• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Detroit re-sign Goff this offseason or wait till after next season?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really was a good trade for both sides.

I personally expected Detroit to use Goff for a few years and then move on from him. But, it looks like they will keep him.

Yeah, there just isn't much to gain by what Detroit could get to replace Goff. His stats are great, so I'm not sure what significant increase the Lions could gain from another QB. A new QB wouldn't likely significantly change the Lion's offense.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really was a good trade for both sides.

I personally expected Detroit to use Goff for a few years and then move on from him. But, it looks like they will keep him.
Goff outplayed what just about anybody expected. I thought he would be a stop-gap, but he earned his spot as the starter. His shortcoming is very well documented, but the Lions have done a great job of minimizing that while getting him in a position to succeed. As long as the Lions keep the core of their line intact, Goff is more than good enough to be the guy.

They need some depth as Ragnow is likely to miss a few games every year, but I think they keep adding to it and keep the offense rolling. I like where the Lions are right now.

Reactions: DJ

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff isn't a great QB but he is very close to being a top 8-10 QB and those guys aren't easy to find.

Just my opinion.
I think he is great, but not elite. If you are in the top 10 of QB's in the NFL, you are great, with flashes of being elite from time to time. That's where I see Goff.

8-10 is a good spot for him. If the Lions can get a QB that ranks 8-10 in the NFL, and sign him to a contract that pays him 25% less than the top 5 QB's in the NFL, I think that would be a good spot for the Lions. You can do a lot with $12-$15 million extra money each year that you save from not paying elite QB money.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit fans pounding their chest after beating our secondary lol

It’s precious
Most passes were short, thats on your underneath and top coverages… not just your secondary.

Its also Kinda funny seeing how your scores were 50 and 38 yards. Especially compared to Goofs 2 yard TD pass.

Good luck with Staffords 16th and 17th seasons. His old lady is gonna start nagging him this offseason. He will do as she tells him.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff outplayed what just about anybody expected. I thought he would be a stop-gap, but he earned his spot as the starter. His shortcoming is very well documented, but the Lions have done a great job of minimizing that while getting him in a position to succeed. As long as the Lions keep the core of their line intact, Goff is more than good enough to be the guy.

They need some depth as Ragnow is likely to miss a few games every year, but I think they keep adding to it and keep the offense rolling. I like where the Lions are right now.
I agree with this.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Keeping the core of their line intact will be easier if they can get Goff signed in the $40's million for the next 4-5 years. These guys signing for $50-$60+ per season these past few and next few years are likely going to feel the pain of losing key players due to salary cap problems.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most passes were short, thats on your underneath and top coverages… not just your secondary.

Its also Kinda funny seeing how your scores were 50 and 38 yards. Especially compared to Goofs 2 yard TD pass.

Good luck with Staffords 16th and 17th seasons. His old lady is gonna start nagging him this offseason. He will do as she tells him.

She’s been nagging. Haha thanks man. Good luck to y’all as well

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is great, but not elite. If you are in the top 10 of QB's in the NFL, you are great, with flashes of being elite from time to time. That's where I see Goff.

8-10 is a good spot for him. If the Lions can get a QB that ranks 8-10 in the NFL, and sign him to a contract that pays him 25% less than the top 5 QB's in the NFL, I think that would be a good spot for the Lions. You can do a lot with $12-$15 million extra money each year that you save from not paying elite QB money.
You are ignoring the stinkers Goff puts up too. This is what makes him not great. Both Bears games? Lol. Flashes of being elite doesn’t take away the reality of his stinkers

But you go on with all that kool aid

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are ignoring the stinkers Goff puts up too. This is what makes him not great. Both Bears games? Lol. Flashes of being elite doesn’t take away the reality of his stinkers

But you go on with all that kool aid

I'm not ignoring the stinkers. Every QB has stinkers, even the elite guys, every season. Just pointing out he has far more great games than stinkers, with a flash of elite play from time to time. That's why I think he is somewhere hovering somewhere inside the top 10 NFL QB's right now. He and the Lions have been fantastic for most of the past 25 games.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ignoring the stinkers. Every QB has stinkers, even the elite guys, every season. Just pointing out he has far more great games than stinkers, with a flash of elite play from time to time. That's why I think he is somewhere hovering somewhere inside the top 10 NFL QB's right now. He and the Lions have been fantastic for most of the past 25 games.

Against the Bears? Twice?

No. Not a great QB my man sorry

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against the Bears? Twice?

