• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I had my best start ever yesterday...

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The course I played is very difficult, nearly a 76 course rating. Here was my start:

1) Birdie
2) Birdie
3) Birdie
4) Birdie

Can't remember ever starting that well before. So then I brilliantly start thinking about the course record (yes, after 4 holes). Scrubbed my way in for a 75. Didn't make another birdie the rest of the round.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The course I played is very difficult, nearly a 76 course rating. Here was my start:

1) Birdie
2) Birdie
3) Birdie
4) Birdie

Can't remember ever starting that well before. So then I brilliantly start thinking about the course record (yes, after 4 holes). Scrubbed my way in for a 75. Didn't make another birdie the rest of the round.

That happens a lot and people will always advise you to think one shot at a time but that is much easier said than done.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Birdie
2) Birdie
3) Birdie
4) Birdie

Amazing start...pretty easy to get ahead of yourself. 76 rating is off the charts hard btw...75 ain't bad.

Golf is crazy...2 weeks ago I shot 100, took a 9 on the 1st hole, a triple on the next, just couldn't do anything right, my highest score this year by 6 shots...played on Sat. and shot 79...my low this year...go figure.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing start...pretty easy to get ahead of yourself. 76 rating is off the charts hard btw...75 ain't bad.

Golf is crazy...2 weeks ago I shot 100, took a 9 on the 1st hole, a triple on the next, just couldn't do anything right, my highest score this year by 6 shots...played on Sat. and shot 79...my low this year...go figure.

That's what is so frustrating about golf.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the actual rating is 75.3. Putts made on the first 3 holes were from 8 feet, 20 feet, and 4 feet. I was thrilled, but the 4th hole is one of the toughest holes on the course. I would have been more than happy to just take par and move on. However, I canned a 50 foot curler with about 6 feet of break. I really thought it was going to be my day. Oh well.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always start off hot then end it kind of ugly whether I'm drinking or sober.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always start off hot then end it kind of ugly whether I'm drinking or sober.

You and about a million other guys. You start thinking about what could go wrong instead of thinking about how low you could go.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and about a million other guys. You start thinking about what could go wrong instead of thinking about how low you could go.

I think it's because at some point in the round I get loose and eventually near the end I lose focus on the fundamentals. Often I'll catch myself afterwards wondering why I was putting more thought into pin position than sound mechanics. Stupid stuff ya know.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's because at some point in the round I get loose and eventually near the end I lose focus on the fundamentals. Often I'll catch myself afterwards wondering why I was putting more thought into pin position than sound mechanics. Stupid stuff ya know.

Yep. Maintaining focus for an entire 18 holes is nearly impossible for me these days. I'm out to enjoy the round not grind my way through 18 holes. If I want a four-hour grind, I'll go back to work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm no expert for certain, but I think you're doing the right thing focusing on where you are trying to put the ball over how you're getting it there. Mechanics...KISS theory is generally the best for any level of play...1 or 2 swing thoughts at most and let it rip.

I had to get off the range some and start playing more because I was constantly facing shots that really don't exist on the range. My biggest mechanic focus out there is trying to keep the same tempo.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, everyone has their own "Zone." It's rare, but when you find it, you just know. I was in the zone those first 4 holes. The hole looked like it was 2 feet wide, and every shot felt like it was teed up in the fairway. It was fun. Now back to topic:

I have been in that zone before, but have never been able to hold it for a full 18 holes. 9 holes on a few occasions, less on others, I think the most may have been about 12 holes. Ya just lose it at some point, and when you do it's very difficult to even play decent golf the rest of the round.

It's funny, my best round ever - I was not in that zone even 1 single hole.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you all are saying. This summer, I played the same course 7 times. Each time I played the front, I shot 43. I couldn't do any better or worse. As for the back side, I was all over the course. LOL!

I would also start off well, even par for the first 5 - 6 holes only to shot a flippin 43. :L

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you all are saying. This summer, I played the same course 7 times. Each time I played the front, I shot 43. I couldn't do any better or worse. As for the back side, I was all over the course. LOL!

I would also start off well, even par for the first 5 - 6 holes only to shot a flippin 43. :L

Sounds like you might be talking yourself into your poor play. It sounds simple, but try telling yourself what you want to do on a particular shot rather than what you don't want to do. It often works; more times than you would think.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no expert for certain, but I think you're doing the right thing focusing on where you are trying to put the ball over how you're getting it there. Mechanics...KISS theory is generally the best for any level of play...1 or 2 swing thoughts at most and let it rip.

I had to get off the range some and start playing more because I was constantly facing shots that really don't exist on the range. My biggest mechanic focus out there is trying to keep the same tempo.

That's it though. You need a different game plan for each shot depending on your position. I guess I get too caught up in the battle plan sometimes. It could be that hill the ball stopped at and the ball position within my stance I feel like I need, it could be the difference of a 80% and 90% swing, maybe I need to open the face up so much with a wedge, etc. Once that focus is on those subtle nuances those other quirks within your game tend to rear their ugly head. Maybe it's because I'm really competitive and want to do better but at the same time I don't get enough reps in at the course as I used to these days (but that's kind of an excuse for underperforming).

I try to mold my shot after Davis Love III. It actually helps a lot to vision his swing beforehand. That might sound kind of weird though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it though. You need a different game plan for each shot depending on your position. I guess I get too caught up in the battle plan sometimes. It could be that hill the ball stopped at and the ball position within my stance I feel like I need, it could be the difference of a 80% and 90% swing, maybe I need to open the face up so much with a wedge, etc. Once that focus is on those subtle nuances those other quirks within your game tend to rear their ugly head. Maybe it's because I'm really competitive and want to do better but at the same time I don't get enough reps in at the course as I used to these days (but that's kind of an excuse for underperforming).

I try to mold my shot after Davis Love III. It actually helps a lot to vision his swing beforehand. That might sound kind of weird though.

Understandable...I tend to get a little more mechanical when it's a tough lie...a few more practice swings mostly trying to establish a balanced swing. The hardest part for me is recalibrating the game plan after I've hit a so so shot. Understanding bogey is your friend sometimes.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great start for you

me, I had 22 after the first 4 holes 3 OB hits and a shitful of putts

almost threw my clubs in the pond

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over this summer I have had a regular foursome that I play with almost every weekend, one of the guys is pretty good, regularly in the 70's, I am next in the group reg in the 80's, and our other 2 are 90-100 range. It has been fun because we have been playing a different course almost every week, I am sure it costs me some strokes over my old routine, playing a couple different course regularly, but we have played some pretty nice semi-private tracks, yesterday we played a course in New Smyrna Beach, Turnbull, it was very nice, paspalum greens, well maintained, friendly staff.

9 fairways, 6 greens in regulation, wound up with an 87 argh.

Did hit a nice 3 hybrid about 195 to the green, shot of the day for me.