• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS 2014 DRAFT PICS

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They took McCullers!!

6th Round pick: Daniel McCullers, DT Tennessee

STRENGTHS Rare size with vines for arms, an enormous wingspan and exceptional mass to occupy space and hold up multiple blockers -- has clear two-gap potential. Looks every bit the part with a relatively lean build for a 350-pounder -- carries his weight well with some muscle definition and good overall body thickness. Can overpower zone blockers with sheer size. Very durable and has not missed any games to injury throughout his career.

WEAKNESSES
Lets his pads rise (first move is up), gets outleveraged and does not hold his ground as well as a man his size should. Gets turned out of the hole and sealed. Duck-footed short-stepper with limited play range -- does not make plays outside the box. Average body power to roll his hips and generate torque. Limited pass-rush potential (confirmed by 1.5 career sacks) -- is late off the ball, does not collapse the pocket and stays blocked too long. Must improve his hand use to disengage. Exited high school pushing 400 pounds and weight has fluctuated in the past.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE A big-boned, short-area plugger with some underachiever traits, McCullers has raw tools that could become special if he learns to harness the innate strength in his body and pairs with a DL coach who can refine his mechanics.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Recap (so far)

1. Ryan Shazier, LB Ohio State
2. Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame
3. Dri Archer, RB Kent State
4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
5. Shaquille Richardson, CB Arizona
5. Wesley Johnson, OT Vanderbuilt
6. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB UCLA
6. Daniel McCullers, DT Tennessee

Pretty confusing draft to say the least. Steelers went BPA a lot instead of going with top needs. However, I'm pretty happy though with the outcome so far. They added a tall WR, a competitive CB, and a top tier DE to satisfy their top needs. Well at least on paper they did. I like the selection of McCullers in the bottom of the 6th because he was a 2-3 round projection so I think they found great value with him that late. His pad level is still a concern, but this late in the draft its worth a shot. Zumwalt is an interesting choice in that he is a great player, but PIT doesn't have a need for an ILB now that Shazier is taking over the mack position. I guess LeBeau wants his LB farm to choose from lol. Dri Archer is the only pick that really frustrated me. Sure he's the fastest in the draft, but PIT took him to fill the scatback/KR roll. I think they could have found a player like Seastrunk or White later in the draft to fill the same roll. It will be interesting to see how they use him. Wesley Johnson is a good value pick for the 5th round. If he can add strength and weight to his frame then he could add much needed competition/motivation for Adams.

So far I would give them a B- grade. I wish they would have taken a CB in the 3rd Round, then came back and got Bryant in the 4th. Would have looked a lot more satisfying on paper. I just feel like this draft was more about what Colbert & Tomlin wanted rather than what the scouts were telling them. They are showing a lot of faith in their current rostered players (minus Vince Williams).

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Steelers take Roberson with their last pick

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7th Round pick: Rob Blanchflower, TE Mass

STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Competitive run blocker -- drives his legs and works to finish. Tough. Functional pass protector. Lays out for the ball and will sell out his body to make difficult catches. Good career production -- exits school as career receiving leader for a tight end. Smart. Solid special-teams temperament. Respected leader and two-time team captain. Four-year starter.

WEAKNESSES Average athletic ability. Can improve beating the jam. Not a quick or savvy route runner. Rounds out of his breaks and can do a better job selling routes with stems and nods. Creates little separation. Takes what he is given after the catch -- limited creativity and elusiveness. Inconsistent hands. Regularly matched up vs. lesser competition. Will be a 24-year-old rookie.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE A scrappy, tough, competitive 'Y' tight end, Blanchflower was slowed by injury as a senior. However, he possesses the grit to factor in-line in the run game and can become a solid base-blocking No. 3 tight end and short-area receiving option.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5. Wesley Johnson, OT Vanderbilt
7. Rob Blachflower, TE Massachusetts

Passed up on Roberson... Interesting

I'll stick with my B- grade

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Recap (so far)

5. Wesley Johnson, OT Vanderbuilt

So far I would give them a B- grade. I wish they would have taken a CB in the 3rd Round, then came back and got Bryant in the 4th. Would have looked a lot more satisfying on paper. I just feel like this draft was more about what Colbert & Tomlin wanted rather than what the scouts were telling them. They are showing a lot of faith in their current rostered players (minus Vince Williams).

