• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Team

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craw apparently cleared revocable waivers. That is shocking to me. MAYBE it is because no one believe the Giants are actually looking to trade him, and he would just be pulled back anyway, but no team sees him and his contract as a positive to even try? Or simply as a block?

Has his perceived value around the league really dropped that low, that he is viewed as an overall net-negative?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it the skills or is it the approach with the offense? Under Bochy/Meulens, the team has been a grind it out, move the line, low risk/low reward offense. This is OK when the pitching is excellent, but when the pitching is anything other than excellent, this is a losing approach. The rest of baseball has moved on to high risk/high reward power baseball. I believe that the Giants have more 1 run innings than any team in baseball. The ability to hit with RISP has been sorely lacking the last few years. So while we need an upgrade especially in the OF (Pence needs to become a part time player pronto), I do wonder whether the Giants' org needs to retool their offensive approach. Because this isn't working. Last year, the Giants scored 715 runs, which was as much as it was because of the first half. This season, they are on pace for 633 runs, an 82 run decrease!

IF that's true, and that's IF, then let's be excellent on the mound. I like that type of baseball best anyway, and it suits our park. Bum, Cueto, and Blach are fine. Scrabble is serviceable. Let's just be excellent with our pitching and D and see what happens.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craw apparently cleared revocable waivers. That is shocking to me. MAYBE it is because no one believe the Giants are actually looking to trade him, and he would just be pulled back anyway, but no team sees him and his contract as a positive to even try? Or simply as a block?

Has his perceived value around the league really dropped that low, that he is viewed as an overall net-negative?

Not too shocking, IMO. Tough for teams to risk taking on that much salary at this point in the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too shocking, IMO. Tough for teams to risk taking on that much salary at this point in the season.
But not 1 team looks at him and figures they could use him? Again, I understand he is owed money. But that not a single team would put in a claim is surprising to me.

Maybe putting in a claim is considered bad manners or bad form. If you are not legit looking to block, teams gets ostracized for putting in claims?? If the Brewers put in a claim for a guy they think the Cubs want, that is cool and understandable, but the Phils putting in a claim for a guy they know will be pulled back is just a dick move...

:noidea:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not familiar with Revocable Waivers. What is it used for and why would the Giants put Crawford on it?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not familiar with Revocable Waivers. What is it used for and why would the Giants put Crawford on it?
In order for a player to be traded in August, and still be eligible for list-season play, he has to have cleared waivers.

In August, a special type of waiver system exists where a team can place a player on waivers and if said player is claimed, the original team can pull him back, let him go to the claiming team (Cody Ross, George Kontos), or work out a trade with the claiming team.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But not 1 team looks at him and figures they could use him? Again, I understand he is owed money. But that not a single team would put in a claim is surprising to me.

Maybe putting in a claim is considered bad manners or bad form. If you are not legit looking to block, teams gets ostracized for putting in claims?? If the Brewers put in a claim for a guy they think the Cubs want, that is cool and understandable, but the Phils putting in a claim for a guy they know will be pulled back is just a dick move...

:noidea:

I'm sure a lot of teams could use him, but IDK I think it's fairly common that most players with any sort of salary commitment make it through, outside of like Mike Trout or the generational players.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for a player to be traded in August, and still be eligible for list-season play, he has to have cleared waivers.

In August, a special type of waiver system exists where a team can place a player on waivers and if said player is claimed, the original team can pull him back, let him go to the claiming team (Cody Ross, George Kontos), or work out a trade with the claiming team.

But what reason is there to put a player on waivers, unless you want to at least listen to offers?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what reason is there to put a player on waivers, unless you want to at least listen to offers?
1) Dump him and his contract (Kontos)

2) Gauge league interest (if no one claims him, you know has negative value)

3) Hide the REAL player you are trying to sneak through.

4) Why not?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4) Why not?

Makes sense

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4) Why not?

Not necessarily. Again, it has a lot to do with money and/or contract structure.

Bryce Harper made it through waivers, you think he has negative value?

But yeah, basically those are the reasons guys go through waivers.