• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Winners Since the Turn of the Century

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a noticeable difference. They fair head/shoulders better. I knew it would be a bit better. This is a good margin, though.

00 - Ravens. Back in 12 years.

01 - Pats. Back in 2 years.

02 - Bucs. No return.

03 - Pats win 2nd. Back the following year.

04 - Pats win 3rd. Back in 3 years.

05 - Steelers. Back in 3 years.

06 - Colts. Back in 3 years.

07 - Giants. Back in 4 years.

08 - Steelers win 2nd. Back in 2 years.

09 - Saints. No return.

10 - Packers. No return.

11 - Giants win 2nd. No return since.

12 - Ravens win 2nd. No return since.

13 - Seattle. Back the following year.

14 - Seattle. Losses 2nd try and no return since.

15 - Denver. No return.

16 - Patriots win 4th. - Return the following year.

17 - Eagles. No return.

18 - Patriots win 5th. No return since.

19 - Chiefs. ?

- 6 of the franchises returned. 5 did not.

- Baltimore was the only return that took a HC change/team overhaul in between. The longest, by far, at 12 years. After that the durations for the other 9 returns are all 4 to 1 years. With the only coaching change being Cowher's retirement and Tomlin taking over the same core to win a SB in his first season.

- Bucs, Saints, Packers, Broncos and Eagles are the teams not to return for a 2nd. Eagles were quite recent and still have the same regime. Saints with the same HC/QB but clearly huge turnover outside of that.

- Seattle and Indy are the two teams to return but fail to win a 2nd. NE, NYG, PIT and Baltimore won a 2nd SB. So, 4 of the 11 total franchises won a 2nd.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
free-animated-gifs-of-confused-travolta-john-travolta-pulp-fiction-kisses-himself.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where Veach comes in. He made a lot of moves last offseason and at first glance it looked like the defense didn't improve much but in reality the pieces added in the secondary and the DT rotation were enough to win a Super Bowl.

Teams are going to be running outside zone against Chiefs all of the time now unless they patch up the Linebackers. Not sure how big of a deal that is, though, because not many people have the Niners personnel.

Mahomes is going to get the biggest contract in NFL history. I'd imagine that Hitchens is gone so almost anyone they bring in should be addition by subtraction. Chiefs might have to do something like choose between Sammy Watkins and Chris Jones so someone from the draft will need to step up and fill in a slot for the Chiefs to stay on the same level.

Mahomes might get better, though.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many fans and media assume getting back to a SB and winning multiple titles when they watch a great player or team. Win or lose, it's extremely difficult. The Patriots is the sports anomoly of all of the modern era, imo. What they have done is likely impossible to ever duplicate. When you look at some of the teams of the past, you really get an idea of how hard it is. The only other team on that list to get back the following year is the 2014 Seahawks and that took Mike McCarthy going full turtle mode and a shitload of fluke plays for them to get out of the NFCCG. I love my Hawks but I freely admit they had no business being in that SB vs the Pats.
I see a lot of people already pencilling in Mahomes and the Chiefs for more runs but I'm very skepticle until I see it. The 85 Bears were the most dominant defense in the history of the league and steamrolled everybody including back to back shutouts vs the Giants and Rams and yet, never saw another SB despite the defense arguably being better in 86. This list shows how hard it is to even get another one. The teams that did mostly had changeover. It's modern sports.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of people already pencilling in Mahomes and the Chiefs for more runs but I'm very skepticle until I see it.
I think more runs is very plausible. Just because your team is in the mix, though, doesn't mean that the Chiefs won't turn into the Packers or Saints and just flame out every year.

If the Chargers don't strike gold on a QB and Lock doesn't take the next step then the Chiefs will win the AFC West next year. Thats a wait and see.

Certainly the Texans or Ravens could improve, too. I'm also not ruling out the Patriots having one last run or Josh Allen improving.

Lots of parity in the NFL even if it doesn't look like it. The Niners are proof of that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many fans and media assume getting back to a SB and winning multiple titles when they watch a great player or team. Win or lose, it's extremely difficult. The Patriots is the sports anomoly of all of the modern era, imo. What they have done is likely impossible to ever duplicate. When you look at some of the teams of the past, you really get an idea of how hard it is. The only other team on that list to get back the following year is the 2014 Seahawks and that took Mike McCarthy going full turtle mode and a shitload of fluke plays for them to get out of the NFCCG. I love my Hawks but I freely admit they had no business being in that SB vs the Pats.
I see a lot of people already pencilling in Mahomes and the Chiefs for more runs but I'm very skepticle until I see it. The 85 Bears were the most dominant defense in the history of the league and steamrolled everybody including back to back shutouts vs the Giants and Rams and yet, never saw another SB despite the defense arguably being better in 86. This list shows how hard it is to even get another one. The teams that did mostly had changeover. It's modern sports.

Pats are definitely an outlier.

The reason why the Chiefs may look more likely then previous teams is that there definitely seems to be a changing of the guard in the AFC. The easy formula tho unless you are the Pats is to win it with a QB on a rookie contract because it just gets hard to build a team once you pay the QB

Even looking back at years Rodgers won his SB and Wilson won his. Both teams seemed young and set up but for different reason neither has won a 2nd one.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ingram was hurt in the playoffs and they really needed him as one of the running threats. (And the Ravens were woefully unprepared as well)

They aren't going anywhere.

Harbaughs are overrated, the only way one of them won a Super Bowl was beating each other. He had a great defense for years in Baltimore and could only win one Super Bowl against his brother and only won more than one playoff game in a season once. Never ever competed in the AFC Championship game other than one season.