• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla top 25 week 8 discussion thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What games have you seen where Wisconsin did not "destroy" our opponent? Was it the one where we outgained them 490 to 220? The one where we ran 18 runs in a row to score three touchdowns at the end of the game? Was it the one where we were outgaining our opponents 3:1 before going into prevent.

Wisconsin is #10 in the country in yards per play on offense, and#7 in yards per play against on defense. The list of teams in the top 10 in both: Alabama and Wisconsin.

Sure, the schedule sucks, but we've done exactly what we were supposed to. You guys have more losses by more than 10 on your home field this year than we have in the last 9.
You guys are winning conference games by an average of 31-16. We're winning by an average of 56-12. In the two games we have against common opponents, Ohio State has been significantly more dominant.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's wrong with rankings a top 2 talent team that is top 10 in both offense and defense in the top 4 and has killed everyone outside of 1 week?

If you take away week 2, Ohio State and UGA have very similar resumes. A bunch of blowout wins over mediocre to bad teams. But when you take into account week 2 OSU lost by multiple scores at home to a top 10 team, while UGA went on the road and beat a team that will be a top 10 team when the polls come out today.

If OSU beats PSU(and I think they will), you have an argument, but until then, they've done nothing to show they should be ranked above any of the unbeaten P5 teams.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take away week 2, Ohio State and UGA have very similar resumes. A bunch of blowout wins over mediocre to bad teams. But when you take into account week 2 OSU lost by multiple scores at home to a top 10 team, while UGA went on the road and beat a team that will be a top 10 team when the polls come out today.

If OSU beats PSU(and I think they will), you have an argument, but until then, they've done nothing to show they should be ranked above any of the unbeaten P5 teams.
I think you're right about UGA. In all honesty, they should be above OSU probably. However, give me a break about Miami and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a legit team, IMO, but Miami is a fraud who has looked average nearly every week. They've been remarkably lucky to not lose the last 3 weeks. They're not a legitimate top 10 team.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are winning conference games by an average of 31-16. We're winning by an average of 56-12. In the two games we have against common opponents, Ohio State has been significantly more dominant.

If your measure of a team is margin of victory, we're always gonna look like crap because we play a power run game that means that each team has fewer chances. For example, you had 15 drives against Maryland while we had 9. Along with that, we've made a fair bit of mistakes that have cost us points. But let's be clear: The only team that has shown capable of giving Wisconsin any problems this year is Wisconsin. Whether we have dominated other teams in execution or not, we have physically dominated team after team we've played. If you are saying OSU has executed better against poor teams, I agree wholeheartedly. If you are saying OSU has somehow looked like they are reaching a level Wisconsin cannot, then I strongly disagree.

People make these same "margin of victory" arguments year after year and use it to explain how they will blow us out. Yet somehow, we've only really been blown out twice in the past nine years, and both were against teams that won the titles.

But all of this is moot on our end. We are in a pretty simple position. Win out and we make the playoffs. Lose and we don't. When our team is making six stupid penalties per game and two turnovers per game and we are still beating the shit out of .500 teams, that tells me we can beat anyone when we execute.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your measure of a team is margin of victory, we're always gonna look like crap because we play a power run game that means that each team has fewer chances. For example, you had 15 drives against Maryland while we had 9. Along with that, we've made a fair bit of mistakes that have cost us points. But let's be clear: The only team that has shown capable of giving Wisconsin any problems this year is Wisconsin. Whether we have dominated other teams in execution or not, we have physically dominated team after team we've played. If you are saying OSU has executed better against poor teams, I agree wholeheartedly. If you are saying OSU has somehow looked like they are reaching a level Wisconsin cannot, then I strongly disagree.

People make these same "margin of victory" arguments year after year and use it to explain how they will blow us out. Yet somehow, we've only really been blown out twice in the past nine years, and both were against teams that won the titles.

But all of this is moot on our end. We are in a pretty simple position. Win out and we make the playoffs. Lose and we don't. When our team is making six stupid penalties per game and two turnovers per game and we are still beating the shit out of .500 teams, that tells me we can beat anyone when we execute.
I wouldn't call winning by an average of 15 points "beating the shit out of teams". I know you run a power run offense, but that makes you one-dimensional. That's why I don't think you're at Ohio State's level.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right about UGA. In all honesty, they should be above OSU probably. However, give me a break about Miami and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a legit team, IMO, but Miami is a fraud who has looked average nearly every week. They've been remarkably lucky to not lose the last 3 weeks. They're not a legitimate top 10 team.

