• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephon Marbury finally quits basketball, says he is HOF bound.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually has a strong argument since it's a Basketball HOF and not an NBA one. His international record is amazing and he's a legend in China. He's one of the guys that's helped propel the sport over there. It's not a crazy idea for him to be considered.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could happen.

Dude is Jordanesque in stature in China.

Like @CitySushi said....

Basketball HOF, not just the NBA.

If Yao got in, Marbury could too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as mentioned above. He actually does have a very real shot. The basketball hall of fame is a tad different than others.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually has a strong argument since it's a Basketball HOF and not an NBA one. His international record is amazing and he's a legend in China. He's one of the guys that's helped propel the sport over there. It's not a crazy idea for him to be considered.
yeah, i never claimed he wouldnt get in...just said he says so.

hes had a great career in 2 leagues and 2 countries.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, i never claimed he wouldnt get in...just said he says so.

hes had a great career in 2 leagues and 2 countries.

Perhaps even bigger that, I think it is what he's done for the game over there. Mainstreaming the sport on an entirely different continent is huge. Which is also along the lines of what I think the basketball HOF is willing to take into account. As opposed to football/baseball... Where it's just hard numbers and league accomplishments.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps even bigger that, I think it is what he's done for the game over there. Mainstreaming the sport on an entirely different continent is huge. Which is also along the lines of what I think the basketball HOF is willing to take into account. As opposed to football/baseball... Where it's just hard numbers and league accomplishments.
which begs...does jimmer fredette make it to the HOF? look at what hes become over there. a freakin god.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which begs...does jimmer fredette make it to the HOF? look at what hes become over there. a freakin god.

Think it'll be tougher for NBA guys who flame out and then have great careers overseas. Marbury was a multiple time all-star in the NBA before hand. Easier to make that argument than a guy who couldn't cut it in the NBA and then having monster numbers overseas.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you can completely fail over here, then go overseas to dominate and vault yourself into HOF consideration.

If that was the case, every guy who dominates the Korean, Chinese, Spanish... etc... leagues would get a nominee.

Maybe Jimmer has a little stronger case than many of those guys, due to his dominant college days. However, I don't see it.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Lin should be in the HOF for his one above average week in a Knicks uniform.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness though, I was a fan of Marbury. His sneakers are underrated. $15 Starburys baby!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness though, I was a fan of Marbury. His sneakers are underrated. $15 Starburys baby!
i ws excited to see him in green. then i saw him in green.

he was nba toast.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Marbury's last few underwhelming years he had a career average of 19.3 Pts, 7.6 APG. He was a monster player for a span of about 5-7 years. 2 All-NBA teams with 2 All Star Appearances is a legit NBA resume.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Marbury's last few underwhelming years he had a career average of 19.3 Pts, 7.6 APG. He was a monster player for a span of about 5-7 years. 2 All-NBA teams with 2 All Star Appearances is a legit NBA resume.

It is a legit NBA resume, not near HOF worthy though.

The issue I have with Marbury's accomplishments in China is that the league over there isn't really that good. They have a lot of money and can afford to lure a few big names, but the fact of the matter is that the G league and at least half a dozen European leagues are stronger in terms of competition. Marbury was good enough to play in many other superior leagues, but he chose to be a god in China. That is fine and all, but he shouldn't be rewarded as a HOF player because chose to play in the equivalent of a JV pro league.

Yao is like the Babe Ruth of basketball in China. He deserves every accolade he gets. Marbury does not, IMO.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts exactly. He should make it IMO

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make a strong argument that he singlehandedly was responsible for the meteoric rise of Chinese Basketball.

Contribution to the sport itself is a pathway to get into the HOF.

That alone would get consideration for the HOF even if he sucked in the NBA.

But, he wasnt a scrub in the league. He was at an "all-star type level" for several years.

Heck, Laettner is in the HOF for literally riding the pines as the designated college player on the Dream team for 2 total weeks one summer in 1992.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a legit NBA resume, not near HOF worthy though.

The issue I have with Marbury's accomplishments in China is that the league over there isn't really that good. They have a lot of money and can afford to lure a few big names, but the fact of the matter is that the G league and at least half a dozen European leagues are stronger in terms of competition. Marbury was good enough to play in many other superior leagues, but he chose to be a god in China. That is fine and all, but he shouldn't be rewarded as a HOF player because chose to play in the equivalent of a JV pro league.

Yao is like the Babe Ruth of basketball in China. He deserves every accolade he gets. Marbury does not, IMO.
It's not about his numbers against subpar, inferior talent in the Chinese League.

It's about his impact on the game.

He had good NBA numbers. But, more than that, he was a global ambassador for the Sport.

Yao had career numbers of 19 and 9.

Starbury had career numbers of 19 and 8.

In a time of infinite greed, he made a decent looking sneaker that the poorest kids could afford and even gave them away for free to the ones who still didn't have enough.

Not gonna lie, I still have my pair of pink and orange ones.

He also has a statue, a fricking play about his life and a GAWD DAMN MUSEUM in China.

That buckshot alone is HOF worthy...lol

If that's not having a positive global impact, I'm not sure what else he could have done outside of winning a Gold instead of bronze in the Olympics.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about his numbers against subpar, inferior talent in the Chinese League.

It's about his impact on the game.

He had good NBA numbers. But, more than that, he was a global ambassador for the Sport.

Yao had career numbers of 19 and 9.

Starbury had career numbers of 19 and 8.

In a time of infinite greed, he made a decent looking sneaker that the poorest kids could afford and even gave them away for free to the ones who still didn't have enough.

Not gonna lie, I still have my pair of pink and orange ones.

He also has a statue, a fricking play about his life and a GAWD DAMN MUSEUM in China.

That buckshot alone is HOF worthy...lol

If that's not having a positive global impact, I'm not sure what else he could have done outside of winning a Gold instead of bronze in the Olympics.

Spot on.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about what happened with him but Why didn't he stay in the NBA? He was too good to be wasting his time in China. Sad

Hell even today he's probably still better than most players they got in the NBA. The NBA has some complete DUDs in there right now.