dan Mullen all along, but was uneasy about “poaching” him from Mississippi State, Stricklin’s alma mater and former employer).
  • Reached out to Gators greats like Tim Tebow, Danny Wuerffel, Steve Spurrier and others to get their input on what type of coach needed to be the next leader of the Gators.
Chip Kelly
  • Was initially crossed off the list of candidates due to his NCAA show-cause penalty, but reemerged after his agent reached out to the Gators to express interest.
  • Stricklin visited Kelly in New Hampshire twice. The second visit, which received much publicity, was to allow Dr. Kent Fuchs to meet Kelly to sign off on a potential deal. There was no agreement after this meeting, signed or otherwise.
  • Kelly called Florida several days before agreeing to coach at UCLA to tell them that the “fishbowl” atmosphere was not for him.
Dan Mullen
  • Was considering a move to Tennessee after the Egg Bowl, which pressured Florida to get things done.
  • Hammered out details with Stricklin through a series of conversations that began on Friday after the Egg Bowl and carried through Saturday night after the FSU game.
Scott Frost
  • Florida was afraid to wait for Frost to complete his season at UCF because it feared he would choose Nebraska. Ultimately, he did so.
  • Florida had concerns that he only had two seasons of head coaching experience, and had not been a coach in the Power 5.
Mike Gundy (mystery candidate?)
  • Though Mike Gundy was not named specifically in this discussion, a “mystery candidate” believe to be the Oklahoma State coach emerged late in the process.
  • Stricklin did not feel as though the interest was genuine after phone conversations.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just from a far away observer, I'd have to say that the Jimbo thing was years in the making and that this year was just a great big "fuck you" by Jimbo, so I'm not really thinking it came as some great surprise to the administration.

Eh, he was always going to be tough to keep happy, but when he didn't go to LSU I thought he might stick around awhile. But hey, the A&M AD is apparently a buddy of his and they offered him a pretty ludicrous contract that I think we were just tired of it all honestly?

Didn't see it as a "fuck you" by Jimbo necessarily. Hell, the way this season went down the tubes, I think there is a portion of our fanbase that feels it was time for him to go anyway... Spoiled... yes. I personally was kind of indifferent to the whole thing. As I think I've said, I love his recruiting, but have not been a huge fan of the coaching of late. Our offense is pretty vanilla quite honestly and "pro style" which is boring these days. Its great for the QB prospects as a selling point, but seeing what we've cranked out at the position under Jimbo, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe he isn't quite the QB wizard that people think he is. Jameis looks like a bad version of Roethlisberger, EJ Manuel? LOL!!

So anyway, point is that if there was a "fuck you", I think it went both ways. It was time.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And also, as a "far away observer" you aren't as familiar with Taggart as we are. Most are very happy with the hire.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting because I am pretty sure Florida really wanted Scott Frost.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People just don't get it I guess.. We lost Bobby Bowden and won a natty. Jimbo sucked ass the last 2-3 years as a coach. He recruited well because of the history of FSU and the state is loaded with HS talent.
What don't people get then? Texas also has loads of talent. And before you claim that he will not be able to compete with the likes of the other Tejas schools lets remember FSU wasn't the only bull in the pen in Florida.

And lastly, before you claim offense to my remark let me state I also agree Fisher will stumble at A&M and he is no where worth the money they are planning to pay him.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Taggart wasn't FSU's first choice then idk who was.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Mullen went 3-0 Against Florida St when he was the OC at Florida between 2005-2008. Florida fell apart after he left.

You can also kiss the years of Florida not having a good QB goodbye.

Wake Forest went 3-1 against Florida State from 2005-2008. FSU wasn't very good at the time.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What don't people get then? Texas also has loads of talent. And before you claim that he will not be able to compete with the likes of the other Tejas schools lets remember FSU wasn't the only bull in the pen in Florida.

And lastly, before you claim offense to my remark let me state I also agree Fisher will stumble at A&M and he is no where worth the money they are planning to pay him.

Texas has alot of talent just not as much as Florida.

Florida has 7 - 5 star athletes according to Rivals. Texas has 1.
Florida has 16 - 4 star athletes. Texas has 6

That's 23 - 7 in the top 100

Jimbo is out of his mind and on a high horse. Been that way gradually since the natty.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake Forest went 3-1 against Florida State from 2005-2008. FSU wasn't very good at the time.

Including an embarrassing shut out in Doak IIRC... Was like 30-0 or something I think?

Ahhhhhh, Jeff Bowden....