• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring ball:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yet another KT: this gives a pretty good break down of our DL situation.
VT Football: Recruiting stars vs. football stars ... | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

FWIW: I've never been as surprised about a recruit than i am about Acree. Watching film of him out of HS he seemed unblockable, then his camp film against some big time OL looked about the same, then his weight room #'s, i honestly thought he would be a super star @ VT.

In hind sight: if we had known Acree would be this much of a project, i think i'd have rather seen him on the OL. With his strength and size and less than elite 40 time he may have been more suited there.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, thanks for including them

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Me too, thanks for including them

no prob just didnt want to clutter up the board if no one is reading them. BTW if the weather works with me, ill be @ the scrimmage tonight. Try to do a little recap when i get back in.:ranger:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
2nd open scrimmage (an almost play by play version) but first a few thoughts:
it was cold and windy (not ideal conditions for throwing the ball or kicking fgs)

Telvion Clarke and (of course) Chase Williams are going to be very good LB's for us @ some point.

Logan Thomas is as cool and calm as any QB i've ever seen (its almost weird) ------> BTW he may not have the quick twitch reaction of tyrod or the vicks but for a guy his size he CAN run!

David Wilson: im starting to believe the chick-fil-a rumors

Danny Coale: still open catching everything and from looks of things may have to punt:doh:

Defensive line looks explosive @ times, but to the OL's credit they really held there own in the 1's v/s 1's.

Marcus Davis Has to be the best backup in the country!

Dont know if this is a product of O'cain calling plays (especially because im not sure if he does for these things) or if it has more to do with Logan but it seems that we've put more screen and flat type pass plays and some different looking play actions in. Also seemed a little harder to predict the play call <---dont want to read to much into that yet though as this was just a scrimmage.

Theres more but you guys get my drift.

The next post will be a basic play by play. To be honest i may have missed a play or 2, im sure i was confused about which sets were in at times ( by sets i mean 2nd or 3rd team), I basically eyeballed and rounded on the yardage, and i dont have all the names to go with #'s. Also since it was basically VT v/s VT i kinda watched the game from an offensive point of view so most of the play by play is offensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
1st O v/s 2nd D: 1st play wilson bust big run off the right side 30-35 yards down inside the 5. 2nd down: DW dive play for TD.

2nd O v/s 1st D: JuJu 8 yards on the hash to Davis, next 2 run plays (both hopper i think, i know it wasnt JO or DW) go backward 4 yards. Cody Journell kicks FG (aprox 30 idk)

1st O v/s 2nd D: Logan has nice 10 yard or so run that would have been a td if he wasnt wearing yellow. <-------- he stiffed armed a db to the ground right before the goal line and was considered down. CJ 31 yard fg

1st D v/s 2nd O: D basically drives them back this series including a sack. CJ misses from 45 yards out.

1st O v/s 1st D: Goal line situation: oglesby tough 3yard run up the gut, JO picks up another yard on sweep toss, Logan hits Drager in back corner of end zone (perfect pass) but db (whitley maybe not sure?) jars it loose before Drager can pull it in, Logan hits coale in front corner of EZ but again a db (cris hill) makes a nice play and jars it loose.

im gonna split these up into a couple post (sometimes i have probs with long post)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
2's on 2's: Telvion Clark stuffs Hopper (i think he's 26 but theres RB's 25 & 36, not 4sure who they are), Chase Williams has pick for long 60yards + TD

from here its basically just the highlights:
1's v/s 1's: DW stuffed twice, then bust one around the right for about 20-25 yards. <------this was a really really nice run, DW showed the total package vision,speed, power, balance, the works. it started off slow in the backfield then he found his hole (vision) hit it @ full speed (acceleration/speed) ran through a tackle (power) and made a 360 spin to break the second tackle and in to the end zone.

