• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS 2014 DRAFT PICS

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1ST Pic

ryan shazier lb

Career Overview: Ryan Shazier, a true junior, opted to enter the NFL Draft at the conclusion of his junior season ... he finished his career ranking 15th at Ohio State with 315 total tackles ... ranks sixth all-time in school history in career solo tackles (208) and career tackles-for-loss (44.5) and was on pace to set school records in both had he stayed for his senior season ... led the team in tackles in 2012 and 2013 to join an elite list of players, including James Laurinaitis, A.J. Hawk, Chris Spielman and Pepper Johnson, to lead the team in tackles in consecutive years ... had 15 games with 10-or-more tackles ... one of eight players chosen by teammates to represent the team as game captains in 2013 ... pursuing a degree in psychology. Junior Season: Ryan was the leader of an Ohio State defense that ranked ninth nationally against the run (109.4) ... named a first-team Associated Press All-American in 2013, a Butkus Award finalist and Bednarik and Lott award semifinalist ... USA Today, ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated also named Shazier a first-team All-American in 2013 ... he tied Big Ten records with three conference defensive player of the week honors during his junior year and with five for his career ... was twice named the Lott IMPACT Trophy national player of the week ... ranked third nationally in tackles-for-loss (22.5) and he ranked second nationally in solo tackles with 101 (both totals are third-most in Ohio State history) ... he also lead the Big Ten with 143 total tackles, a figure good for 15th nationally ... had a 20-tackle performance vs. Indiana that tied school records for solo tackles (16) and tackles-for-loss (5) ... game was first 20-tackle game by a Buckeye since 2004 (A.J. Hawk vs. Wisconsin) ... season stats also featured six quarterback sacks, six "hurries," four pass break-ups and four forced fumbles. Sophomore Season: As a sophomore in 2012, Shazier ranked among the Big Ten's Top 10 in five different defensive stat categories ... an honorable mention All-America by SI.com and a first-team (media) all-Big Ten Conference honoree, Shazier led the Big Ten with 17 tackles-for-loss and finished second in the league with 115 total tackles ... he also ranked in a tie for fourth in the conference in forced fumbles (3), seventh in quarterback sacks (5.0) and eighth in passes defended (12) ... recorded six 10-plus tackle games with a season high 14 (and a personal-best 11 solos) in the win over Illinois ... no game was bigger, though, than his eight-tackle performance at Penn State which included 2.0 sacks for minus-22 yards and a 17-yard interception return for a touchdown early in the third quarter that broke a 7-7 tie and sparked the Buckeyes to victory ... he also had a huge forced fumble at the goal line - on fourth-and-inches - against Wisconsin in addition to 12 tackles (and three TFLs) in that overtime win ... recorded a career-best five pass break-ups against Indiana. Freshman Season: Ryan played in all 13 games as a true freshman and started the final three games ... he recorded 57 tackles, the most by a true freshman in the last 15 years (Andy Katzenmoyer had 86 as a true freshman in 1996) ... had 15 tackles in his first career start, vs. Penn State

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the grid, but I like the pick with everyone gone...Dennard was not that high on my list...a 4.3 LB...I like it...insurance in case JJ doesn't pan out as OLB or Worilds doesn't repeat his level.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not another overrated Ohio State player. The need was for a CB and Dennard was still available.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised they passed on Dennard but have no issue with the pick.
Could they move him Inside with Timmons due to his tackling and speed?

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised they passed on Dennard but have no issue with the pick.
Could they move him Inside with Timmons due to his tackling and speed?

I think he's definitely inside.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up the Tomlin/Colbert press conference. Colbert & Tomlin both stated that he will be an inside guy, and Tomlin specifically stated that he will see time at the mack ILB position. So whether he is starting over Williams or not has yet to be said, but one thing is for sure, he will be used someway somehow.

