• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS 2014 DRAFT PICS

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I guess I was weighing too heavily on face value. But it could have gone either way with the draft. I'm happy as well, and hopeful! The more I read about it the more comfortable I feel. If the secondary flops again then I could see CB right back at the top of the list with needs. Especially since Allen & Taylor are in their final contract year and Gay only has 1 year left in '15. They might be looking at FA next offseason regardless of how they play in '14.

I've been reading that after the draft LeBeau was like a little boy on christmas morning after he opened up his presents. Back to the lab to draw up some new packages!

The back end (corners)...this is just my opinion...Starters - Allen/Gay...Nickel - Ike...Dime - Shamarko Thomas. McCain, Blake, Green, et al are filling out the ranks on ST/ injury reserves. I can't see them continuing to put Ike on the #1 WR anymore.

I think Allen will be re-signed imo ahead of Pouncey...I do agree they will need to revisit the position next year regardless of what Shaq does...how high they go will largely depend on whose available, etc.

LeBeau...lol, I can imagine, has more speed to work with...I'm curious to see how Shazier fits and whether Spence will be fit to play.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think they start Gay over Ike ATL? Even if it's the right decision based on merit I just can't see it, Tomlin loves those vets.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for grades, Kiper gave them a A- overall, third best.

I'm not sure I agree about draft being evaluated based on needs, I would say it should be evaluated based on value. Taking the 40th best player at 15 for example, who happened to be a cornerback would not be a successful pick.

The only complaint I have is that they should have taken another CB, for attrition purposes. I don't think there is any question the Steelers recognized the team was getting slow, and they took fast playmakers on both sides of the ball, that is the most interesting/positive development out of this.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure I agree about draft being evaluated based on needs, I would say it should be evaluated based on value. Taking the 40th best player at 15 for example, who happened to be a cornerback would not be a successful pick.

Well when you evaluate a draft class based on value then you are assuming that sports media writers are smarter than the front office. Player rankings you read online by espn/cbs/nfl etc are not going to be the same as what scouts think.

I agree that another CB would have been a little more ideal. Especially over Dri Archer. But in the Steelers I trust... We will have to wait and see.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike...whether it be age, skills eroding, etc. Taylor hasn't been the same since he was torched out in Den in that playoff game. He's been okay, but not the stopper that he was 3 or 4 years ago.

To your loyalty point...that's true, and it's largely the reason he's still here. But, Tomlin doesn't have much room to work with himself. 8-8 with Ben @ QB is not something he can hang his hat on for much longer.

He does prefer vets and Gay is already established to a degree also. If he plays as well as he did last year in camp I don't think he will sit in favor of Ike...that said...the main point is, whether he is the #2 or # 3 CB...he's not going to be on the #1 WR next year

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only complaint I have is that they should have taken another CB, for attrition purposes. I don't think there is any question the Steelers recognized the team was getting slow, and they took fast playmakers on both sides of the ball, that is the most interesting/positive development out of this.

Needs...you can't win consistently in the NFL if you have a significant need until that need is address. If it's a minor need you can get by sometimes if you are very strong in other areas...good example SEA last year...they were not that great @ WR, but they were very strong @ RB, DEF...enough to overcome their need @ WR.

CLE...need a QB, that need has been too difficult to overcome and until it's addressed they will continue to struggle to be a playoff caliber team.

40th best...even though I question the validity of the ranking unless I ranked them myself, but I get your point here. That kind of value is really rare and it often means dealing with a character risk player...a really good example of this is Vontaze Burfict in CIN...many teams took him off their boards entirely.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when you evaluate a draft class based on value then you are assuming that sports media writers are smarter than the front office. Player rankings you read online by espn/cbs/nfl etc are not going to be the same as what scouts think.

I agree that another CB would have been a little more ideal. Especially over Dri Archer. But in the Steelers I trust... We will have to wait and see.

I know it's fun and common to dump on the draft gurus but they are pretty good at what they do, and this is especially true with the top of the draft.

Now maybe the team knows something that the draft gurus don't, very likely scenario, but I still don't think it's unfair to judge based on the best evidence we have, which is mainly the many different draft gurus.

That being said, I liked what they did, all the picks. We'll see if the staff can't develop the guys now.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs...you can't win consistently in the NFL if you have a significant need until that need is address. If it's a minor need you can get by sometimes if you are very strong in other areas...good example SEA last year...they were not that great @ WR, but they were very strong @ RB, DEF...enough to overcome their need @ WR.

CLE...need a QB, that need has been too difficult to overcome and until it's addressed they will continue to struggle to be a playoff caliber team.

