• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Badgers FIRE Bo Ryan?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely they should fire him. I am a Marquette fan and we could use a big name coach.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have bitten on that, except every post you ever make about the Badgers is in a negative light. You're a troll, fake Wisconsin fan.

The ironic thing is the only time I've dealed with him was early this season and he was an obnoxious homer lol

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ironic thing is the only time I've dealed with him was early this season and he was an obnoxious homer lol

yup, he was the worst homer on this board....john0 included

Also I think Bo should be fired right now. You don't need him tomorrow! Better chance of winning without him!!

pretty pleaaaaase

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be hilarious is if the Badgers win it all. :laugh3:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think, Bo, should they fire you?

flamecoach2.gif

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's look at it...

Bo Ryan Era
2014 - 29-7 (no worse than Elite Eight)
2013 - 23-12 (1st Round loss)
2012 - 26-10 (Sweet 16)
2011 - 25-9 (Sweet 16)
2010 - 24-9 (2nd Round)
2009 - 20-13 (2nd Round)
2008 - 31-5 (Sweet 16)
2007 - 30-6 (2nd Round)
2006 - 19-12 (1st Round)
2005 - 25-9 (Elite Eight)
2004 - 25-7 (2nd Round)
2003 - 24-8 (Sweet 16)
2002 - 18-12 (2nd Round)

Under Brad Soderberg (took over essentially a Dick Bennett Final Four team)
2001 - 18-11 (1st Round)

Under Dick Bennett
2000 - 22-14 (Final Four)
1999 - 22-10 (1st Round)

What do the results tell us? They tell us that Wisconsin started getting pretty good under Dick Bennett, had a one-year blunder with Brad Soderberg, and have stayed a perennial Big Ten power under Bo Ryan. Sure, they haven't gotten to the Final Four with him yet, but they've come pretty damn close. I felt they had a great opportunity in 2005, but they unfortunately were on the wrong side of the bracket. They ran into a buzz saw North Carolina team that had multiple NBA players and even that Wisconsin team gave UNC everything they could ask for in regards to competition. They sure gave them a helluva better game than Michigan State did in the Final Four.

To point out the obvious, you can't expect Wisconsin to put up Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Florida, UCONN, Louisville, Michigan State results every year. When it came to those programs, they got there because they had a good run here and there and as a result, they started winning recruiting battles and became college hoops hotbeds. Wisconsin, while they have good players, rarely lands NBA caliber talent, so it takes "schemes" to pull it off. I mean, let's look at the National Champion. You know how many times since 1990 a team outside of those Top 10 programs I listed won a NC? Four. UNLV in 1990, Arkansas in 1994, UCLA in 1995, and Maryland in 2002.

What's the point I'm making with all this? Have some patience. Wisconsin would more than likely not have as strong of results without Bo Ryan. The reason being is it isn't a college hoops hotbed. They won't be able to recruit 5 star recruits based solely on name, they need to put themselves on the map first. One thing I can say though? It's pretty obvious that they are starting to get some top tier talent at Wisconsin now. Sam Dekker was a pretty big name, Traevon Jackson was a pretty big pedigree, and this year's freshman class of Bronson Koenig and Nigel Hayes are showing that they are going to be future stars as well. Wisconsin is slowly but surely getting more talented players and that's a big reason why they are making this great tourney run now. If they can continue this sort of success, more big name recruits will likely consider Wisconsin.

So to answer the OP's question...no.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's how Berk works, and how he's been doing it for what, 15 years now? The only difference is now he isn't using 15 sign-in characters a day like on ESPN. He's probably down to 3-4. This is pretty laid back for Berk. His approach is also ramped-back due to the moderation here.

He likes to start out as a "reasonable" fan and devolve or a ridiculous super-fan who eventually loses it and mocks his supposed home team. I know all this because it's been going on so relentlessly for so long. Just crazy. And he also will set up opposing team fanbases with a fake character (not sure if people know that dude or not, but I believe Berk is probably a certain Nebraska character as well - totally fits the m.o.). Some of the characters have been funny over the years, but usually he's a major annoyance and nothing more.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they may fire him now? Right?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Oh, Bo is on the hot seat again.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Wisconsin , huge win.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's had excellent success in the Big-10 at around .710 winning % in the Big Ten with multiple titles, coach of the year, etc. However if he loses to the Ducks this year it will mark the 6th time he's lost to a lower seed in the tournament. He's never beaten a higher ranked and really only had one decent outing in the tournament when he reached the elite 8. I'm tired of both our football and basketball program having all this divisional success but nothing to show for it at the end of the year. It's like the season was a complete waste of time as I almost expect to be upset every year now.

:L:L:L

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To point out the obvious, you can't expect Wisconsin to put up Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Florida, UCONN, Louisville, Michigan State results every year. When it came to those programs, they got there because they had a good run here and there and as a result, they started winning recruiting battles and became college hoops hotbeds. Wisconsin, while they have good players, rarely lands NBA caliber talent, so it takes "schemes" to pull it off. I mean, let's look at the National Champion. You know how many times since 1990 a team outside of those Top 10 programs I listed won a NC? Four. UNLV in 1990, Arkansas in 1994, UCLA in 1995, and Maryland in 2002.

It's a great point. When Villanova made the Final 4, I celebrated like we won the NC. I barely cared when UNC blew our doors out. Just like some schools celebrate making the tourney like they won the NC.

I wonder if Badger fans think they can win the thing, or if they even care?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was this thread made when Wisconsin was down by 8 to American in the 1st rd with 12 minutes left in the first half?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your reasoning behind calling me a homer was because I believed since the Badgers had the #1 OOC, played in the toughest conference and were 16-0 deserved to be #1. WOW, so far AZ, Cuse and the Big Ten have done nothing but prove my reasoning was sound. What a complete homer I was to have the audacity to believe UW should be ranked #1.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's the point I'm making with all this? Have some patience. Wisconsin would more than likely not have as strong of results without Bo Ryan. The reason being is it isn't a college hoops hotbed. They won't be able to recruit 5 star recruits based solely on name, they need to put themselves on the map first. One thing I can say though? It's pretty obvious that they are starting to get some top tier talent at Wisconsin now. Sam Dekker was a pretty big name, Traevon Jackson was a pretty big pedigree, and this year's freshman class of Bronson Koenig and Nigel Hayes are showing that they are going to be future stars as well. Wisconsin is slowly but surely getting more talented players and that's a big reason why they are making this great tourney run now. If they can continue this sort of success, more big name recruits will likely consider Wisconsin.

So to answer the OP's question...no.[/QUOTE]

They can put themselves on the map the same way Duke and Gonzaga's coaches have turned their programs from almost irrelevant to elite status in less than a decade. Bo has had 5 NBA recruits during his time with the Badgers and currently has two more potential (1st rounders) on his team now in Frank and Decker and Koenig/Hayes could potentially be there as well. I'm proud that Bo finally loosened the reins on the offense this year and it's payed major dividends and will open the eyes of potential recruits as majority don't desire to join a low scoring grind it out defensive minded team (no matter how efficient). Hopefully, Tony Bennett will come back to UW once Bo hangs it up in several years. I believe he can build on Bo's success as Bo did with Dick Bennet.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great point. When Villanova made the Final 4, I celebrated like we won the NC. I barely cared when UNC blew our doors out. Just like some schools celebrate making the tourney like they won the NC.

I wonder if Badger fans think they can win the thing, or if they even care?

I mean, we've already beaten the co-favorites (MSU and Florida), and we beat our likely semifinal opponent in their house. I think we probably have a 75% chance of winning the semi game, and a 40% chance of winning the title if we get there. That would give us a 30% chance of winning the title. I absolutely think we can do it, and I will certainly be sad if we lose.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, we've already beaten the co-favorites (MSU and Florida), and we beat our likely semifinal opponent in their house. I think we probably have a 75% chance of winning the semi game, and a 40% chance of winning the title if we get there. That would give us a 30% chance of winning the title. I absolutely think we can do it, and I will certainly be sad if we lose.

UW will be playing Kentucky. Mich has no answer for their big rotation, and you'll see that this afternoon.

As far a Bo being fired, it's not going to happen. He'll retire there, that is what it is...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops thought the other thread was this one.

What a great suggestion!