• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL SUN 11/12 1:00 PM EST Texans @ Cincy

Who da freak dey?

• tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texans by a little

• Texans by 7 or more

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I guess I am going to have to inquire more here. What makes Burrow bad at QB sneaks? The fact the other night that the defensive lineman came over the top, grabbed his crotch and picked him up and threw him down by his vanilla hammer?
I have no stats here, but I can think of multiple times when Burrow has used the sneak with less than a yard to go and has not converted. Both regular season games against KC (21 and 22) had instances where Burrow was not effective with the sneak and we had to move in a different direction (which also failed).

In general, I find that some guys are better at it than others. Tom Brady was probably one of the least athletic players to play the position during his era and he was exceptionally good. Andy Dalton is weirdly good at sneaking. Burrow doesn't seem particularly adept at it and I worry about the potential for injury. He messed up his knee pretty good in that KC game with a sneak. I'd be more okay with it on 4th down, but I find it pointless on 2nd down.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no stats here, but I can think of multiple times when Burrow has used the sneak with less than a yard to go and has not converted. Both regular season games against KC (21 and 22) had instances where Burrow was not effective with the sneak and we had to move in a different direction (which also failed).

In general, I find that some guys are better at it than others. Tom Brady was probably one of the least athletic players to play the position during his era and he was exceptionally good. Andy Dalton is weirdly good at sneaking. Burrow doesn't seem particularly adept at it and I worry about the potential for injury. He messed up his knee pretty good in that KC game with a sneak. I'd be more okay with it on 4th down, but I find it pointless on 2nd down.
Again - I don't know how many designed calls are QB sneaks...I'm willing to bet that these are audible calls....I mean...how many times have the Bengals ran a QB sneak on 2nd down? It can't be often.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we don't sneak with burrow often because he has bird legs. he's not built like the guys from cle or phi.

maybe we'll have a wildcat form with Hudson taking a snap, but against most opponents we spread fear when we line up at the 2 yd line with a spread of receivers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the success of the QB sneak has less to do with the QB and more to do with the OL.

Watch Kelce in Phi...there isn't a C in the NFL game that replicates what he can do. He's snapping the ball and still getting lower than every defender on that line. Once that happens, the rest is easy as it creates a cascade effect for the QB to just go over top. Teams that are good at QB sneaking are teams with solid OL at LG/C/RG at least in terms of the ability to get lower than the defense on that play.

Want to get better at QB sneaking, get your interior line to learn how to "eat grass" on the snap...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the success of the QB sneak has less to do with the QB and more to do with the OL.

Watch Kelce in Phi...there isn't a C in the NFL game that replicates what he can do. He's snapping the ball and still getting lower than every defender on that line. Once that happens, the rest is easy as it creates a cascade effect for the QB to just go over top. Teams that are good at QB sneaking are teams with solid OL at LG/C/RG at least in terms of the ability to get lower than the defense on that play.

Want to get better at QB sneaking, get your interior line to learn how to "eat grass" on the snap...
Sure, the line matters. But so does the QB. Look at Brady across his career. Or look at other guys on this list that have played with multiple players on the line or multiple coaches for the line. Some QBs are better than others at the play. I don't think Burrow is particularly good at it. I do think Burrow is good at running the QB draw out of shotgun when the other team is looking for pass, but this is because it plays to his ability to quickly process D and react.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, the line matters. But so does the QB. Look at Brady across his career. Or look at other guys on this list that have played with multiple players on the line or multiple coaches for the line. Some QBs are better than others at the play. I don't think Burrow is particularly good at it. I do think Burrow is good at running the QB draw out of shotgun when the other team is looking for pass, but this is because it plays to his ability to quickly process D and react.

