• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas St
@Oregon
Northern Illinois
Rutgers
@Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Minnesota
@ Penn State
Iowa

At best I see 10-2. At worst I see 5-7

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sat, Sept 9 @ Oregon 14.4% - This one is interesting to me, in that it’s that low of a percentage. It’s not like Oregon is bad, but you’re installing a new Head Coach that’s not been able to keep off-field issues from seeping in. Plus, there’s going to be changes in both sides of the ball.

Sat, Oct 7 vs Wisconsin 17.4% - So, at home Nebraska is going to lose that game 4 out of 5 times? I get Alex Hornibrook coming back and such, but Wisconsin is going to have another Defensive Coordinator to break in. I can see Nebraska a dog, but not that bad, but maybe I’m missing something here?

Sat, Nov 4 vs Northwestern 37.2% - A home dog vs. Northwestern that can’t be consistent already? Who knows what Wildcats team you get. Of course, if not for the Hail Mary to Westerkamp, the Wildcats would be undefeated in Lincoln.

Sat, Nov 11 @ Minnesota 40.6% - The PJ Fleck effect? I dunno, he’s going to have to mesh a lot of things for Nebraska to be defeated, I think. Mitch Leidner isn’t there to save him, so who knows what they will go to.

Sat, Nov 18 @ Penn State 7.3% - Another game I get the reasoning for, but 7% seems kind of really low, no?

Fri, Nov 24 vs Iowa 42.9% - New OC, new starting QB for Iowa, and the game is in Lincoln. So Iowa is almost a 60% favorite. Sure.
These ones seem particularly egregious. Not saying we can't lose any of those games but saying we have ~40% chance or less of beating Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Penn State AND Iowa is kind of absurd. We lost to Wisconsin on the road in OT, we beat Minnesota, Northwestern and Oregon, I just don't see us having that little of a chance in any of those games.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better defense and a more accurate QB. I think we lose to osu either in the big ten championship game or regular season.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better defense and a more accurate QB. I think we lose to osu either in the big ten championship game or regular season.
We could easily lose to them both places. That was not one of the games I really had a problem with the prediction. We have to prove we can hang with them first. Everyone else on the list we have hung with outside of PSU, and we haven't played them in a while.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU did catch lightning in a bottle last season. So I am concerned about them. I'm just wondering how much better we could be when our receivers are able to catch passes in stride. But from what I'm hearing our running game is not clicking. PSU running game is very strong. I'm hoping for an instant improvement with Diakos defense. That with a more accurate quarterback I think will win us two games where last year with Tommy Armstrong and Mark Banker we would have lost.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-1, 10-2, (7-5 wheels have completely fallen off the wagon and so have I at that point)

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas St
@Oregon
Northern Illinois
Rutgers
@Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Minnesota
@ Penn State
Iowa

At best I see 10-2. At worst I see 5-7
Curious what are the two we can't beat?

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is one team on our schedule we can't beat. With that said,

Oregon scares me. A lot of experience coming back and a coach I am guessing will turn it around. But we got them game two of the year also. I think this one all depends on Diaco.

All the B1G perennials we have at home and they have all shown they can be beat, just not by us. That is what has to change this year if Riley is going to earn his stripes here.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious what are the two we can't beat?

Well, I would say Ohio State, and then take your pick between Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa and Oregon. I wouldn't say "we can't beat them" but the realist in me says that even BEST case scenario there are two losses in those 5 games. With a new quarterback and an entirely new defensive scheme...

And that's with me discrediting Northwestern who is always a giant pain in the ass. Can almost say the same for Minnesota on the road.

In a nutshell: I don't have a fucking clue.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being that this thread was for the 5-7 campaign that became 6-7, I am pretty sure I said he will be employed through the 2017 season. Mostly because Pelini is still being paid $1,500,000 to not coach at Nebraska.

Under Riley, Nebraska's Big Ten record is 8-9

Riley must improve his B1G record. Losing to Purdue and Illinois and being 0-2 v Iowa and 0-2 vs Wisconsin is not good.

I will wait for the Spring Game to give an assessment, but at this point mine is way worse than anyone else's so far. My best is 8-4 and my worst is 4-8.

Nebraska lost something like 95% of the offense with Armstrong, Westerkamp, Newby, Carter, Reilly, all graduating or using up their eligibility.

New QB, unknown RB, new DC, it is going to be exciting.

BTW, last year I believe I said 7-5 and I was wrong by a lot.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being that this thread was for the 5-7 campaign that became 6-7, I am pretty sure I said he will be employed through the 2017 season. Mostly because Pelini is still being paid $1,500,000 to not coach at Nebraska.

Riley must improve his B1G record. Losing to Purdue and Illinois and being 0-2 v Iowa and 0-2 vs Wisconsin is not good.

I will wait for the Spring Game to give an assessment, but at this point mine is way worse than anyone else's so far. My best is 8-4 and my worst is 4-8.

Nebraska lost something like 95% of the offense with Armstrong, Westerkamp, Newby, Carter, Reilly, all graduating or using up their eligibility.

Ok I don't get this. Is it theoretically possible to go 4-8? Yes. But name me 8 REALISTIC losses. Most of our games are tossups at worst (outside OSU and MAYBE Penn State if they weren't a fluke last year). People saying 4-8 are just as unrealistic and overly pessimistic as people saying 12-0 are unrealistic and overly optimistic.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell I beat six eggs this morning alone, that's right fellers, masterbeater

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I don't get this. Is it theoretically possible to go 4-8? Yes. But name me 8 REALISTIC losses. Most of our games are tossups at worst (outside OSU and MAYBE Penn State if they weren't a fluke last year). People saying 4-8 are just as unrealistic and overly pessimistic as people saying 12-0 are unrealistic and overly optimistic.

For once we agree on something.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Riley lost three road games in 2015 and Riley lost three road games in 2016.

Four losses

Oregon road game, Riley's arch nemesis

Wisconsin Riley is 0-2 against Wisconsin

Ohio State weren't you at this game last year?

Penn State a road game, Nebraska was 0-3 last year against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa all quality teams and all were on the road. Penn State is a quality team.

Other losses

Iowa Riley is 0-2 against Iowa

Northwestern this game is always tough for Nebraska. Fitzgerald gets them ready for Nebraska

Minnesota Nebraska lost to Minnesota in 2014 in Lincoln. Different coaches now, different teams. PJ Fleck could have them on a roll, and if Nebraska is beat up by Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Northwestern.....

Illinois and Purdue in 2015 Riley was able to lose in both of those environments.

Combine all that with almost an entirely new offense with a new QB, new RB, new TE, new go to receiver, and a new center.

Do you think this offensive line coach is going to coach up the O line to give Lee time? I don't know. I hope so.

New defensive coordinator and the loss of Nathan Gerry. We saw what happened when the new offense came in in 2015, the QB was not in the right system. Are these defensive players right for this system? I hope so.

Do you think there will be a pass rush? Can the D Backs cover forever?

Say what you will, but I am watching the news and the cruise missiles at Syria.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a slightly better chance for us seeing 8 losses as opposed to seeing zero losses. Being realistic though, the best case scenario for us is a 9-3 record. The worst case scenario would be a 6-6 record.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Four losses

Penn State a road game, Nebraska was 0-3 last year against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa all quality teams and all were on the road. Penn State is a quality team.

Other losses

Northwestern this game is always tough for Nebraska. Fitzgerald gets them ready for Nebraska

Minnesota Nebraska lost to Minnesota in 2014 in Lincoln. Different coaches now, different teams. PJ Fleck could have them on a roll, and if Nebraska is beat up by Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Northwestern.....

Illinois and Purdue in 2015 Riley was able to lose in both of those environments.

Combine all that with almost an entirely new offense with a new QB, new RB, new TE, new go to receiver, and a new center.

Do you think this offensive line coach is going to coach up the O line to give Lee time? I don't know. I hope so.

New defensive coordinator and the loss of Nathan Gerry. We saw what happened when the new offense came in in 2015, the QB was not in the right system. Are these defensive players right for this system? I hope so.

A couple things...Minnesota will be better because of a completely new coaching staff but Nebraska will be worse because they have a new DC and QB?

Is this year's Nebraska roster better or worse than the one that lost to Illinois and Purdue in 2015?

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people are concerned about or record this year, what about next year? Isn't 2018 an absolute gauntlet?

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things...Minnesota will be better because of a completely new coaching staff but Nebraska will be worse because they have a new DC and QB?

Is this year's Nebraska roster better or worse than the one that lost to Illinois and Purdue in 2015?

I seem to have upset you since I have a different opinion than you.

I will no longer post my opinion.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Four losses

Other losses

To me, I seemed to have explained my opinion, but we seem to have a failure to communicate.

I look forward to watching the Spring Game next Saturday.