No. Not a great QB my man sorry

He certainly struggled with them. You take those two games out of the 17 he played, we are talking about a legit MVP candidate. 5 of his interceptions came against the Bears, nearly half of his entire interceptions for the season happened in those two games. That makes me even more impressed with his other 15 games!

His stats are pretty amazing, in spite of his games against the Bears and Ravens. I'd still label him as a great QB, worthy of a top 10 ranking.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly struggled with them. You take those two games out of the 17 he played, we are talking about a legit MVP candidate. 5 of his interceptions came against the Bears, nearly half of his entire interceptions for the season happened in those two games. That makes me even more impressed with his other 15 games!

His stats are pretty amazing, in spite of his games against the Bears and Ravens. I'd still label him as a great QB, worthy of a top 10 ranking.
He had a few great games and a few stinkers. A few good ones and some average ones too.

Not great. Overall are his stats good sure but stats don’t win super bowls my man

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a few great games and a few stinkers. A few good ones and some average ones too.

Not great. Overall are his stats good sure but stats don’t win super bowls my man

I think you just summed up many of the top 10 QB's in those first two sentences.

A lot of great QB's don't win SB's in their careers, so that's not a great measurement of greatness in my opinion (although it is necessary to be elite). I mean, there are quite a few great QB's over the years that have never even seen a SB.

His stats are great this year, and the Lions record is great, so I'm going to just rest it there. Thanks again for the back and forth. Have a GREAT week!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just summed up many of the top 10 QB's in those first two sentences.

A lot of great QB's don't win SB's in their careers, so that's not a great measurement of greatness in my opinion (although it is necessary to be elite). I mean, there are quite a few great QB's over the years that have never even seen a SB.

His stats are great this year, and the Lions record is great, so I'm going to just rest it there. Thanks again for the back and forth. Have a GREAT week!
No none of the top 10 QBs in the league threw 5 INTs in 2 games to one of the worst teams in the league

But you keep drankin the kool aid

As far as winning a Super Bowl, that was the Rams goal. Lol

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No none of the top 10 QBs in the league threw 5 INTs in 2 games to one of the worst teams in the league

But you keep drankin the kool aid

As far as winning a Super Bowl, that was the Rams goal. Lol

They've had their bad games, against mediocre teams. I'm a Lions fan and we have been bad for the greater part of my life. I've seen some great QB's look bad against us. It happens to even elite QB's from time to time.

It may be the Rams goal, and every other team's goal, but there are great QB's that don't get win one and even don't get to a SB. I think you need a SB win to be considered an Elite QB. SB's measure great teams, but you can be a great QB without winning a SB. There are a lot of them out there.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've had their bad games, against mediocre teams. I'm a Lions fan and we have been bad for the greater part of my life. I've seen some great QB's look bad against us. It happens to even elite QB's from time to time.

It may be the Rams goal, and every other team's goal, but there are great QB's that don't get win one and even don't get to a SB. I think you need a SB win to be considered an Elite QB. SB's measure great teams, but you can be a great QB without winning a SB. There are a lot of them out there.
If you give Goff a good defense he might be able to win a Super Bowl. Dilfer and Flacco won superbowls. They were good enough game managers to get it done

But Goff is not gonna win one on his arm like Stafford did. He’s not going to outscored great teams with good defenses. Sorry. It’s why we made the trade

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you give Goff a good defense he might be able to win a Super Bowl. Dilfer and Flacco won superbowls. They were good enough game managers to get it done

But Goff is not gonna win one on his arm like Stafford did. He’s not going to outscored great teams with good defenses. Sorry

How many QB's win a SB without a good defense? I'm sure it happens, but it feels like the winning SB team usually has a top 12-15 ranked defense.

I consider Stafford an elite QB for his career. So saying Goff is a great QB isn't a stretch for me.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many QB's win a SB without a good defense? I'm sure it happens, but it feels like the winning SB team usually has a top 12-15 ranked defense.

I consider Stafford an elite QB for his career. So saying Goff is a great QB isn't a stretch for me.
Goff will need a great defense to help him win one. You’re right most Super Bowl winners have at least a good defense. I’d say our defense in 2021 was pretty solid. Not great but better than good

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens do that to NFC teams. That was our worst game, but the Ravens are NFC killers the past few seasons when Lamar plays.

Except the Rams I guess? Rams lost due to horrible DB and special teams play in an OT game in Baltimore.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think Detroit should have (or at least could have) beaten them by much more and it’s Goff’s fault because he didn’t produce yards in those 5 pressure plays?

Interesting takeaway from last night’s game there.

Do you think 3 points in the second half is a strong performance?