• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
Actually, I agree with his last sentence there. We haven't become anything else. That's why we are struggling...we have no identity. That's what MR is trying to do...give us an identity again. Doesn't matter what that identity is, we just have to have it and recruit to it and execute it well.
You are wrong on so many levels with that statement... :tsk:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what I want to see.

I want to see an offense similar to what we ran in the early 70's. Balanced attack with a FB, IB, and a QB that can throw. I don't want to go back to the triple option.

I see Riley is trying to install something similar to that, just not confident in his ability to get it to execute without it being a discombobulated cluster-fuck.

Only elite coaches can put all the pieces together for that to be elite Top 10 stuff. Even if he did get it firing on all cylinders, it won't take us to the promise land without a defense that can keep GOOD teams under 28.

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back in the 50's the crew hated to loose
they hired Bob
in 1962 the Husker program started
they paid a lot to get Bob from Wyoming

this should be a concern to the AD and that shit head that hired EEcorrsst

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what I want to see.

I want to see an offense similar to what we ran in the early 70's. Balanced attack with a FB, IB, and a QB that can throw. I don't want to go back to the triple option.

I see Riley is trying to install something similar to that, just not confident in his ability to get it to execute without it being a discombobulated cluster-fuck.

Only elite coaches can put all the pieces together for that to be elite Top 10 stuff. Even if he did get it firing on all cylinders, it won't take us to the promise land without a defense that can keep GOOD teams under 28.
This is what I would like to see as well. We need to recruit well for it to work, though.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did Eichorst study Riley's Oregon State's records at all before he made this horrendous hire? Please note all of the blowout losses also...
Oregon State Historical Scores

Even in his best season, he still had 3 blowout losses out of his 4 losses! Wow!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we just had our first season since what 2010? without a blowout loss.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And we just had our first season since what 2010? without a blowout loss.

The Purdue loss? I bet we see at least two next year, out of the 5 losses we'll see, minimum.

Also, how many of the 7 losses SHOULD have been wins?!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I thought you were talking about blow out losses. Pretty sure that is what you said.

Now if we are just talking losses, yeah we have way to many of them. And if it happens every year he'll be here 3 years max.
But you were referring to his losses that were blow outs. Purdue was a never should of happened but it wasn't a blow out imo. Not the kind of blowouts we experienced under Pelini.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I thought you were talking about blow out losses. Pretty sure that is what you said.

Now if we are just talking losses, yeah we have way to many of them. And if it happens every year he'll be here 3 years max.
But you were referring to his losses that were blow outs. Purdue was a never should of happened but it wasn't a blow out imo. Not the kind of blowouts we experienced under Pelini.

I know the Purdue loss wasn't a total blowout, but considering they were a terrible team, I see a ten point loss against them as a blowout, and a totally avoidable one too. God awful coaching in that game.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is one of the saddest days in recent memory for Nebraska football.

We could easily beat both of those teams. Had the talent. Never got outplayed. Just outsmarted and outcoached.

All I know is, I'm definitely a Michigan State fan today.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is one of the saddest days in recent memory for Nebraska football.

We could easily beat both of those teams. Had the talent. Never got outplayed. Just outsmarted and outcoached.

All I know is, I'm definitely a Michigan State fan today.

Other than taking Iowa in pick'ems I could care less either way. I don't see either as a rival, but over time I guess Iowa could develop into one. For that to happen Nebraska will have to remain irrelevant for another 10 years. Iowa is not going to maintain this level for long, so it would be like a Minnesota/Iowa rivalry.

That Nebraska "Never got outplayed" is arguable. They were outplayed in fundamentals, discipline, and special teams.
NU had 41 more yds in penalties.
NU had 3 more turnovers.
In special teams Nebraska was 0 for 0 yds in punt returns, Iowa was 3 for 44 yds.
In kick-off returns Nebraska was 1 for 20 yds, where Iowa was 4 for 65 yds.

What I mean by "getting outplayed" being arguable is I've stressed over and over through the years that those little things matter. Fundamentals, discipline, and special teams. I've always said those are failed coaching issues, so I concede that to you.

All levels of football are filled with failed coaches. Those coaches all have failure of those little things in common. They regularly lose because they can't put ALL of the pieces together.

Iowa just hasn't beaten themselves this season like they normally do under Ferentz, where Nebraska has beaten itself multiple times.

Until Riley and crew emphasize the importance of those little things, we'll have HWSNBN and Bopleeny type seasons (at best) for the length of his contract.

Nebraska is not going to get to the next level without cleaning up those little things.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michigan State beat Iowa with the same thing that Nebraska would have beaten Iowa with, and that's the running game. By limiting Mr. up for grabs TA to maybe 20 passes at the most against Iowa, would have prevented 2 picks or so. All of the great teams yesterday won by utilizing the running game in a big way. I bet West Coast Riley didn't take note of that.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we will hire frost in 3-5 years

I didn't think Frost would be a good hire for Nebraska before we got west coast Riley, but now I believe he would have been a better hire than what Stenchorst hired.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully MR will have us playing in the big ten champioonship game next year and for the next 5 years. In that time I am thinking that Frost will have a bunch of success. So MR wins the big ten, then we get into the 4 team playoff win the national championship. MR retires in comes Frost and we don't miss a beat for the next 50 years

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hopefully MR will have us playing in the big ten champioonship game next year and for the next 5 years. In that time I am thinking that Frost will have a bunch of success. So MR wins the big ten, then we get into the 4 team playoff win the national championship. MR retires in comes Frost and we don't miss a beat for the next 50 years

With a change in offensive philosophy, Riley can go far.

Last edited: