• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Hokie potential Offensive Coach Tracker

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seemed classy at first but now its starting to sound like he is trying to say he was blindsided. These guys knew that there was a good chance they wouldnt be around next season before the end of october, which is why they were all out trying to "sell" themselves to other programs. Too bad Mikey didnt get picked up but its time to move on.

He was blindsided. I mean, who here thought that the staff was underperforming and needed a shakeup? Oh wait, the whole world did. And it was made clear in all of the media that the team needed to play a great bowl game to save the O staff's job. And instead it was one of the bowl games of the year.

Apparently O'Cain reads the paper like he reads defenses-- in FAIL MODE. Let him go back to NSCU. I'm hoping he pulls a Groh and stays in conference so that he drags an opponent down.

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeez I will never understand the defense of his performance this year. Yeah he's a great guy and I'm rooting for him but every game was not like Rutgers where he was under pressure almost every snap. Dropped passes, wrong routes (this isn't a certainty as far as I know), no running game, blah blah blah...a good QB adjusts to that and makes some plays happen anyway. At the end of the year at BC and UVA he had essentially been in the program for 4 years and still looked horrible. You've got to draw the line with the excuses somewhere

Who is defending his performance this year? He sucked. He said he sucked in so many words.

That being said, what offensive line did you see him play behind. It certainly wasn't VT's if you say he didn't face constant pressure.

The man was excellent in 2011. Anyone with any semblance of a brain and a grain of knowledge about football knows his potential and the fact that he didn't even approach performance levels we have already seen from him. Not only are you a curmudgeon, but you're :lame:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see any reason to beat up on the old (or current) coaches.

I'm sure they did their best, but it just didn't work. The job is clearly more difficult than it looks. There are many more failing or average programs than consistent winners. Oh wait, VT's program happens to be a consistent winner. But we're looking for even greater heights. We want to be a yearly national championship contender. Nothing wrong with that.

We wanted changes for years, and we finally got them. I don't see any reason to hound the departed coaches. They are welcome to go anywhere, and I wish them success.

Even more, however, I'd like to see the new staff at VT succeed. Beamer has hired some guys with potential. Each has had some significant success in their career. Yes, Auburn had a terrible year last year while Loeffler was there. They also had a terrible year the year before he arrived there. Had these coaches been NC winners from last year, why would they have left the program they were in?

I think the new coaches have a decent chance of success, but we won't know until next year, or maybe the year after that. I'm willing to give them that chance. I'm hoping most other fans do as well, but there are some fans who just whine constantly. There is no pleasing them. To me, they're worse than a 7-6 VT team. The difference is that the 7-6 VT team was putting in some effort. It would have been easy to drop some of those games at the end, but they refused to do it, so I applaud their freaking effort.

I'm also glad LT is coming back. To start a new quarterback against Alabama would not have been pretty. I'm hoping that LT can work out some of his accuracy/consistency issues this summer. I'm still in the camp that he has potential.

Fans who are complaining right now, even with fresh staff and a stellar recruiting class, I could do without. Perhaps they'd like to support another team.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the hiring's that started back in December, I am a bit baffled that Loeffler and Grimes were not picked up by some school well before we even played our bowl game....especially Grimes.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll never understand how you can complain so much about everybody associated with Virginia Tech.

It gets old. Seriously, it's time to vote you off the island.

Beamer has made some changes. LT knows he needs some improvement. Yet they did something this year. They went 7-6 and won their bowl game. When are you going to do your part and shut up about it?

Is there any possible way you don't realize that you are just a hamster on a squeaky wheel at this point? Seriously, you've used up your portion of the whine spectrum.

"I'll never understand how you can complain so much about everybody associated with Virginia Tech."

My complaints are limited to Newsome, Stinespring as OC, O'Cain, Beamer's hiring and prolonged retention of the aforementioned coaches, LB and WR recruiting, OL development and recruiting, the distribution of snaps for around 5 or so players in 2012, and 2012 LT. That's hardly everything VT

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'll never understand how you can complain so much about everybody associated with Virginia Tech."

My complaints are limited to Newsome, Stinespring as OC, O'Cain, Beamer's hiring and prolonged retention of the aforementioned coaches, LB and WR recruiting, OL development and recruiting, the distribution of snaps for around 5 or so players in 2012, and 2012 LT. That's hardly everything VT

and nearly EVERY recruit that was/has been offered....

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. I've said multiple times I like the last 2 classes.

All you did was complain about the guys we didn't get the last 2 classes and say how you would have preferred someone else over who we did get. that doesn't sound like you liked those classes much.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and nearly EVERY recruit that was/has been offered....

Wrong. I've said multiple times I like the last 2 classes.

All you did was complain about the guys we didn't get the last 2 classes and say how you would have preferred someone else over who we did get. that doesn't sound like you liked those classes much.

Stop janking up every thread. :hellno:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ this. I thought we had a fooz complaint thread somewhere around here

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well you can stop whining about all of that, because it's ALL in the past. Some of it I actually agree with, but to discuss the past is pointless. We are where we are.

I'm also pretty sure you've complained about the recent hires, and about LT returning.

You've become a constant whiner. I'm just pointing it out that everyone here thinks it's old. Get a new tune, or take this one somewhere else. You seem knowledgeable enough to make a better contribution.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LB recruiting?

2012: Clarke, Edmunds, DVD, McKinnon, possibly Ekanem
2013: Motuapuaka, Moss, Wright

:gaah:

How did they get into the situation they've been in with the whip prior to RVD? How about this year when Edwards went down and the best option was to move Taylor over? I like those guys you mentioned as long as Wright doesn't shrink anymore and they drop their fixation on Edmunds as a RB

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Basically if I don't complain about someone I like them. If I point out a recruit I like better then that means the one we got is okay but could be better. No recruiting class is perfect even on paper but the last 2 are big improvements over some other recent ones

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the three new coaches, I'm most excited about Grimes. And I keep seeing things that reinforce that. Here's the latest:
ESPN?s Hawkins has high praise for Tech?s new offensive line coach | Virginia Tech Sports

The article does say that he has aspirations of being an OC (unsurprising), so hopefully we can make him happy and get him to stay for a while. Who knows, he could be our OC in a few years.

Oh, and for those that wondered why nobody else snapped him up before we got to him...
He said Grimes had a number of schools interested in adding him after Auburn’s coaching change. “He had a bunch of choices,” Hawkins said. “People think, ‘Oh, you got fired and you have to take something.’ He had a lot of opportunities.”
I wonder if we talked to Grimes long before anyone knew. Quite possible that he recommended Loeffler rather than the other way around.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did they get into the situation they've been in with the whip prior to RVD? How about this year when Edwards went down and the best option was to move Taylor over? I like those guys you mentioned as long as Wright doesn't shrink anymore and they drop their fixation on Edmunds as a RB

I would say that with the Drew Harris situation it is safe to say that Edmunds will (and should) be given the shot at RB this spring. It would be great if we could have him at LB..but if he is as good as they say and possibly the next KJ...then he needs to stay at RB. Honestly, I am not sure about the fixation that Harris is going to be the next great thing. Give both of them a go and best man wins the job, the way it should be. I don't think that Gregory and Holmes is the answer going into this season. JC has some serious talent but may fall back into a situational/slot/3rd down guy. There is not a proven every down back on the roster right now. I think Edmunds and Harris (who isn't even on the roster) may be the only ones that could be that guy. I really wish that Derrick Green was going to put on the VT hat Saturday..

If VT can't run the ball any better than they did this year, Edmunds could make 30 tackles a game at LB..and we would still lose.

Last edited by a moderator: