• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sumlin out @ A&M?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer them to go star hunting. I would much rather see Jimbo at A&M, instead of someone like Patterson or Gundy

They're going to have to get an up and coming assistant and hope he works out. There isn't a coach on Jimbo's level that's going to choose A&M over any other major program or blue blood.

They simply don't have the pedigree. Especially given the jobs available this year. They aren't going to get Patterson either.......I'm not sure Gundy wants to leave his alma mater.

They should have gone after Mullen from the get go. Made a pitch to Patterson. Instead they go after a guy they really don't have a shot at for no discernable reason.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Aggy best bet, is to try and get Les Miles for the next 3 to 4 years. The last year get a HC in waiting and try to keep the ship rolling. They have no shot at Jimbo, or any of the other big names being thrown around.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:puzzled: I'm sure the 2 hour, $250 flight from Tallahassee to College Station is really gonna break a $7 million dollar man like Jimbo...

I understand wanting to be around your kids, even as teenagers, and I understand his youngest is ill with a rare serious disease. But maybe there is more to it than $$$. Didn't his wife bang some players and/or other faculty/coaches or something like that? If so, that would be an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation at work..

And for the record, I like Jimbo. He's a good coach, great recruiter, and good personality. His loss would be the rest of the ACCs gain however.

It was her physical fitness instructor. He was a former Gate player.
Everybody was thrilled about that.

Half the folks called her a whore and moved on. The other half commented that it he
had worried a little less about who was sleeping in Jameis Winston's bed and concentrated
on who was sleeping in his bed...he'd still be married.

He's a great recruiter. One of the Best. Just leave it at that.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Aggy best bet, is to try and get Les Miles for the next 3 to 4 years. The last year get a HC in waiting and try to keep the ship rolling. They have no shot at Jimbo, or any of the other big names being thrown around.

That's actually not a bad idea. Assuming Les still wants to coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Led is done. Personally, I would rather take a shot on someone like Norvell. If I was looking for a coach, guys like Fuentes and Campbell would near the top of the list. You want to take a guy that can be a homerun and coaxh for 10-20 years. The recycling in sports drives me nuts

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure you guys are going to be right about no big name coach choosing A&M. They are a wealthy school, they have some of the best facilities in the nation right now, and they are in a great recruiting state. That is appealing for a coach. If anything over the years, they have shot themselves in the foot hiring coaches who "get" their school and culture. That use to be just as important as pedigree until recently. They are desperate for a winner and I think they will spend what it takes or at least attempt to. No guarantees obviously.

Look at the money they've spent on Sumlin and his staff. I could go into great detail about the changes at the school in the short time I've lived and worked around this area, but I doubt anybody cares and the aggy fans on here I'm sure already know.

It's a different place. They still cater to their old farts for fundraisers and things, but the gameday experience and football program is modern. Something I never thought I would see from them. They've set things up to attract athletes and make them feel at home. The old farts hate it but know it's part of a winning program these days. Robert Earl Keen isn't blasting through the speakers at Kyle Field these days.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure you guys are going to be right about no big name coach choosing A&M. They are a wealthy school, they have some of the best facilities in the nation right now, and they are in a great recruiting state. That is appealing for a coach. If anything over the years, they have shot themselves in the foot hiring coaches who "get" their school and culture. That use to be just as important as pedigree until recently. They are desperate for a winner and I think they will spend what it takes or at least attempt to. No guarantees obviously.

Look at the money they've spent on Sumlin and his staff. I could go into great detail about the changes at the school in the short time I've lived and worked around this area, but I doubt anybody cares and the aggy fans on here I'm sure already know.

It's a different place. They still cater to their old farts for fundraisers and things, but the gameday experience and football program is modern. Something I never thought I would see from them. They've set things up to attract athletes and make them feel at home. The old farts hate it but know it's part of a winning program these days. Robert Earl Keen isn't blasting through the speakers at Kyle Field these days.

AHHH, but that's the problem.

They don't win, and never really have. If you're a big name coach......are you choosing the school desperate for a winner, in a tough division, or schools that already have a legacy name, that will make you a legend if you win there?

A big name coach is going to be able to recruit anywhere. A big name coach is going to get paid, and go to a school with facilities.

What Aggy can't offer is what a big name coach wants - STATUS

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word is that the BMAs are going to pay “Saban” money for a big name.

I hear “old army” constantly bitch and moan about how much it’s changed over the last 10 years. It’s definately changed a lot. I haven’t had an opportunity to go since they built the new stadium. Been crazy busy the last few years. I have family down there that work for the university and go to every home game. They say it’s really nice especially in the suites. Lots of rich assholes pouring money into that place.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AHHH, but that's the problem.

They don't win, and never really have. If you're a big name coach......are you choosing the school desperate for a winner, in a tough division, or schools that already have a legacy name, that will make you a legend if you win there?

A big name coach is going to be able to recruit anywhere. A big name coach is going to get paid, and go to a school with facilities.

What Aggy can't offer is what a big name coach wants - STATUS

I think you are way overstating most of these coaches desires. They want to get freaking paid. I don't see any "dream jobs" lining up this year. Is there a Herman out there who is an alum of a program with an opening? Is there a bunch of blue bloods with openings this year?

It will be a bunch of mercenaries out there getting fat stacks from desperate programs wanting to win big.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that the BMAs are going to pay “Saban” money for a big name.

