• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Tight End week 1?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished up an article on the tight end position and to me it is the most intriguing battle beyond the QB's on the team. When it came time to announce a starter I kept going back and forth between about 4 different guys I could see being that guy.

Honestly on my final break down I don't even have Virgil Green making the team. His price compared to what he actually brings the team makes him a prime candidate to get cut.

So my question to you is who is the week 1 starter at the TE position?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking it should be starting Te's ,right ? We know Butt isn't going anywhere but his availability to start week 1 is questionable. Of these 5, Derby, Huerman,Coble, Green and Traylor, I think Traylor and Green are gone. Think Derby is number 1 followed by Coble and Huerman. If either stumbles, Green stays. When Butt is 100%, think he wins snaps over Derby. ?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been impressed with Heuerman since he was drafted. Agree that Green gets cut. I think the Broncos future is two young guys in Derby and Butt or as I fondly call them ButtDerby.

With Jake Butt's injury, that would make AJ Derby the #1 starting tight end in week one.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that interesting, though points for trying to create a thread about the TE battle. ;)

Derby, then Heurmann. Butt if he can play will make the active roster. I can see Virgil staying if he restructures.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In total agreement with Randy. I'd love for Butt to be the starter week one, but don't see him ready yet. So I'd say Derby with Butt becoming the primary by mid season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that interesting, though points for trying to create a thread about the TE battle. ;)

Derby, then Heurmann. Butt if he can play will make the active roster. I can see Virgil staying if he restructures.

I think it is one of the more interesting camp battles. I know the TE position hasn't been great and I'm not expecting this group to light the league on fire but it is one of the few groups we have no clue who the starter will be day 1. Virgil Green could hold down the spot for another year but has to really show above and beyond the other guys to justify his contract. Heuerman if he can stay healthy has been the big play TE in OTA's so far so can he continue that into training camp? AJ Derby was the one guy that showed some flashes last year so can he build on that? Of course then the question of when Jake Butt gets healthy enough to compete will be on the table.

I guess for me just some intriguing story lines in this group. I mean right now barring injury we can name probably 45 of the 53 man roster. TE seems to be the one group we have no clue who makes the team.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is one of the more interesting camp battles. I know the TE position hasn't been great and I'm not expecting this group to light the league on fire but it is one of the few groups we have no clue who the starter will be day 1. Virgil Green could hold down the spot for another year but has to really show above and beyond the other guys to justify his contract. Heuerman if he can stay healthy has been the big play TE in OTA's so far so can he continue that into training camp? AJ Derby was the one guy that showed some flashes last year so can he build on that? Of course then the question of when Jake Butt gets healthy enough to compete will be on the table.

I guess for me just some intriguing story lines in this group. I mean right now barring injury we can name probably 45 of the 53 man roster. TE seems to be the one group we have no clue who makes the team.
Agree 100% on the Te position being extremely important, non- boring and very critical to this offense in both the run game and pass. Very hopeful one or more of these guys step up to the plate and make that position relevant once again in MHC :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% on the Te position being extremely important, non- boring and very critical to this offense in both the run game and pass. Very hopeful one or more of these guys step up to the plate and make that position relevant once again in MHC :)

It would be nice for sure! Shannon Sharpe spoiled us with having that awesome threat over the middle. I would be happy with a TE that can get that 500 yards and 8 TD type season. Have that red zone threat that has been missing since Julius Thomas walked out the building.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think #1 is Green.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends. Green and Derby are sorta 1A 1B.

Butt won't be ready but sounding good for him getting some reps at some point this season.

Don't count out a Gary Barnridge signing early in pre-season if he is still hanging around.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends. Green and Derby are sorta 1A 1B.

Butt won't be ready but sounding good for him getting some reps at some point this season.

Don't count out a Gary Barnridge signing early in pre-season if he is still hanging around.

I could definitely see a Barnidge signing. If the Broncos don't like the depth being shown or an injury to the position happens to one of the top-3 guys or Butt has a set back then Barnidge most likely will be a Bronco. The Broncos have about $5 million or so in actual cap space to work with. Yes I know the number says $12 million but you set aside $5 million for emergency/carry over and then another few million for the practice squad players. My guess is a couple of other guys like Stephenson and Green would maybe have to get cut to for sure have the room and some breathing room to work with.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope the Ravens don't sign him before we decide to offer him a deal.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green is still the best combination blocker and receiver - he is still number 1 at TE. I know at Nevada - Green caught more than 50 passes one year - he can catch the ball. With Manning he was kept in for protection - rather become a receiver - under Kubiak - he did what they asked of him. I am of the mind that Green still has ceiling - especially if he can make himself into a safety valve for the Bronco QB - where the QB actually looks for him.

IMO - Derby and Heuerman are eventually fighting for the same job - I think Derby would win that competition - as I expect Heuerman to be injured at some point in the season. I think the TE crew of Butt - Derby and Green is a dream group of TEs.

I'm excited for the possibilities of the roster on offense - I like the priority in the draft at speed and abilities to make defenders miss.

Most of us thought the Oline was poorly attended to in the building of last year's roster - and I will have to say - my biggest concern is that the Broncos still haven't made the Oline the priority it needs to be. I do think they are overall more talented and will have better coaching.

What makes the Broncos quantitatively better this TC is the potential for yards in the return game. The Broncos had the worst return stats in the league last year. Even 5 yards better will multiple play options - giving the defense more things to cover.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not fully convinced Heuerman makes the team this year.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green is still the best combination blocker and receiver - he is still number 1 at TE. I know at Nevada - Green caught more than 50 passes one year - he can catch the ball. With Manning he was kept in for protection - rather become a receiver - under Kubiak - he did what they asked of him. I am of the mind that Green still has ceiling - especially if he can make himself into a safety valve for the Bronco QB - where the QB actually looks for him.

IMO - Derby and Heuerman are eventually fighting for the same job - I think Derby would win that competition - as I expect Heuerman to be injured at some point in the season. I think the TE crew of Butt - Derby and Green is a dream group of TEs.

I'm excited for the possibilities of the roster on offense - I like the priority in the draft at speed and abilities to make defenders miss.

Most of us thought the Oline was poorly attended to in the building of last year's roster - and I will have to say - my biggest concern is that the Broncos still haven't made the Oline the priority it needs to be. I do think they are overall more talented and will have better coaching.

What makes the Broncos quantitatively better this TC is the potential for yards in the return game. The Broncos had the worst return stats in the league last year. Even 5 yards better will multiple play options - giving the defense more things to cover.
Good point on Green Mingo. No te especially Green were given much attention in pass game. If he is best blocker though, not sure that is good sign. We definitely need that position to be more involved and productive in pass game but a
I am not fully convinced Heuerman makes the team this year.
Aside from Butt, I'm not " fully " convinced any of the Te's are a given to make roster. :)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Gary Barnidge has spoken with Broncos
    May 30 - 11:14 AM

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree SS .

My guess is We are done spending . we also have the TE from Iowa that caught every thing through at him last camp ..