• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sumlin out @ A&M?

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll still support the team. I supported them during the Fran Plan. My fellow Aggies would disagree with me here - they should not have fired Sherman in the first place.

I have a strange feeling that we will hire Morris anyway thanks to the bone head regents and the good OL boy network
To me it's more baggage and money for what we already have. I think Jimbo isn't any better than Sumlin. Both looked good with a Heisman winning QB and players someone else recruited and not much since they left. And the Jamis off the field stuff was worse than Johnny's and Jimbo had even less control of the situation than Sumlin did. The way he forced FSU to dump Bowden (not that I have any good feelings toward Bowden) was a scumbag move. I just see a wormy, slimey, POS and want no part of supporting him in any way shape or fashion.

Personally, if Jimbo Fisher was on fire in front of me and I had a glass of water, I would slowly drink it.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it's more baggage and money for what we already have. I think Jimbo isn't any better than Sumlin. Both looked good with a Heisman winning QB and players someone else recruited and not much since they left. And the Jamis off the field stuff was worse than Johnny's and Jimbo had even less control of the situation than Sumlin did. The way he forced FSU to dump Bowden (not that I have any good feelings toward Bowden) was a scumbag move. I just see a wormy, slimey, POS and want no part of supporting him in any way shape or fashion.

Personally, if Jimbo Fisher was on fire in front of me and I had a glass of water, I would slowly drink it.
I’d prefer that they keep Sumlin. I honestly think he finally has the right players and coaches...not a fan of Mazzone but Starkel seems to run his offense well enough to win.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban > Jimbo

Why is everyone acting like he's a terrible coach or a bad fit for Texas fucking A&M

I am not a huge fan. The OL issues have been going on for a long time. He rolled up some really talented teams, while the rest of the ACC had their heads up their ass. All of a sudden the ACC has righted the ship and FSU is 2 games under .500. That should never happen in year 8 of your tenure at a blue blood. It brings up serious questions.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d prefer that they keep Sumlin. I honestly think he finally has the right players and coaches...not a fan of Mazzone but Starkel seems to run his offense well enough to win.
I agree to an extent. While I am not happy with Sumlin and think he is what his record says he is, I just don't know who would be better. It's not like the next Saban, Meyer, or Dabo is just waiting for A&M to offer them the job. Who do you get that is going to be an upgrade? Cutcliff from Duke? Dave Doeren from NC Sate? Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern? I would prefer Doeren or Fitzgerald.

Mazzone has to go. His play calls are terrible. Why did he try to make the true freshman QB (that can't throw) throw the ball (to WRs that couldn't catch) in the second half vs. UCLA? Why does he still run the zone read with Starkle (who doesn't run)? Why can't we have a formation with the QB under center for short yardage?

Ya know.......there is a certain head coach in Lubbock that makes an excellent OC that might be looking for a job in the near future.:idea:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a side note. I would be pretty annoyed at any public institution paying the rumored 10 year 75mm to a coach. That is insane.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll still support the team. I supported them during the Fran Plan. My fellow Aggies would disagree with me here - they should not have fired Sherman in the first place.

I have a strange feeling that we will hire Morris anyway thanks to the bone head regents and the good ‘ol boy network

This is the statement I agree with. "they should not have fired Sherman in the first place." I know a lot of Aggies disagree including my wife. He was kicking Mack Brown's butt in recruiting and had NFL connections. Perfect for a hs player that has NFL stars in his eyes. I'll never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the statement I agree with. "they should not have fired Sherman in the first place." I know a lot of Aggies disagree including my wife. He was kicking Mack Brown's butt in recruiting and had NFL connections. Perfect for a hs player that has NFL stars in his eyes. I'll never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance.

That team was ranked pretty high by the computers. They were very young and found ways to lose close games. I am not sure that if he was retained they would not have won 10 or so games.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a side note. I would be pretty annoyed at any public institution paying the rumored 10 year 75mm to a coach. That is insane.

The Universities pay very little. The vast majority of the money is from boosters, radio and TV shows and endorsement deals.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Universities pay very little. The vast majority of the money is from boosters, radio and TV shows and endorsement deals.

It is all intertwined. A&M athletic department is only years removed from taking out a big loan to cover their expenses. 10 year contract is beyond stupid in any sport

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent. While I am not happy with Sumlin and think he is what his record says he is, I just don't know who would be better. It's not like the next Saban, Meyer, or Dabo is just waiting for A&M to offer them the job. Who do you get that is going to be an upgrade? Cutcliff from Duke? Dave Doeren from NC Sate? Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern? I would prefer Doeren or Fitzgerald.