40th best...even though I question the validity of the ranking unless I ranked them myself, but I get your point here. That kind of value is really rare and it often means dealing with a character risk player...a really good example of this is Vontaze Burfict in CIN...many teams took him off their boards entirely.

It's always a balance, if the Steelers took the 40th best player on their own board at 15 to fill a need, that would be a disaster IMO. If they had that guy at 25, not as big of a deal.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike...whether it be age, skills eroding, etc. Taylor hasn't been the same since he was torched out in Den in that playoff game. He's been okay, but not the stopper that he was 3 or 4 years ago.

To your loyalty point...that's true, and it's largely the reason he's still here. But, Tomlin doesn't have much room to work with himself. 8-8 with Ben @ QB is not something he can hang his hat on for much longer.

He does prefer vets and Gay is already established to a degree also. If he plays as well as he did last year in camp I don't think he will sit in favor of Ike...that said...the main point is, whether he is the #2 or # 3 CB...he's not going to be on the #1 WR next year

Well, I'm not too thrilled with either option there, but I agree on your assessment of Ike.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's fun and common to dump on the draft gurus but they are pretty good at what they do, and this is especially true with the top of the draft.

Now maybe the team knows something that the draft gurus don't, very likely scenario, but I still don't think it's unfair to judge based on the best evidence we have, which is mainly the many different draft gurus.

That being said, I liked what they did, all the picks. We'll see if the staff can't develop the guys now.

Very true. Draft analysts (sports writers primarily) are often very accurate with player rankings. Not so much mocking lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not too thrilled with either option there, but I agree on your assessment of Ike.

No matter how well Gay plays… I still can't seem to get the haunting images of him getting burnt back in '11 or '12 out of my head lol. The emotional scarring from that time period has tainted my view on him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That makes two of us on the options, but I expect they will be pretty effective if we get the same kind of production from Gay.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how well Gay plays… I still can't seem to get the haunting images of him getting burnt back in '11 or '12 out of my head lol. The emotional scarring from that time period has tainted my view on him.

LOL...it was bad, real bad, but let's just hope he doesn't carry any baggage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always a balance, if the Steelers took the 40th best player on their own board at 15 to fill a need, that would be a disaster IMO. If they had that guy at 25, not as big of a deal.

It makes sense...and that example is exaggerated a tad to make a point I assume. The only caveat here is we don't know how that team rated the 40th best player...he could be the 25th best player on their board.

This is kind where I check out a little when it comes to rookies...the picks are made...I check back in when Sept hits and we see which of these guys makes the team and what roles they have etc...imo that's when the initial grades can be assessed.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes sense...and that example is exaggerated a tad to make a point I assume. The only caveat here is we don't know how that team rated the 40th best player...he could be the 25th best player on their board.

This is kind where I check out a little when it comes to rookies...the picks are made...I check back in when Sept hits and we see which of these guys makes the team and what roles they have etc...imo that's when the initial grades can be assessed.

Yes it exaggeration for effect, but yeah there is always the unknown with the consensus rankings vs individual team rankings vs individual scheme/fit rankings.

True you never really know until years down the road even, but when the guys actually start playing you get a look. And this year will especially be interesting with the rookies since everyone wants them to do well and play immediately.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I'm right there with you on that note.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it exaggeration for effect, but yeah there is always the unknown with the consensus rankings vs individual team rankings vs individual scheme/fit rankings.

True you never really know until years down the road even, but when the guys actually start playing you get a look. And this year will especially be interesting with the rookies since everyone wants them to do well and play immediately.

We will get our first glimpse when they put on pads in Latrobe.

I really can't wait to see 'backs on 'backers this year... The LB depth coupled with "LeBackfield" is going to be vicious. Poor Dri Archer is going to get throttled lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There you go. HOU put dent in the scheme vs talent debate, but he was such an overwhelming talent, they could not pass him up.

For a real grade, yes, gotta see them on the field...for an initial grade, how many make the team, roles if any, etc. For this class...I do expect to see the top 4 picks on the field this season, not as outright starters, but in some type of sub pkg.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fyi cbs and draftscout had shazier as 19 overall

walterfootball had him at #11
drafttek had him at 32
Sportsillustrated had him 34

some very very high on him some fringe first.......

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fyi cbs and draftscout had shazier as 19 overall

walterfootball had him at #11
drafttek had him at 32
Sportsillustrated had him 34

some very very high on him some fringe first.......

That's crazy to put someone that freakishly athletic and talented on the border of the 2nd round... They probably based that off of the fact he was an OLB, and probably thought he wouldn't be able to play the same position at the next level?