Fair points.

With the TE picked my early thoughts on the draft is very solid...it lacked the big name/need position flair that the media likes.

Just looking at how they chose to go about this draft...they did stick to BPA for the most part and overall I think they added more potential impact from this rookie class than LY.

1. I'm not ready to say Shazier is plugged in as the starter. IMO he brings a different skillset that they've been waiting to get from Spence. I see him playing early in a sub pkg.

2. They had to replace Hood and Tuitt has the potential to be better...admittedly I was not thrilled with his play vs Bama, but that's one game...I think he will be in the rotation.

3. This pick took a lot of discipline...there were a several CBs on the board, but none offered the immediate impact potential this guy brings. Better than Rainey, better than LSH...if they get him into the mix...teams will have to game plan for him.

4. The perfect tall WR for the Steelers...we don't need a burner, superstar guy...I'm hoping for a Boldin type, only bigger. He's not going to be the #3 WR this year, but #4 guy with some RZ targets would be nice...he should contribute this year.

5-7...imo these are all developmental players...McCullers is an interesting pick...at least we got one right with our mock! Be interested to hear what coach Mitch thinks about him. Really tall for a 3-4 DT, but he does handle DBL teams well.

Yeah...not the sexy need type draft that ATL, HOU and some other teams had, but I feel like they were not really looking for 2014 starters...BPA is what they stuck by...especially the top 4 picks.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. The perfect tall WR for the Steelers...we don't need a burner, superstar guy...I'm hoping for a Boldin type, only bigger. He's not going to be the #3 WR this year, but #4 guy with some RZ targets would be nice...he should contribute this year.

Good analysis! I sure hope they find good use with Archer. Cuz like you said, there was a lot of CB talent still on the board.

Martavis Bryant surprisingly ran a fast 40-time at 4.42s. He was 5th amongst all the WRs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT's 10 UDFA's:

Devon Carrington DB 6-1 204 Stanford
Chris Elkins OL 6-4 300 Youngstown State
Ethan Hemer DE 6-6 285 Wisconsin
Kaycee Ike OT 6-5 293 UAB
Howard Jones LB 6-4 238 Shepherd
Brendon Kay QB 6-4 228 Cincinnati
Josh Mauro DE 6-6 282 Stanford
Roy Philon DT 6-3 291 Louisville
Will Simmons OG 6-5 342 East Carolina (That's a big man!)
Eric Waters TE 6-5 245 Missouri

Awesome UDFA pickup with Mauro… Kind of surprised that they didn't pick up more DB's, especially since Roberson & Purifoy are still there. I understand they both have "character" issues but why not go for it with UDFA since its NO risk & high reward? I guess I'll just have to trust LeBeau's statements on his DB's.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis! I sure hope they find good use with Archer. Cuz like you said, there was a lot of CB talent still on the board.

Martavis Bryant surprisingly ran a fast 40-time at 4.42s. He was 5th amongst all the WRs.

Archer...taking him as early as they did...I have to think there will be a 5 to 6 touch pkg for him...return game to relieve ABrown.

Bryant...I think on another team, he's a 60+ catch a year guy in college and a much higher draft pick...Saw Clemson twice against GA Tech and the UGA game...with all the attention on Watkins, you knew he was on the field in both games. I think Moye will have to show it early to make the roster.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My grade went up as more picks came in.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea because it looks flashy on paper... We were VERY fortunate to be able to grab Bryant in the 4th. I have been hearing a lot of hype over Shaquile Richardson, but I have yet to see the "talent" on game film. I sure hope he pans out. But we should see considerable improvement in the secondary since they showed a lot of trust in the vet CB's on the roster with not drafting one higher... And especially now that the LB position has been completely fortified there shouldn't be any more excuses. It will be interesting to see if they all make the 53, because I have a suspicion that a few wont, Zumwalt in particular. They say he is a surefire ST contributer, but we already have 2 solid LBs that fill that roll in Wilson & Garvin. I do like the kid's competitiveness though, so he could find his way onto the roster somehow.