They might not be, but they're undefeated and Georgia Tech is a better team than anyone OSU has beaten.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call winning by an average of 15 points "beating the shit out of teams". I know you run a power run offense, but that makes you one-dimensional. That's why I don't think you're at Ohio State's level.

Our quarterback is #6 in the country in yards per attempt, #3 in third-down efficiency, and in the top ten in second-half QB rating. We are not remotely a one-dimensional offense like we were a year ago.

Again, if you are saying that we haven't "beaten the shit out of teams," then I find it very hard to believe you've watched our games. Looking at a scoreboard doesn't put into context what actually happened in these games.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might not be, but they're undefeated and Georgia Tech is a better team than anyone OSU has beaten.
Based on what? I'd take Indiana over Georgia Tech without a question. They're the definition of a one-dimensional team, hence why they can't compete with good teams. And Miami was overwhelmingly lucky to win that game. I don't see Tech playing OSU better than Indiana, that's for sure. Indiana is also better defensively.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our quarterback is #6 in the country in yards per attempt, #3 in third-down efficiency, and in the top ten in second-half QB rating. We are not remotely a one-dimensional offense like we were a year ago.

Again, if you are saying that we haven't "beaten the shit out of teams," then I find it very hard to believe you've watched our games. Looking at a scoreboard doesn't put into context what actually happened in these games.
LOL so why doesn't he get to throw often? I guess we'll see in the CCG when you finally play a team that can score points.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL so why doesn't he get to throw often? I guess we'll see in the CCG when you finally play a team that can score points.
Have you ever seen a Paul Chryst team? In 2011, we had Russell freaking Wilson and he would only get 15-20 throws per game against bad teams despite having the most efficient season ever. Why would you show your fancy pass plays when the running back draw is working?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're acting like everyone else is playing murderer's row while OSU has been only been facing the worst team in every conference every week. Outside of Alabama, nobody has been consistently dominant this week, even against bad team. OSU has played one bad game against top 10 OU and otherwise hasn't won by less than 28. Again, with the parity in college football this year, that means a lot. Look at the rest of the top 10 and how they've looked against the average to below average teams on their schedule. Then look at Ohio State. They can only play who's on their schedule, and they're killing everyone, unlike everyone else but Alabama.
I don't think I am. There are numerous posts of mine stating just the opposite. I said earlier I wasn't buying Penn State, TCU and Wisky yet for much the same reasons. tOSU is getting the same as them. Objective folks can see who has wins over good teams and who doesn't. And Bama doesn't really have a signature win now that FSU has shit the bed. What's the next best win, A&M? A lot of teams are getting too much love right now because of questionable competition. Some will be warranted when it is over, some won't.

That "consistently dominant" part doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Like I told Chewie, the "non dominant" win over ND by Georgia was much more impressive than any of their blowout wins. JMO. Blowing out doormats is only a little better than just beating doormats. Doormats are doormats. And if anyone knows doormats, it is a Miner fan!

And some of this isn't tOSU's fault. It isn't their fault the rest of the teams they've played to this point suck. (I guess they might have to take a little responsibility for Army and UNLV since they chose to play them OOC. But they chose to play OU also so if one dings them for Army and UNLV, they gotta give 'em credit for OU.) It isn't like tOSU can trade Rutgers, etal for some B1G teams that are better after the conference schedule has come out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen a Paul Chryst team? In 2011, we had Russell freaking Wilson and he would only get 15-20 throws per game against bad teams despite having the most efficient season ever. Why would you show your fancy pass plays when the running back draw is working?
23.4, to be exact.

I get what you're saying, but a 13/7 TD:INT ratio is not impressive, regardless of what your YPA is. He's not proven to be able to be relied on if a defense stifles the run game, which will eventually happen.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I am. There are numerous posts of mine stating just the opposite. I said earlier I wasn't buying Penn State, TCU and Wisky yet for much the same reasons. tOSU is getting the same as them. Objective folks can see who has wins over good teams and who doesn't. And Bama doesn't really have a signature win now that FSU has shit the bed. What's the next best win, A&M? A lot of teams are getting too much love right now because of questionable competition. Some will be warranted when it is over, some won't.

That "consistently dominant" part doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Like I told Chewie, the "non dominant" win over ND by Georgia was much more impressive than any of their blowout wins. JMO. Blowing out doormats is only a little better than just beating doormats. Doormats are doormats. And if anyone knows doormats, it is a Miner fan!

