• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Cavs Trade Wiggins for Love?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managing expectations and his PR person who wrote it said you must he opposite of his original decision and hence:

1. written and not spoken.
2. A PR person's words and not his.
3. Humility versus hubris (not 1, not 2, not3).
4. ETC., ETC.

I doubt James could read that letter out loud without butchering it, yet alone remotely write it.

The attempted PR move is so ridiculously obvious.

To me, what happened when he came to the Heat was real. The Decision didn't play out very well.
The Heat fan celebration was what it was.

But none of it was phony.

Everything James has done since this season ended was phony, and to me, that is worse than being real, even if real didn't work out the way you planned it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also everyone thinks they need to win now. Why is that?

Lebron said he knows they arent ready to win now and it could take time.

*Cough*

:laugh3:

So why :laugh3: do they need to win now?

:rollseyes:

I know somebody read that letter.

They need to win now because it's a 2 year deal with a player option after year 1. He probably already has his PR folks working on the next letter.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough question.

On the one hand, Wiggins has been called "The Next Lebron" and they have the chance to have him mentored by "The Original Lebron".

On the other hand, Love makes the Cavs the favorite to come out of the east.

Really though, it's the Cavs, so something bad will happen either way. If they don't trade for Love, Wiggins will be a bust. If they do, Love will suffer a career altering injury and Wiggins will become a superstar playing for someone else.

That's pretty much the Cleveland curse!
And not that I ever want to see any player injured, but, James is pretty muscled toned, we saw the cramping.
Maybe something's about to give?:noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty much the Cleveland curse!
And not that I ever want to see any player injured, but, James is pretty muscled toned, we saw the cramping.
Maybe something's about to give?:noidea:

Yeah, I'd never wish injury on any player. It's just what happens in Cleveland.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Minny then I wouldn't trade Love until the Cavs put Wiggins on the table. The players the Cavs offering now will not get Minny nowhere and this there shot at getting a future star. Right now the Cavs don't have that much leverage either since they need Love to have a chance at winning the East and if they wait still he's a free agent then other teams could offer him more than what the Cavs can offer him. The question for the Cavs is Now or Later? Now: trade Wiggins for Love and compete for a title or Later: Keep Wiggins and become a relavant playoff team with the chance of something special happening later on.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but would lebron wait around for these guys to develop? he is only on a two year contract and I think he can opt out after the 1st year

If James is anywhere near as honest as his letter, he is back in Cleveland for the rest of his career. If he bolts again I'm pretty sure someone from Cleveland will hunt him down and kill him.

He has pretty much painted himself in a corner. He can't ever leave again. What would the children he has come back to save do if he leaves?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd never wish injury on any player. It's just what happens in Cleveland.

I learned my lesson at a young age.
I was at the Browns game when Joe "turkey" Jones body slammed Bradshaw, and I cheered.
My father put me in my place, right on the spot, and all these years later I've never forgotten it.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to win now because it's a 2 year deal with a player option after year 1. He probably already has his PR folks working on the next letter.

An easy No.

Wiggins would be traded based on potential, barring a atrocious season the likes of which we have seen very few times (also incredibly unlikely with Lebron to pass it to him and free him up), he will have the same value after one season, if not more. Its very unlikely his stock will tumble so far that he would not be worth about the same at worst. After one season Love will indeed be a free agent, then they could sign him outright, and possibly have another stud in Wiggins, or simply trade him then.

:noidea:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough question.

On the one hand, Wiggins has been called "The Next Lebron" and they have the chance to have him mentored by "The Original Lebron".

On the other hand, Love makes the Cavs the favorite to come out of the east.

Really though, it's the Cavs, so something bad will happen either way. If they don't trade for Love, Wiggins will be a bust. If they do, Love will suffer a career altering injury and Wiggins will become a superstar playing for someone else.

