• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how many NFL teams have NFL-level quarterbacks?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that so isnt true. Today's QB's tower over what we saw 20-45 years ago. It's not even close.

If you have NFL Network, watch some of the old replays of the games from awhile back. The passing games are laughable compared to today.

And people flat out only remember the top QB's from 20 years ago. The Favre's, Manning's, McNairs. They forget that the rest of the league is made up of Rodney Peete's, Joey Harrigton's, Jay Fielder's, ect, ect.

Remember the days where teams literally started young QB's no matter how bad for at least 2 or 3 full seasons just to make sure they werent going to develop?

Go look at Joey Harrington's stats from 20 years ago. Despite always sucking, he started 4 full years in Detroit because he was a top draft pick. And then after that he still started the majority of the game for the Dolphins one season and the Falcons the next because people were still looking at his college tape and thinking he has a chance to develop. That would never happen today.
All of them.

The level of QB play is just a lot better than it used to be, imo.

I'm not sure what it was that I thought you said. But I was disagreeing with you even though you were making the same point I was.

I have to stop boozing in the morning.

Drunk Happy Hour GIF by Paramount+

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following along and for my clarification.
Can you guys define elite as it relates to NFL QB play?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, you CAN have more than half be elite
ok, I guess you CAN use it that way but I don't think it accomplishes anything in the context of these qb discussions. I'm just happy to be in the elite group of non serial killers. (at least I think I am, what's the cutoff-3,4?)

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, I guess you CAN use it that way but I don't think it accomplishes anything in the context of these qb discussions. I'm just happy to be in the elite group of non serial killers. (at least I think I am, what's the cutoff-3,4?)
no idea what you are saying

gonna just walk away from this one...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no idea what you are saying

gonna just walk away from this one...
I'm just saying elite usually refers to a small group.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying elite usually refers to a small group.
so who do you consider an "elite QB" in the NFL?

the group can be as big or small as you want.

by definition, any QB that is currently playing in the NFL is an "NFL level QB"...do you agree with that?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB’s have never had it easier in the NFL…

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL
Didn't think the two eagle fans knew but thought for sure the Vikings fan could take a shot

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them.

The level of QB play is just a lot better than it used to be, imo.
Moose,
Do you factor the larger number of passes per game now, and factor more plays per game back in the day?

How does 7 on 7 starting in Jr. High, 10-month training, and all the QB camps factor today?
Does comparing the yearly stats clearly show todays QB's rule?
Is the position of QB any different than the other positions when comparing yesteryear to today?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following along and for my clarification.
Can you guys define elite as it relates to NFL QB play?
I would have said somewhere around 10% of starters, but I guess for other people it could be 1%, 25%, or anywhere in-between. I don't think there has to be a specific number, and if there were a big enough percentage of players at the top who were all of a similar standard then none of them would be elite.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have said somewhere around 10% of starters, but I guess for other people it could be 1%, 25%, or anywhere in-between. I don't think there has to be a specific number, and if there were a big enough percentage of players at the top who were all of a similar standard then none of them would be elite.
Thanks Fast!
I kinda moved the post from NFL level (which is a lacking question) to elite NFL QB. I certainly think NFL QB elite label demands multiple playoff trips with a large amount of playoff success. Staubach never ruled stat wise when he played but he played well in many elite games. He made great decisions at key moments, Aikman too. I think they would have trained as today's QB's do if they played today, and frankly, woulda been a whole lot better stat wise today. The key has to be winning, not so much championships, but consistent winning performances at the most difficult position in all of team sports.

ELITE...we stumbled into a great topic here. Not for opinions based on opinion fans.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so who do you consider an "elite QB" in the NFL?

the group can be as big or small as you want.

by definition, any QB that is currently playing in the NFL is an "NFL level QB"...do you agree with that?
yes I agree with that

As for who I consider elite that's a tough question because it's such a vague question unless you put some kind of context with it. Like there is an elite group of qbs that have won the superbowl. Or an elite group that have won MVPs. But to just say who is an "elite" QB in the NFL is open to a lot of interpretation, especially since they are all at different stages in their career. Even if we are judging them subjectively no one ever really defines what makes a qb elite.
But just so I can make a list, I'll say the elite list of QBs who I'd like to have to start a franchise today would be
Mahomes
Allen
Herbert

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I agree with that

As for who I consider elite that's a tough question because it's such a vague question unless you put some kind of context with it. Like there is an elite group of qbs that have won the superbowl. Or an elite group that have won MVPs. But to just say who is an "elite" QB in the NFL is open to a lot of interpretation, especially since they are all at different stages in their career. Even if we are judging them subjectively no one ever really defines what makes a qb elite.
But just so I can make a list, I'll say the elite list of QBs who I'd like to have to start a franchise today would be
Mahomes
Allen
Herbert
I feel like all those things go into being "elite"

does that make Flacco "elite"? He has won SBs...however I no longer put him in the elite category, if he ever was in there.

I agree with your 3...and maybe Rodgers and Brady are falling out of it, but they are still very good...so is Russ Wilson...and I would put them as elite as well.

and Stafford after how he did last season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Fast!
I kinda moved the post from NFL level (which is a lacking question) to elite NFL QB. I certainly think NFL QB elite label demands multiple playoff trips with a large amount of playoff success. Staubach never ruled stat wise when he played but he played well in many elite games. He made great decisions at key moments, Aikman too. I think they would have trained as today's QB's do if they played today, and frankly, woulda been a whole lot better stat wise today. The key has to be winning, not so much championships, but consistent winning performances at the most difficult position in all of team sports.

ELITE...we stumbled into a great topic here. Not for opinions based on opinion fans.
I wouldn't say team success was necessary for an individual player to be elite. Prior to the 2021 season I had Watson as elite or on the borderline. I had Herbert pegged as a top 6 QB 1 game into his 2nd season. He's borderline elite going into year 3. Mahomes was elite after his 2nd season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like all those things go into being "elite"

does that make Flacco "elite"? He has won SBs...however I no longer put him in the elite category, if he ever was in there.

I agree with your 3...and maybe Rodgers and Brady are falling out of it, but they are still very good...so is Russ Wilson...and I would put them as elite as well.

and Stafford after how he did last season.
yeah that's what I'm saying about the term "elite" -no one ever gives the criteria. Flacco is definitely part of the elite group of superbowl winners because he has the rings to prove it. But my original list was Mahomes, Allen ,Brady, Rodgers, Wilson. But if I'm starting a franchise I like the first two because they will hopefully be able to play a few more years. (not sure if I did the right thing throwing Herbert in there because he is less proven but he's also younger so I think he's a good bet)

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say team success was necessary for an individual player to be elite. Prior to the 2021 season I had Watson as elite or on the borderline. I had Herbert pegged as a top 6 QB 1 game into his 2nd season. He's borderline elite going into year 3. Mahomes was elite after his 2nd season.
I don't think elite is earned in a couple of real good seasons. IMO, it must be sustained. I think team success factors greatly for this position in THIS league. An Archie Manning is a rare exception to me.

Mahomes is coming the others you mentioned are good players. I'm not sure Watson is a good passer, but elite athlete is much different than NFL elite QB

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco was never elite. Flacco had very short periods when he was very good and the team was very successful.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerguson could spin it with anyone back in the day. When it was all said and done, his career was not elite to me