IMO it's a good pick. I think Shazier is definitely a BPA notch over Dennard, but my question is why didn't they just secure Mosley if they REALLY wanted an ILB? Mosley is the better ILB prospect hands down, regardless of injury concerns. I think this is a BPA move, plain and simple. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but on paper the pick is great. I really hope that they figure out a way to use him, because if Spence comes roaring back and Williams shows vast improvement, there will be no room for Shazier except for special teams… Which is a complete waste. If Shazier packs on more muscle then he will easily be the better player over Williams & Spence.

One thing is for sure… ILB just rocketed up to the top of position battles to watch in camp.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look up the Tomlin/Colbert press conference. Colbert & Tomlin both stated that he will be an inside guy, and Tomlin specifically stated that he will see time at the mack ILB position. So whether he is starting over Williams or not has yet to be said, but one thing is for sure, he will be used someway somehow.

IMO it's a good pick. I think Shazier is definitely a BPA notch over Dennard, but my question is why didn't they just secure Mosley if they REALLY wanted an ILB? Mosley is the better ILB prospect hands down, regardless of injury concerns. I think this is a BPA move, plain and simple. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but on paper the pick is great. I really hope that they figure out a way to use him, because if Spence comes roaring back and Williams shows vast improvement, there will be no room for Shazier except for special teams… Which is a complete waste. If Shazier packs on more muscle then he will easily be the better player over Williams & Spence.

One thing is for sure… ILB just rocketed up to the top of position battles to watch in camp.

Most definitely ILB after seeing his size...Mosley...watching several of their games, I had some bias against Bama defenders this year in general...I think in part the brand helped Dix and Mosley...good but not special players. Kouandjio I thought was the best prospect on that squad...just a deep position this yr kept him on the board.

4.3 capable in a LB? Expanded sub package...Williams becomes a 2 down LB...with his speed, you can blitz him or drop him in coverage. Spence...I think the reality is he's good enough to get a shot, but no one really knows what he can do at this point...I can see the CB theory with Dennard on the board, but you know how I feel about these 1st round guys...not much separation from the 2nd tier CBs to me.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, never heard the guys name till they picked him, but as was said 4.3-4.4 speed at linebacker is hard to be against. He'll have to bulk up some, but having him and Timmons in middle will be a nightmare. And the defense needed to get more athletic, this certainly fits the bill.

I'm glad they didn't take Dennard, Fuller seemed like the best fit at CB, but he went off the board at 14. Listening to Tomlin and Colbert on the radio last night, they sounded giddy to have the guy.

Seems like the Steelers could have traded down a few picks and still got him, that's the only thing I question. But they picked him immediately it was probably the fastest pick of the night, so they must have had him as BPA in that spot.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his size and speed strikingly similar to that of Carnell Lake (LB at UCLA) who is the DB coach for the Steelers, I wonder if they will entertain that thought of SS?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have the perfect spot for him which is why the pick came so fast maybe.

Williams is not a 3 down ILB, struggles in coverage...they tried Troy in that spot LY on passing downs and they were more vulnerable against the run and he was never a great cover guy anyway...a LB with his speed/size can play a TE, or RB, even some WRs...and I anticipate LeBeau using his speed on the blitz too.

I'm not thinking he needs to beef up...I think he's a sub pkg player in the short term and maybe he takes over FT, but initially I think Williams will be in on a the base.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd pic stephon tuitt DE

TUITT'S HONORS & AWARDS

• Maxwell Award Watch List

• Bednarik Award Watch List (2012,2013)

• ESPN.com First Team All-American (2012)

• Athlon Sports First Team All-American (2012)

• Sports Illustrated First Team All-American (2012)

• CBS Sports First Team All-American (2012)

• Walter Camp Second Team All-American (2012)

• Pro Football Weekly Honorable Mention All-American (2012)

• Associated Press Second Team All-American (2012)

• Sporting News Second Team All-American (2012)

• Ted Hendricks Award Watch List (2012)

TUITT'S PLACE IN THE IRISH RECORD BOOKS

• Single-Season Sacks (2012, 12.0, 2nd)

