• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sports Illustrated Puts Indians In The Hunt For 2015 Championship

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the Cleveland Indians. :L

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the irony of a Padres fan laughing at the Tribe - you could cut it with a knife, not unlike cake.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where I have I heard this before? Oh, yeah

SportsIllustrated1.jpg

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that (after I posted the pic). Ugh. At least they admitted to screwing the pooch back then.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! No shit, right? They actually reference that cover in the current article.

The Tribe went to the WS twice in the late '90s, after that notorious cover...hell, it's not like they're the Cubs.

Cory Snyder was one of the biggest dumbasses ever to play MLB...ignored the Tribe's coaches and listened to what Daddy told him. He had a 166/31 K/BB ratio in his epic '87 season.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it very much, I got Detroit, Chicago and Kansas City ahead of them in theCentral.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it very much, I got Detroit, Chicago and Kansas City ahead of them in theCentral.

I doubt they win the World Series too. I also doubt that two out of the three teams you've picked finish ahead of the Indians.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see Detroit winning the division again by a narrow margin. They lost Scherzer, but I do expect Verlander to be better than he was last year.

It think the White Sox, and even moreso the Royals, are going to have a hard time finishing ahead of the Tigers or Indians.

The major questions for the Indians are:

1. Can their pitching keep their 2014 2nd half momentum rolling into 2015. Post All-Star Break, the Tribe's pitching staff ranked 2nd in the AL in ERA and 3rd in MLB. They're returning a deep and solid starting rotation headed by CY winner Kluber. If youngsters Bauer, Carrasco and Salazar can take steps forward, this could be a ridiculously good rotation.
  2. With the addition of Brandon Moss, can they score more runs? I expect some regression from Brantley, but I still think he'll be a very good hitter. I'm hoping they can get more from Kipnis, Bourn and Swisher, which collectively, I don't think is unreasonable. They had a fairly average offense last year - if their pitching holds up and they can improve their offense above average, they could challenge the Tigers for the division.
  3. Improved defense? I expect Lindor, the Indians' top prospect, to be called up early in 2015. I'm not as optimistic as some about how his bat will respond to ML pitching, but his defense will be an immediate upgrade.

If some things go right and some wrong, I think they'll finish 2nd. If everything goes right (when does that happen in Cleveland?), this team could be damn good. If everything falls apart, they'll suck ass.

I'm excited for the season to start. Hopefully Tito gets them off to a hot start.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far from a forgone conclusion, but the Tribe figures to have about as much of a shot as any team. Lots of capable players on their roster. Like all such teams, however, the big question is whether they play to their capabilities.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far from a forgone conclusion, but the Tribe figures to have about as much of a shot as any team. Lots of capable players on their roster. Like all such teams, however, the big question is whether they play to their capabilities.

Absolutely. In fact, given all the crapshootidity in the MLB playoffs, I feel that it's a fool's errand to try to predict a World Series Champ before the season. It's hard enough to call the division/wild card winners.

If they can make a run at the division and/or snag a wild card berth, I'll be excited. Once in, anything can happen. Look at last year, the two teams in the World Series weren't even the best teams in their divisions, let alone in baseball.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Detroit winning the division again by a narrow margin. They lost Scherzer, but I do expect Verlander to be better than he was last year.

It think the White Sox, and even moreso the Royals, are going to have a hard time finishing ahead of the Tigers or Indians.

The major questions for the Indians are:

1. Can their pitching keep their 2014 2nd half momentum rolling into 2015. Post All-Star Break, the Tribe's pitching staff ranked 2nd in the AL in ERA and 3rd in MLB. They're returning a deep and solid starting rotation headed by CY winner Kluber. If youngsters Bauer, Carrasco and Salazar can take steps forward, this could be a ridiculously good rotation.
  2. With the addition of Brandon Moss, can they score more runs? I expect some regression from Brantley, but I still think he'll be a very good hitter. I'm hoping they can get more from Kipnis, Bourn and Swisher, which collectively, I don't think is unreasonable. They had a fairly average offense last year - if their pitching holds up and they can improve their offense above average, they could challenge the Tigers for the division.
  3. Improved defense? I expect Lindor, the Indians' top prospect, to be called up early in 2015. I'm not as optimistic as some about how his bat will respond to ML pitching, but his defense will be an immediate upgrade.

If some things go right and some wrong, I think they'll finish 2nd. If everything goes right (when does that happen in Cleveland?), this team could be damn good. If everything falls apart, they'll suck ass.

I'm excited for the season to start. Hopefully Tito gets them off to a hot start.
Moss was playing through a torn labrum in the 2nd half, which would explain his horrendous 2nd half. Prior to that, he was one of the better hitters in the AL.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have the Indians winning the division... But I still see the teams in the AL West to be the best teams in the AL... But Cleveland is not a bad choice, especially if their young talented rotation progresses this season...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss was playing through a torn labrum in the 2nd half, which would explain his horrendous 2nd half. Prior to that, he was one of the better hitters in the AL.

True that. His slash line from June 1, 2012 to July 1, 2014, was .268/.348/.584/.931. That's some serious hitting. My concern is his durability.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have the Indians winning the division... But I still see the teams in the AL West to be the best teams in the AL... But Cleveland is not a bad choice, especially if their young talented rotation progresses this season...

Could just be semantics, but I'm not sure the AL west has "the best teams in the AL." I think they have the best team in the AL, and that the West is easily the best division in the AL, but I don't think the top two or three teams from the AL are all in the West.

Of course, all of this comes with the obligatory "on paper" caveat.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys are awesome. Go Tribe!!

th

I have a Ricky Vaughn bobblehead. It's one of my favorites because I know he'll never be a Red Sox, or a Yankee, or a Dodger, or whatever.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could just be semantics, but I'm not sure the AL west has "the best teams in the AL." I think they have the best team in the AL, and that the West is easily the best division in the AL. Of course, all of this comes with the obligatory "on paper" caveat.

I like seattle a lot too... Angels and Seattle I see to be the 2 best teams in the AL...