And some of this isn't tOSU's fault. It isn't their fault the rest of the teams they've played to this point suck. (I guess they might have to take a little responsibility for Army and UNLV since they chose to play them OOC. But they chose to play OU also so if one dings them for Army and UNLV, they gotta give 'em credit for OU.) It isn't like tOSU can trade Rutgers, etal for some B1G teams that are better after the conference schedule has come out.
So who do you buy then? Alabama and that's it?

The only reason I bring up the wins over average teams is the fact that we've seen so many top teams nearly shit the bed/actually shit the bed against bad teams this year. If OSU was winning by a couple TDs, I'd likely have them around 10 or lower. However, they've been absolutely dominating teams. Also, to be fair, Army is a 6-2 team who also won 10 games last year. Not a great team, but also not bad. And we killed them. I'm not promoting this as some huge win, I'm just pointing out that win wasn't over some 2-6 doormat.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think:

Wisconsin
(4-4) Utah State 59-10
(4-3) FAU 31-14
(1-7) BYU 41-6
(4-3) Northwestern 33-24
(3-4) Nebraska 38-17
(3-4) Purdue 17-9

is legit

but

MIAMI
(Doesn't matter) Bethune Cookman 41-13
(6-1) Toledo 52-20
(4-4) Duke 31-6
(2-4) Florida State 24-20
(4-2) Ga Tech 25-24
(4-4) Syracuse 27-19

is a fraud?

smh

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're acting like everyone else is playing murderer's row while OSU has been only been facing the worst team in every conference every week. Outside of Alabama, nobody has been consistently dominant this week, even against bad team.

YOU LOST TO THE ONLY GOOD TEAM YOU PLAYED.

This fact seems to resonate with everyone but OSU fans. You don't just get a free pass because you've beaten up on the shit teams.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who do you buy then? Alabama and that's it?

The only reason I bring up the wins over average teams is the fact that we've seen so many top teams nearly shit the bed/actually shit the bed against bad teams this year. If OSU was winning by a couple TDs, I'd likely have them around 10 or lower. However, they've been absolutely dominating teams. Also, to be fair, Army is a 6-2 team who also won 10 games last year. Not a great team, but also not bad. And we killed them. I'm not promoting this as some huge win, I'm just pointing out that win wasn't over some 2-6 doormat.
That's the whole point and why polls are stupid at this point. Even Bama doesn't have an impressive resume at this point...unless people like "dominating wins" over doormats.

And I think Bama, tOSU and Clem will all be there at the end. But, as of right now, only Clemson has what would be considered "good wins" out of those three (and those may turn out not to be so good) What games do you consider "good" wins by tOSU and Bama?

And what's wrong with shitting the bed against lesser opponents once during the year? tOSU did it in 2014. That worked out okay. Bama did it in 2015. That worked out okay. Clemson did it last year. That worked out okay. The last three years tend to indicate that might be part of a formula for a natty.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think:

Wisconsin
(4-4) Utah State 59-10
(4-3) FAU 31-14
(1-7) BYU 41-6
(4-3) Northwestern 33-24
(3-4) Nebraska 38-17
(3-4) Purdue 17-9

is legit

but

MIAMI
(Doesn't matter) Bethune Cookman 41-13
(6-1) Toledo 52-20
(4-4) Duke 31-6
(2-4) Florida State 24-20
(4-2) Ga Tech 25-24
(4-4) Syracuse 27-19

is a fraud?

smh

The B1G fanboy is going to B1G fanboy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOU LOST TO THE ONLY GOOD TEAM YOU PLAYED.

This fact seems to resonate with everyone but OSU fans. You don't just get a free pass because you've beaten up on the shit teams.
Not talking about a free pass, fella. We're not just escaping or losing to average teams like many top teams have been. We're killing them. We're playing like a top 4 team, and are as talented as anyone in the nation. It just is what it is.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about a free pass, fella. We're not just escaping or losing to average teams like many top teams have been. We're killing them. We're playing like a top 4 team, and are as talented as anyone in the nation. It just is what it is.

Yeah..that's what you're supposed to do. VT has crushed every team we're supposed to beat this year, happen to lose to a top team, and also have a win over a ranked opponent (which OSU doesn't)

Would it make sense for me to rank VT 4th, ahead of the team that beat us in our house, and just continue to say "but we beat everyone else bad!!" :noidea:

uga8766

Supreme Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BoiseStateFan27 you put TCU at number 3, but their biggest win of the season is against 6-1 Okie State....and you don't have Okie State even in the top 25?