2's v/s 2's: telvion clarke has two really nice plays where he was patient and read the offense and was really "shooting the gap" at the perfect time in run blitz. CJ 22 yard fg

1st O v/s 2nd D: David Wilson bust another 30-35 yard run (wow), LT hits coale with a laser across the middle coale picks up ten after the catch for a gain of 30 ( man logan has arm strength and throws some bullets but he tonight he also showed good touch @ times fwiw its real hard not to get really carried away about LT ) David Wilson 8yd Td makes first guy miss and power through the second. again WOW!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
1st D v/s 2nd O: Exum has a nice run stop on this series, the line folds on juju, davis catches a 6yard screen, PUNT (punting could be an issue this year 1 prob didnt go 15, average was about 30 but they were into the wind)

1 O v/s 2 D: LT play action to coale for about 30 (this p.a. was very nicely carried out by JO and LT, you could see it from the stands but the D swarmed JO), 5 yard run up the gut by oglesby, Isaiah Hamlette blows up a screen, lt has to burn it into the ground to avoid sack, LT hits coale on left side of EZ from about 35 yards out <-----nice leaping grab

3rd O v/s 1st D: Leal hits Marcus Davis for a td <----- this pass was about 30 in the air but the show started after that. After Davis caught the ball he was hit by a db who was also going for the strip, MD carries him about 5 yards before pushing him to the ground then is met @ the 5 yard line and fights off another tackle before walking into the EZ. <-----this was a WOW play, one of those plays that makes you ask the people your with "did you see that shit" even though you know they did.

1 O v/s 2nd D: LT to coale in the flat 15 yards, Oglesby 2 runs for 11 yards, LT to coale across the middle ( the same play from ACCcg) 40yard TD <----thomas showed really nice touch and accuracy on this play, basically threw coale open.

2nd O v/s 1 D: some nice inside running by 25, drive ends with an incomplete pass and a 25-30yd punt

1 O v/s 3rd D: LT to dj coles for 10yards on sideline, scarry moment as wang goes down, the OL wearing 95 also went down in this series, both walked off and seemed ok, drive ends with a CJ 30yd fg. CJ made all of his pat's,missed 1fg from 45 (windy).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
2nd O v/s 1st D: Davis makes nice 8 yard catch in traffic, smiling drops one wide open over the middle, whitley nearly picks juju, 10 yard punt.

1's v/s 1's: Screen to coale, derrick hopkins slams jo 1 handed, lt to boykin gain of 40 (nice leaping grab @ the sideline), lt lays boykin out across middle and boykin pays the price as he is absolutely throttled by exum, jo has nice run up sideline breaking tackles picking up about 15 yards along the way, jo picks up about 8 between guard and tackle (man he's tough after contact), ol gets blown up in the middle jo has to shake a guy to get back to l.o.s., jo misses block lt "sacked" by collins off left side, kicker #9 misses from 37 out (fuller is extremely quick coming off the edge, almost blocking several pat's/fg's tonight)

2's v/s 2's: Davis drops (should say almost catches) a 30 yarder with 2 defenders draped off of him, clarke eats a RB for a 5 yard loss on a run blitz, leal picks up 2o with his feet, leal to dj coles (wide open) @ about ten yards he then picks up 30 more with his legs gain of 40, defense pushes them back for a couple plays then Myer hits 30 yard fg.

1's v/s 1's 2 minute drill: ends in a punt,something didnt seem right this series. LT doesnt look ready for the snap <fumble> recovered for loss of 7, LT lets it fly to boykin down the right sideline but boykin never sees it, logan misses Marcus Davis on a scramble play.

i left with 1:48 in the "4th"

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll give my opinion on some of the individual players and units later but right now i got some leftover bw3's thats calling my name :yo::peace::drink:

Oh and just so you know i cut some of 2-3 yard runs and things of the sort.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give my opinion on some of the individual players and units later but right now i got some leftover bw3's thats calling my name :yo::peace::drink:

Thanks for posting Hunz. I'm about to hit the hay and too tired to read it all right now, but will tomorrow. Thanks again

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Oh and just so you know i cut some of 2-3 yard runs and things of the sort.

Trying to say that i cut out a lot of the 2-3 yard runs and such in the "play by play" most of what i cut out is guys that wont make the field fwiw.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thanks for posting Hunz. I'm about to hit the hay and too tired to read it all right now, but will tomorrow. Thanks again

You got it man, no prob. Just passing it along. Yeah im out for the night also:wave:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
after reading KT sub in 20-25 yards where i said 30-35 yards and i got it about right.hahah