OK - so...where is Burrow in terms of success rate? Honest question, because I have no idea. If you say he stinks...how does he compare to the current crop of QBs? He's no Hurst, for sure...but if he's as bad as you say, what do the numbers say?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should be Hurts...LOL

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - so...where is Burrow in terms of success rate? Honest question, because I have no idea. If you say he stinks...how does he compare to the current crop of QBs? He's no Hurst, for sure...but if he's as bad as you say, what do the numbers say?
I think PFF has the numbers but I can't access them. The league average is somewhere in the 80s.... I would find it hard to believe that Burrow is anything but below average on his attempts.

BTW - Even though Mahomes was good at the sneak, Andy Reid stopped calling it after Mahomes dislocated his knee.

BTW part 2 - I always thought it was curious that Big Ben rarely ran QB sneaks. You would figure he would be good at it, but he did not like it and did not run it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think PFF has the numbers but I can't access them. The league average is somewhere in the 80s.... I would find it hard to believe that Burrow is anything but below average on his attempts.

BTW - Even though Mahomes was good at the sneak, Andy Reid stopped calling it after Mahomes dislocated his knee.

BTW part 2 - I always thought it was curious that Big Ben rarely ran QB sneaks. You would figure he would be good at it, but he did not like it and did not run it.
Big Ben was smart enough to realize it would result in an injury eventually. He did go to college near here. :/

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is getting a little more scary with Tee and Chase both potentially missing.... I don't think Tee being out would be a huge deal as he is a nice asset when playing well, but the offense isn't exactly designed around him. On the other hand, a lot of the offense this season has been designed around Chase moving around and lining up in unpredictable spots on the field. This has worked for getting him targets but has also spread the field and he's been an effective decoy. Without him out there, are we going back to that vanilla, shot-gun, no motion look? With slow receivers that can't stretch the field?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is getting a little more scary with Tee and Chase both potentially missing.... I don't think Tee being out would be a huge deal as he is a nice asset when playing well, but the offense isn't exactly designed around him. On the other hand, a lot of the offense this season has been designed around Chase moving around and lining up in unpredictable spots on the field. This has worked for getting him targets but has also spread the field and he's been an effective decoy. Without him out there, are we going back to that vanilla, shot-gun, no motion look? With slow receivers that can't stretch the field?
Chase makes it seem like he'll be good to go. Just a bruise, so it's only a matter of pain tolerance...which, we all know can be helped with some Varsity Blues style treatment (and if anyone doesn't get that reference, then shame on you. That movie is a...a...10! a 10! a Mutherfuckin 10! and well, if you don't get that quote, then I guess I just digress)....

Higgins hammy seems more serious. Usually when it's minor players will talk. He referred everyone to Taylor. Just a crap season for a guy on a contract year. I feel for him, and I know it's not going to impact his F/A value at all..which makes it even suckier because I'd rather get production out of him this year and lose him than not get production out of him and lose him....lol

Hopefully Jones is showing he's ready to go...but missing 5-6 weeks is a lot....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I suspect with the improved development of other receivers and tight ends, we won't have to just match up chase in the middle of the field as much. just get chase and higgins to the ravens game healthy like.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Daryl Stingley Jr is coming off IR tomorrow.

As good as the young nucleus of talent is in Houston, it's scary to think where theyd be if they went with Sauce Gardner over Stingley. Definitely a strange pick as Sauce felt like a slam dunk generational talent at corner. Stingley can be great too but he's had recurring hamstring issues since college

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why zac taylor challenging that catch. you can see he got 2 feet down, I guess he can't see the jumbo tron?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully he shits the bed in the 2nd half today but if CJ Stroud keeps playing at this level and the Texans make the playoffs he deserves serious MVP consideration

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ruling on the field is under review.

yea, he stepped out of bounds.
yea, they are going to ignore it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he shits the bed in the 2nd half today but if CJ Stroud keeps playing at this level and the Texans make the playoffs he deserves serious MVP consideration
he plays well. of course, we're making him look great

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud is all pro. He is doing whatever he wants. We continue to throw 1 yard passes and when we don't we drop it. We are f'd. Big let down game. Texans are legit in last 6 weeks.