• Single-Season Fumble Return Yards (2012, 77, 2nd)

• Career Fumble Return Yards (2011-, 77, 4th)

• Career Sacks (2011-, 14.0, t-11th)

Tuitt's Career Highs

Points scored: 6, vs Navy, Sept. 1, 2012

Touchdowns: 1, vs Navy, Sept. 1, 2012

Tackles: 7, Stanford, Oct. 13, 2012 (1-6); USC, Oct. 22, 2011 (1-6); Navy, Oct. 29, 2011 (2-5)

Sacks: 2.0, BYU, Oct. 20, 2012 (2-0); vs Navy, Sept. 1, 2012 (2-0); Purdue, Sept. 8, 2012 (2-0)

Tackles for loss: 2.0, five times

Fumbles forced: 2, at Boston College, Nov. 10, 2012

Fumbles recovered: 1, vs Navy, Sept. 1, 2012

Pass breakups: 1, Miami, Oct. 6, 2012; Air Force, Oct. 8, 2011

Blocked kicks: 1, Stanford, Oct. 13, 2012

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2012): Turned in sensational sophomore campaign at defensive end, tallying 47 tackles, including 13 for loss, a team-high 12 sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one pass breakup and one blocked kick ... started all 13 games for the Irish ... returned a fumble 77 yards for a touchdown against Navy (Sept. 1) ... the touchdown was the first of his career ... also tallied four tackles and two sacks for nine yards against the Midshipman ... had four more tackles each against Purdue (Sept. 8) and Michigan State (Sept. 15) ... recorded two sacks for 12 yards against the Boilermakers and one sack against the Spartans ... had two tackles and a sack for 10 yards against Michigan (Sept. 22) ... had seven tackles and a key half sack against Stanford (Oct. 13) ... recorded five tackles and two sacks for a loss of 25 yards against BYU (Oct. 20) ... notched six tackles and 1.5 sacks for six yards in a three-overtime win over Pittsburgh (Nov. 3) ... had one sack each against Boston College (Nov. 10) and Wake Forest (Nov. 17) ... forced two fumbles against Boston College ... totaled five tackles in BCS National Championship Game vs. Alabama.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2011): Talented freshman who saw action in nine games, while starting three ... started vs. Navy, Wake Forest and Maryland ... did not play vs. Michigan, Purdue, Boston College or Stanford ... showed steady improvement throughout the season, tallying 26 of 30 tackles over final six games played ... had season high in tackles with seven in games against USC and Navy ... notched five tackles and a pass breakup in a win vs. Air Force ... turned in most disruptive game in a win at Wake Forest, compiling four tackles, with two going for a loss of 14 yards ... also had an 11-yard sack ... tallied two tackles each in wins against Michigan State and Pittsburgh ... registered three tackles to go along with a seven-yard sack in the Champs Sports Bowl against Florida State.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: Rated 38th nationally on Sports Illustrated list of top players from 2010 ... Georgia Class 3A all-state first-team defense selection for 2010 by Atlanta Journal-Constitution ... one of four Georgia players to be named to all-Southern team by Orlando Sentinel ... second on Rivals strong-side defensive end list ... ranked 22nd overall on Rivals 100 lists ... 23rd on Sporting News Top 100 list and 90th on ESPN 150 list ... ranked 42nd nationally on MaxPrep Top 100 list ... landed 13th spot on Atlanta Journal-Constitution Fab 50 breakdown and SuperPrep defensive line rankings ... rated 35th on The Kickoff Top 150 Prospects list ... played in U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio and Team USA vs. The World All-Star Game in Austin, Texas ... led Monroe Area High School in Monroe, Ga., to 11-2 record and third-round appearance in the Georgia Class AAA state playoffs during senior season in 2010, after Monroe Area had finished a combined 0-20 the previous two seasons ... also played as tight end ... first-team all-Georgia Region 8-AAA for 2010 by vote of area coaches ... recorded 56 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, four forced fumbles and two fumbles recovered as junior in 2009 ... played for coach Matt Figg at Monroe Area High School ... son of Tamara Tuitt ... enrolled in College of Arts and Letters, with a major in anthropology.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting choice..not a huge need...1st round grade...left a lot WRs on the board, but higher rated guy than any CB on the board. Maybe they turned the page on Brett coming back.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After botching our first round pick, I'm pretty excited about our second rounder.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting choice..not a huge need...1st round grade...left a lot WRs on the board, but higher rated guy than any CB on the board. Maybe they turned the page on Brett coming back.