Mazzone has to go. His play calls are terrible. Why did he try to make the true freshman QB (that can't throw) throw the ball (to WRs that couldn't catch) in the second half vs. UCLA? Why does he still run the zone read with Starkle (who doesn't run)? Why can't we have a formation with the QB under center for short yardage?

Ya know.......there is a certain head coach in Lubbock that makes an excellent OC that might be looking for a job in the near future.:idea:
I was really underwhelmed with the Mazzone hire.
Rule #1 don’t hire your friends
Play calling is garbage and predictable. Run up the middle EVERY first down. I’m so sick of seeing them pass the ball 5 yards behind the los and rarely using the middle of the field. Not to mention the poor TE’s. When the actually throw to a TE (like twice a year) the seem shocked that the ball is coming and drop it. Spavital sucked and we fired him for this?

I like what is going on with the defense. It may be Chavis third year but it’s technically year 1 with his players. The defensive backfield is going to be really good. For a bunch of freshmen they are getting pretty salty. I hope the new guy keeps Chavis.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any coach who gets paid more than Nick Saban is a joke. Until they've given Saban results. He is the standard all coaches salaries should be judged by. 5 million a year should be tops for a coach who hasn't won a natty for your school.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team was ranked pretty high by the computers. They were very young and found ways to lose close games. I am not sure that if he was retained they would not have won 10 or so games.
Sherman didn’t get on board with the whole SEC hype. Big Money Ags wanted the new “flavor of the year” lots of schools were going to go after Sumlin. The rich Houston Ags has a contract in front of him before Sherman had a chance to leave the recruits driveway when they fired him via cell phone. Really shitty how all of that went down. Sometimes A&M really does stand for Assholes and Millionares.

I really liked Sherman. What Fran left was pure garbage. Sherman did a lot to fix the “rock star” culture in the locker room. He built a really good team. Sherman would have done well in 2012...don’t think JFF would be the QB under Sherm

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really underwhelmed with the Mazzone hire.
Rule #1 don’t hire your friends
Play calling is garbage and predictable. Run up the middle EVERY first down. I’m so sick of seeing them pass the ball 5 yards behind the los and rarely using the middle of the field. Not to mention the poor TE’s. When the actually throw to a TE (like twice a year) the seem shocked that the ball is coming and drop it. Spavital sucked and we fired him for this?

I like what is going on with the defense. It may be Chavis third year but it’s technically year 1 with his players. The defensive backfield is going to be really good. For a bunch of freshmen they are getting pretty salty. I hope the new guy keeps Chavis.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion QB recruiting and development is much more important than play calling. Greg Davis won assistant coach of the year and competed for it regularly with VY and Colt. Looked like shit after that and at Iowa.

Spavital looks pretty good at West Virginia with Grier.

I bet Mazzone looks pretty good with the right QB too. Your guys are just young and inexperienced while playing in a very good defensive league.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've pretty much come to the conclusion QB recruiting and development is much more important than play calling. Greg Davis won assistant coach of the year and competed for it regularly with VY and Colt. Looked like shit after that and at Iowa.

I bet Mazzone looks pretty good with the right QB too. Your guys are just young and inexperienced while playing in a very good defensive league.
I think it is about the OL. If your OL sucks, it's hard to develop a QB. Look at Texas, FSU, and Florida. Bluebloods struggling to meet expectations recently. The one thing they all have in common is shitty OL play

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well word from FSU mods is that Fisher isn't going to Aggy if he leaves at all.

They are going to pony up the cash for new facilities.......hearing the most likely place for him to jump ship to would be Auburn IF Malzahn goes to Arky.

So it appears Jimbo used aggy desperation to get some new facilities, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT

They might be better off keeping Sumlin. The Aggy job is simply not that attractive to any major P5 coaches, there are better programs they can go to.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s a night and day difference between Starkel and Mond. I bet if Starkel wasn’t hurt they would have beaten UCLA and maybe 1 or 2 others. Good chance we could have been going into Baton Rouge with 9 or 10 wins plus a ranking. Which is why I don’t buy the reasoning for firing Sumlin right now. Mond wasn’t ready to compete at this level but they watered down the offense to give him a shot and won games regardless.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well word from FSU mods is that Fisher isn't going to Aggy if he leaves at all.

They are going to pony up the cash for new facilities.......hearing the most likely place for him to jump ship to would be Auburn IF Malzahn goes to Arky.

So it appears Jimbo used aggy desperation to get some new facilities, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT

They might be better off keeping Sumlin. The Aggy job is simply not that attractive to any major P5 coaches, there are better programs they can go to.

I prefer them to go star hunting. I would much rather see Jimbo at A&M, instead of someone like Patterson or Gundy