I hear “old army” constantly bitch and moan about how much it’s changed over the last 10 years. It’s definately changed a lot. I haven’t had an opportunity to go since they built the new stadium. Been crazy busy the last few years. I have family down there that work for the university and go to every home game. They say it’s really nice especially in the suites. Lots of rich assholes pouring money into that place.

Those damn suites are a joke. They are nice as fuck, but the greedy as athletic department tries to force them to pay for an attendant most of them don't want and in the case of the founders suites, a 20 million donation doesn't even get you a free hot dog. All the food consumed gets a bill. I was kind of shocked how that all works. Friend of mine had a founders suite there until the oil business made them give it up this year.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are way overstating most of these coaches desires. They want to get freaking paid. I don't see any "dream jobs" lining up this year. Is there a Herman out there who is an alum of a program with an opening? Is there a bunch of blue bloods with openings this year?

It will be a bunch of mercenaries out there getting fat stacks from desperate programs wanting to win big.

Mercenaries, yes.......but winning at Nebraska trumps aggy......winning at Florida trumps aggy......winning at Tennessee trumps aggy.......

I think you underestimate what coaches at the deep end of the pool want. Their motivation isn't money, because they'll get that no matter WHERE they go.

They want their names etched on the mount rushmore of college football.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mercenaries, yes.......but winning at Nebraska trumps aggy......winning at Florida trumps aggy......winning at Tennessee trumps aggy.......

I think you underestimate what coaches at the deep end of the pool want. Their motivation isn't money, because they'll get that no matter WHERE they go.

They want their names etched on the mount rushmore of college football.

Nebraska = Scott Frost if he wants it.
Florida is probably the best opening and best overall situation to walk into as far as recent success goes.
A&M, UCLA, and Tennessee are all probably equal but A&M has the best facilities right now and is in the better recruiting situation with a roster closer to competing soon. Nobody in Texas has momentum that cannot be swung at the moment. Sumlin could recruit if anything else. LSU is also vulnerable to losing recruits.

I know UT and aggy are oil and water with lots of breakup bad blood but look at the situation objectively.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska = Scott Frost if he wants it.
Florida is probably the best opening and best overall situation to walk into as far as recent success goes.
A&M, UCLA, and Tennessee are all probably equal but A&M has the best facilities right now and is in the better recruiting situation with a roster closer to competing soon. Nobody in Texas has momentum that cannot be swung at the moment. Sumlin could recruit if anything else. LSU is also vulnerable to losing recruits.

I know UT and aggy are oil and water with lots of breakup bad blood but look at the situation objectively.

I am.

If you are a HC with a name reputation, maybe even a NC in your back pocket......A&M is the last school outside of UCLA that you choose, for obvious reasons.

Recruiting won't matter. Neither will facilities. These coaches want their names in lights......they want a legacy. High end coaches aren't leaving top programs for aggy.

They'll get a decent coach......a former coordinator. But they aren't luring a high end coach simply for things those coaches can get ANYWHERE they go.

I don't think you're seeing the entire picture here.

In short......aggy is not a destination school, it's a stepping stone. And they'll get coaches looking to use them as such.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am.

If you are a HC with a name reputation, maybe even a NC in your back pocket......A&M is the last school outside of UCLA that you choose, for obvious reasons.

Recruiting won't matter. Neither will facilities. These coaches want their names in lights......they want a legacy. High end coaches aren't leaving top programs for aggy.

They'll get a decent coach......a former coordinator. But they aren't luring a high end coach simply for things those coaches can get ANYWHERE they go.

I don't think you're seeing the entire picture here.

In short......aggy is not a destination school, it's a stepping stone. And they'll get coaches looking to use them as such.
The same arguments could be made for WHY a big name cosch would want to go there. If they want a legacy then they make a school like A&M into a destination school. And they have the money, facilities, conference and resources for someone to step in and do just that.

You could be the guy that took over from a legend (Bobby Bowden) or you become that legend

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Bama the SEC is one big dumpster fire.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same arguments could be made for WHY a big name cosch would want to go there. If they want a legacy then they make a school like A&M into a destination school. And they have the money, facilities, conference and resources for someone to step in and do just that.

You could be the guy that took over from a legend (Bobby Bowden) or you become that legend
Fair enough, but realistically, virtually nobody does that.

Be the man that puts northwestern on the map or be the next legend at notre dame? I think we all know what most guys will do.

And you're right, everything is there for A&M to be successful....... But I honestly think your traditions hold you back in a lot of ways. It's going to take a special coach to want to build a legacy in College Station........ Which is probably why they're always looking for someone that fits that unique culture.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
51-25.....
46GbX.gif

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but realistically, virtually nobody does that.

Be the man that puts northwestern on the map or be the next legend at notre dame? I think we all know what most guys will do.

And you're right, everything is there for A&M to be successful....... But I honestly think your traditions hold you back in a lot of ways. It's going to take a special coach to want to build a legacy in College Station........ Which is probably why they're always looking for someone that fits that unique culture.

The problem is Bama, Auburn, and LSU. Teams don't just ascend without a little luck. Ask Saban. Winning championships at MSU is hard when OSU and Michigan are running at historical norms. It is easier at MAU, when Bama is a dumpster fire.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas ATM can get who ever they want. Hookem nailed it in the above post. The problem for Texas ATM has, and always will be that it's in College Station, Tx. Now for you and me who go to school to actually get an education, no big deal. We can see the school has great academics, but for the intercity kid who only cares about playing football and partying, they don't care much for that kind of town. That's why Sumlin was a good choice. He was able to go into the intercity and get those good recruits. The next guy might not be able to do that.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t leave Kevin, we’ll miss you!