• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I had my best start ever yesterday...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over this summer I have had a regular foursome that I play with almost every weekend, one of the guys is pretty good, regularly in the 70's, I am next in the group reg in the 80's, and our other 2 are 90-100 range. It has been fun because we have been playing a different course almost every week, I am sure it costs me some strokes over my old routine, playing a couple different course regularly, but we have played some pretty nice semi-private tracks, yesterday we played a course in New Smyrna Beach, Turnbull, it was very nice, paspalum greens, well maintained, friendly staff.

9 fairways, 6 greens in regulation, wound up with an 87 argh.

Did hit a nice 3 hybrid about 195 to the green, shot of the day for me.

Did you see the Washington State game on Saturday? Good fucking lord! What has happened to our boys? It can't be all Lane Kiffin.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over this summer I have had a regular foursome that I play with almost every weekend, one of the guys is pretty good, regularly in the 70's, I am next in the group reg in the 80's, and our other 2 are 90-100 range. It has been fun because we have been playing a different course almost every week, I am sure it costs me some strokes over my old routine, playing a couple different course regularly, but we have played some pretty nice semi-private tracks, yesterday we played a course in New Smyrna Beach, Turnbull, it was very nice, paspalum greens, well maintained, friendly staff.

9 fairways, 6 greens in regulation, wound up with an 87 argh.

Did hit a nice 3 hybrid about 195 to the green, shot of the day for me.

I've been doing the same thing...revisited several tracks I haven't played in a few years and my scores have been up and down...but ironic my low for the year (79) was on a track I hadn't played in a while.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been doing the same thing...revisited several tracks I haven't played in a few years and my scores have been up and down...but ironic my low for the year (79) was on a track I hadn't played in a while.

I am the opposite. I always seem to score lower on a first time course than I do those I play more often.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the opposite. I always seem to score lower on a first time course than I do those I play more often.

In terms of the low round for the year...I guess it applies to me as well.

On my (home) track...I can make a few more mistakes and still post something sub 90...I take less risks on tracks I don't know well thus fewer mistakes...why can't I do that all the time?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what is so frustrating about golf.

It has to be one of the most (if not the most) frustrating sport. one little hitch in your swing, a slight pick up on of your body and your ball goes way off course!

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once read that golf is one of the few things where you can actually get worse the more you practice

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once read that golf is one of the few things where you can actually get worse the more you practice

Kinda true...you certainly will stall out.

Like water finds the path of least resistance...golf is the same way in a sense..lol...it exposes your weakest points...personal experience example...if you can't get out of the 90s...chances are you're not driving it in play enough...whatever that flaw is will stay a flaw until corrected...your driving could and probably will get worse practicing the same flawed swing.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Washington State game on Saturday? Good fucking lord! What has happened to our boys? It can't be all Lane Kiffin.

Lane is gone now, good riddance, I think someone more competent must be in the wings.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda true...you certainly will stall out.

Like water finds the path of least resistance...golf is the same way in a sense..lol...it exposes your weakest points...personal experience example...if you can't get out of the 90s...chances are you're not driving it in play enough...whatever that flaw is will stay a flaw until corrected...your driving could and probably will get worse practicing the same flawed swing.

I agree, I find when I practice, it is best when I work my clubs 3-5 shots each 2 reps, then go to the sand trap and practice green, it's the KISS method, keep it simple stupid.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have played Turtle Creek 4-5 times, played a round Thu from the middle tees, 69.4 rating, the best 9 holes I played in a several years, 38 on the front, couldn't quite keep it up , wound up with an 82, but I was pretty happy with 3 birds on the front.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I find when I practice, it is best when I work my clubs 3-5 shots each 2 reps, then go to the sand trap and practice green, it's the KISS method, keep it simple stupid.

Exactly...I bought some new irons a couple of weeks ago. I've put in some range time lately to get used to them so the shorter irons (8 thru the wedges) I've hit a lot of balls, but never more than 3 shots with one club then move to the next....go chip and pitch for a while...come back and finish up.

I was going to start a thread on practicing but never got around to it...one short game practice I find that really works is my little up and down game a pro taught me. After I've worked on my short game...put down 5 balls, 5 different locations, chip/pitch and putt out...record how many you get up and down.

Once you've done it enough times, you'll start to see which shots you really should just be trying to make bogey and other ones that you get U&D a pretty high % of the time. Worse case you find out out what REALLY needs the most work if your time is limited...no sense hitting 20 or 30 bump n run shots if you're not making 4-5' putts.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished winning my club's three-day Match Play tournament and speaking of best days ever, on day two I can't remember ever hitting the ball so solidly with so much consistency. Had my opponent 6 down after 7 holes before I let off the gas and beat him 7 and 6. The very next day though I had to go all the way to 18 for a one up win. Still bugs me how the swing comes and goes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished winning my club's three-day Match Play tournament and speaking of best days ever, on day two I can't remember ever hitting the ball so solidly with so much consistency. Had my opponent 6 down after 7 holes before I let off the gas and beat him 7 and 6. The very next day though I had to go all the way to 18 for a one up win. Still bugs me how the swing comes and goes.

Were you just lights out, or the opponent help bury himself? Normally I play better in multi-day events as the event progresses, but from week to week, you never know sometimes.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you just lights out, or the opponent help bury himself? Normally I play better in multi-day events as the event progresses, but from week to week, you never know sometimes.

4 birdies and 3 pars through 7. Rock solid iron shots that you couldn't even feel hit the club face and some pretty big drives. Didn't miss a fairway and only missed one green all day. Then again it only went 12 holes before he was eliminated.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 birdies and 3 pars through 7. Rock solid iron shots that you couldn't even feel hit the club face and some pretty big drives. Didn't miss a fairway and only missed one green all day. Then again it only went 12 holes before he was eliminated.

Lights out...opponent could've been maybe 1 or 2 over thru 7 getting trounced.

I used to play in more tourney golf events...one year I played in a year long tour in the C flight (10-15 index) I was paired with 2 guys playing their 1st tournament and this one was like my 5th or 6th...neither guy broke a 100 actual strokes. I shot a 89 or something and didn't place. The winner shot a 80

A few weeks later I was paired with one of the guys again, and he won the flight by a shot with an 82...12 shots better.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lights out...opponent could've been maybe 1 or 2 over thru 7 getting trounced.

I used to play in more tourney golf events...one year I played in a year long tour in the C flight (10-15 index) I was paired with 2 guys playing their 1st tournament and this one was like my 5th or 6th...neither guy broke a 100 actual strokes. I shot a 89 or something and didn't place. The winner shot a 80

A few weeks later I was paired with one of the guys again, and he won the flight by a shot with an 82...12 shots better.

I played in the championship flight which was 5 handicap and under but the guy who won the D flight claimed a 29 handicap and was 4 over when he closed out his opponent on #15. Total sandbagger. He wins his flight in events all the time. I felt a little bad for him though because when he was being presented his gift certificate for winning his flight everyone all at once turned their back on the proceedings. He actually took his certificate and then yelled "fuck all of you" as he walked away.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played a round yesterday, a good warmup for a Rotary tournament I am playing tomorrow, shot a 78 a the local muni, another best round for me, on a course I know very well, and left 2 birdie putts just short, the greens were a little shaggy so, not a major faux pas.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played a round yesterday, a good warmup for a Rotary tournament I am playing tomorrow, shot a 78 a the local muni, another best round for me, on a course I know very well, and left 2 birdie putts just short, the greens were a little shaggy so, not a major faux pas.

Well done! Any score that begins with a 7 means you hit some pretty good shots.