I think that they realize bret is getting old and they should get a replacement so he can mentor him

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that PIT has drafted a DE we can assume 2 things:
1. McLendon will not be moving to the outside
2. Kiesel isn't likely to be resigned. Not a penny over the vet minimum if he does. Heyward, Cam Thomas, Nick Williams, Arnfelt, and now Tuitt as rostered DE's. McLendon, Fangupo, and Thomas (swing) will hold down the inside.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd pic RB Dri Archer (Compensatory selection)

First name is pronounced "DREE". The Florida prep averaged 10.2 yards per carry as a senior, finished second in the 100-meter final of the state high school track meet (ahead of third-place finisher Denard Robinson) and also lettered in baseball. Played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2009, rushing 58 times for 246 yards (4.2-yard average) and one touchdown with 19 receptions for 231 yards (12.2) and three touchdowns. Missed one game due to coach's choice. Appeared in all 12 games (one start at RB) in '10 and carried 40-140-1 (3.5) and caught 16-75-1 (4.7). Was academically ineligible in '11, missing the entire season. Returned to the field in '12 and had a breakout year, setting a Kent State single-season record with 23 touchdowns. Ran for 159-1,429-16 (9.0) and caught 39-561-4 (15.6) in 14 games (11 starts at slot receiver). Returned three kickoffs for touchdowns and averaged 36.9 yards on 16 kickoff returns. Was a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award, honoring the nation's most versatile player. Was the MAC's Special Teams Player of the Year and first-team all-MAC at both running back and kick returner. Injured his left ankle during the first series of the '13 season and was hampered for much of September, missing early season games against Bowling Green and Penn State and seeing limited action against LSU. Played in 10 games (nine starts at slot receiver) and carried 68-527-6 (7.8) and caught 25-327-4 (13.1). Had a 100-yard kickoff return touchdown against Northern Illinois. Despite making just 21 collegiate starts, he finished his Kent State career ranked among the school's all-time leaders with 4,980 all-purpose yards and 40 touchdowns (24 rushing, 12 receiving, four kickoff returns).
Analysis
Strengths

Rare burst, acceleration and top-end speed to take the corner and create big plays. Can fly by MAC competition with top gear. Very good agility, balance, vision and creativity. Weaves through a crowd and can find daylight. Soft-handed and plucks the ball with ease. Extremely strong pound-for-pound. Very good career all-purpose yardage. Good versatility -- contributes as a runner, slot receiver and return man. Four career kickoff-return TDs (and was kicked away from). Clocked a 4.16-second 40-yard dash in 18 steps on one official handheld combine watch, tying Calvin Johnson’s NFL Scouting Combine record for fewest steps. Has a 38-inch vertical jump.
Weaknesses
Very short and rail thin with no strength or running power. Not a tackle-breaker and goes down easy on contact. Limited inside runner. Can be knocked off routes easily and struggles catching on contact. Not a nuanced route runner. Very marginal, underpowered blocker. Could stand to do a better job securing the ball in traffic. Is not ideally built to withstand a full NFL season.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Bottom Line
An injury-riddled senior season cannot eclipse what an explosive playmaker Archer demonstrated he can be when healthy. Was slowed by an ankle injury early and did not return to junior form until late in senior season. Can make an immediate impact in the return game and add value as a multipurpose threat. Long-term durability is greatest concern given tiny frame.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Archer could be the next Darren Sproles.