• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2013 Edition

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes!!! Fucking finally. I'm going down there March 22-24. A'ss at Giants and Giants at RallyMonkeys in addition to two other games

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes!!! Fucking finally.

Yes ... yes ... a thousand times yes .... as we begin our defense of the crown ... some thoughts .... about .... 2013 ....

1. Belt SHINES this year.
2. Crawford will continue to improve offensively. He will be somewhat of a surprise for us this year
3. Pence will reward our investment in him. He will come to play this year.
4. Pagan will prove that last year was not a fluke
5. Torres will prove to be a very valuable pickup for us
6. Timmeh will improve but will never return to the 2008 level. Where he finally settles will be the topic of many 'board' discussions
7. MadBum will via for the CY. He will emerge as our ace this year.

and lastly .... on a somewhat concerned note .....

8. Panda seems to be moving in the direction of his 2010 image .... a large and immovable object ... not what we really want to see for him ....

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes ... yes ... a thousand times yes .... as we begin our defense of the crown ... some thoughts .... about .... 2013 ....

1. Belt SHINES this year.
2. Crawford will continue to improve offensively. He will be somewhat of a surprise for us this year
3. Pence will reward our investment in him. He will come to play this year.
4. Pagan will prove that last year was not a fluke
5. Torres will prove to be a very valuable pickup for us
6. Timmeh will improve but will never return to the 2008 level. Where he finally settles will be the topic of many 'board' discussions
7. MadBum will via for the CY. He will emerge as our ace this year.

and lastly .... on a somewhat concerned note .....

8. Panda seems to be moving in the direction of a "30-HR Guy".

FIFY

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conor Gillaspie, Joaquin Arias, Gregor Blanco, Yusmeiro Petit, Jose Mijares

^^
List of 40 man rosterees who are less than 5 years service time and out of options.

You have to figure Kobe, Shark and Mijares are just about locks for the 25 man. Conor has a shot at making it as the 6th infielder (will need to beat out Abreu and Tanaka). Petit has a decent shot at the 7th bullpen arm (although I think RamRam has the inner track).

I think Pill, Cole G or Peguero make it since they all hit RH and that's lacking on the bench. Pill can play 1b or LF so he's a bit more versatile.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conor Gillaspie, Joaquin Arias, Gregor Blanco, Yusmeiro Petit, Jose Mijares

^^
List of 40 man rosterees who are less than 5 years service time and out of options.

You have to figure Kobe, Shark and Mijares are just about locks for the 25 man. Conor has a shot at making it as the 6th infielder (will need to beat out Abreu and Tanaka). Petit has a decent shot at the 7th bullpen arm (although I think RamRam has the inner track).

I think Pill, Cole G or Peguero make it since they all hit RH and that's lacking on the bench. Pill can play 1b or LF so he's a bit more versatile.

I think Petit gets DFA'd, and there is a good chance he clears.

Arias, Blanco and Mijares are locks.

Gonor will only make the team if there is a DL play somewhere. His bat is non-existent and he is a statue in the field.

I think Frankie Pegs has the best shot in the OF, but I am ignorant on Gillespie, so I can't argue that point. I think Pill is a LONG shot. Ability to play 1B is useless with Belt, Posey and Panda all on the roster.

I think, however, that Tanaka has a REAL strong chance for breaking camp. From what I ave read, I like his attitude. He has been a Giants fan since 2010, so you gotta like the guy...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Petit gets DFA'd, and there is a good chance he clears.

Arias, Blanco and Mijares are locks.

Gonor will only make the team if there is a DL play somewhere. His bat is non-existent and he is a statue in the field.

I think Frankie Pegs has the best shot in the OF, but I am ignorant on Gillespie, so I can't argue that point. I think Pill is a LONG shot. Ability to play 1B is useless with Belt, Posey and Panda all on the roster.

I think, however, that Tanaka has a REAL strong chance for breaking camp. From what I ave read, I like his attitude. He has been a Giants fan since 2010, so you gotta like the guy...

I'm thinking Gonor is third in line behind Abreu and Tenaka. I'd put Abreu in front of Tenaka because he can play more than one position.

I'm assuming Pill is on the bench because he can play OF and 1b and he's a RH power hitter.

That really leaves just one spot for a UI.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm thinking Gonor is third in line behind Abreu and Tenaka. I'd put Abreu in front of Tenaka because he can play more than one position.

I'm assuming Pill is on the bench because he can play OF and 1b and he's a RH power hitter.

That really leaves just one spot for a UI.

Where does Nick Noonan fit into the UI equation?

My flyer pick this year is Roger Kieschnick. A great spring and he could find a spot on the roster - especially so if Torres' wheels show themselves to be broken. But the guy I most to see play is Brock Bond. Anyone know how good his D is?

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My flyer pick this year is Roger Kieschnick. A great spring and he could find a spot on the roster - especially so if Torres' wheels show themselves to be broken. But the guy I most to see play is Brock Bond. Anyone know how good his D is?

Dr B has him as a terrible fielder with no arm, so there's that...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always seem to overlook Noonan, but he's a 23 yo who has never really broken out. Still, he's got a decent glove and some power, although his base stealing days are long gone. He's in the mix. I'd put him third:

1. Abreu
2. Tanaka
3. Noonan
4. Goner

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dr B has him as a terrible fielder with no arm, so there's that...

That's too bad..... his ability to get on base is impressive. And that one skill isn't diminishing as he moves through the org.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an MLBTV show where they rated Bochy as the best manager in baseball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw an MLBTV show where they rated Bochy as the best manager in baseball.

I saw that a couple days ago. They kind of delivered it like it was a no-brainer. Looks like he is finally getting the respect he deserves. Or at least from MLBtv.

I kept expecting them to reveal him as the #6 or #7 guy. I kinda wanted to get pissed at their ranking. Now I am pissed that they did not give me the chance to be pissed.

Bastards!!