Draft grades mean absolutely nothing until September when they are put to the test.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea because it looks flashy on paper... We were VERY fortunate to be able to grab Bryant in the 4th. I have been hearing a lot of hype over Shaquile Richardson, but I have yet to see the "talent" on game film. I sure hope he pans out. But we should see considerable improvement in the secondary since they showed a lot of trust in the vet CB's on the roster with not drafting one higher... And especially now that the LB position has been completely fortified there shouldn't be any more excuses. It will be interesting to see if they all make the 53, because I have a suspicion that a few wont, Zumwalt in particular. They say he is a surefire ST contributer, but we already have 2 solid LBs that fill that roll in Wilson & Garvin. I do like the kid's competitiveness though, so he could find his way onto the roster somehow.

Draft grades mean absolutely nothing until September when they are put to the test.

Really? I haven't read the national take on it...I didn't see it as flashy on paper but potentially very functional, especially the top 4.

CB/S...only taking 1 CB overall and not even giving a look see @ UFA FL boys tells me they're pretty comfortable with their back 4 to 6 guys.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay says we win the draft of the AFC North.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I haven't read the national take on it...I didn't see it as flashy on paper but potentially very functional, especially the top 4.

CB/S...only taking 1 CB overall and not even giving a look see @ UFA FL boys tells me they're pretty comfortable with their back 4 to 6 guys.

Well everything we read at this point is pure speculation on an NFL level. So it could be either functional or flashy lol. I've read a ton of articles already saying the Dri Archer pick was a luxury move and probably should have been spent on a CB.

Yea I agree that LeBeau & Lake must really feel comfortable with the depth they have. I know Lake already spoke about it before the draft in a presser and he stated that "they already signed guys" and basically made it sound like CB wasn't that big of a priority.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only draft day grade that makes any sense to me...how well did the team address needs. Everything else depends on the development of the players.

Glancing at the DIV at large.

PIT...did not go after a traditional 3-4 NT type player choosing to leave Ryan Carrethers on the board in the 5th rd, but they did address interior DL with MC\cCullers...aside from that Colbert did seem to cover needs, but not in the order we expected...was clearly a BPA draft this year.

BAL...they seemed to go BPA in the 1st round as well...a little baffling that they did not draft an OL, but Ozzie is one of the more respected GMs...always seems to have a good draft.

CIN...1st round pick targeted a big need @ CB...big RB Hill to balance out the smaller guy, Bernard. Good RB, but imo not a stud

CLE...They got the #1 rated CB by most scouting reports, plus dbl down on CB with Desir...potential starting RT, imo they blew it with Manziel...maybe he helps the gate for next season, but in 4 yrs I don't expect him to be the starting QB of the Browns...not the best DIV for him imo.

Again...we have to see how all this comes out in the wash later on, but I'm pleased with how Colbert/Tomlin handled this draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only draft day grade that makes any sense to me...how well did the team address needs. Everything else depends on the development of the players.

Again...we have to see how all this comes out in the wash later on, but I'm pleased with how Colbert/Tomlin handled this draft.

Good point. I guess I was weighing too heavily on face value. But it could have gone either way with the draft. I'm happy as well, and hopeful! The more I read about it the more comfortable I feel. If the secondary flops again then I could see CB right back at the top of the list with needs. Especially since Allen & Taylor are in their final contract year and Gay only has 1 year left in '15. They might be looking at FA next offseason regardless of how they play in '14.

I've been reading that after the draft LeBeau was like a little boy on christmas morning after he opened up his presents. Back to the lab to draw up some new packages!