My favorite part of your post Trojan was the very end. "Playing for someone else", so even though he would be traded to the Wolves we understand by the time he's a superstar he'd be somewhere else. This is the reason the NBA is the only sport of the big 4 that's going the wrong way.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned my lesson at a young age.
I was at the Browns game when Joe "turkey" Jones body slammed Bradshaw, and I cheered.
My father put me in my place, right on the spot, and all these years later I've never forgotten it.

I had a similar experience. Watching a USC game, an opposing player got hurt, I cheered and my Dad let me know under no uncertain terms that was NOT okay. Passed that same lesson along to my son (ironically, when he said he hoped Lebron got hurt).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of your post Trojan was the very end. "Playing for someone else", so even though he would be traded to the Wolves we understand by the time he's a superstar he'd be somewhere else. This is the reason the NBA is the only sport of the big 4 that's going the wrong way.

:L Meant someone else, other than the Cavs. Sorry.

Epoch1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Love... the Cavs don't need him if they are thinking of their future. If Wiggins produces and develops as expected, with James as a mentor, all the Cavs need is a serviceable big man to fill the middle. A year or two of building and the Cavs will be a lot stronger and James will be the leader, albeit an aging one.

James has pretty much committed the rest of his career to the Cavs and the people of Cleveland and Ohio. Do the Cavs really want to sacrifice the player that can offer them a competitive future for an immediate return? Especially one that has no promise if it doesn't work in a year or two?

What's the rush? James can't go anywhere. If he's worth his salt, he'll put in the time turning Wiggins and the other young guys into a solid unit.

Not that I believe for one minute it will happen. But I've been wrong before!

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Love... the Cavs don't need him if they are thinking of their future. If Wiggins produces and develops as expected, with James as a mentor, all the Cavs need is a serviceable big man to fill the middle. A year or two of building and the Cavs will be a lot stronger and James will be the leager, albeit an aging one.

James has pretty much committed the rest of his career to the Cavs and the people of Cleveland and Ohio. Do the Cavs really want to sacrifice the player that can offer them a competitive future for an immediate return? Especially one that has no promise if it doesn't work in a year or two?

What's the rush? James can't go anywhere. If he's worth his salt, he'll put in the time turning Wiggins and the other young guys into a solid unit.

You go right on and keep believing James.

Can't go anywhere?

Didn't he say he was going to Miami because he thought they could compete for championships every year?
Did they ever not?
Did he leave?

When I see a contract with no opt out, then I'll believe he can't leave.

I understand this first contract, and 100% believe he'll be a Cav when it ends.

Let's see the structure of the new one, because it will probably be his last one.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Love... the Cavs don't need him if they are thinking of their future. If Wiggins produces and develops as expected, with James as a mentor, all the Cavs need is a serviceable big man to fill the middle. A year or two of building and the Cavs will be a lot stronger and James will be the leader, albeit an aging one.

The thing is Lebron is 30, he has what 4-5 seasons of playing great basketball left. If they wait for Wiggins, less chances to win. Love is only 25 and in or maybe not even at his prime. He could have a chance at many more titles if you go the "now" route.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont agree with trading him now. Love will still be available at the end of the season. And really at any point in this season. Wiggins stock could not plummet so far after only his rookie season, unless as i stated earlier, he has a atrocious season, which wont happen, hes really good. And hes playing with LBJ, it would only benefit his rook season IMO.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a lot of it has to do with if lebron decides to bolt again. Which if he did, and i hope he does, would destroy his image. :whistle:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is Lebron is 30, he has what 4-5 seasons of playing great basketball left. If they wait for Wiggins, less chances to win. Love is only 25 and in or maybe not even at his prime. He could have a chance at many more titles if you go the "now" route.

Well you still have to resign Love.....and I don't know where the money is going to come from. They could move players, but I don't think they can clear up enough for another max deal - and that's ASSUMING he would resign.

Unlike you I don't think they can get Love for pennies.....I think Minny will want a significant amount of their bench - so I don't think just adding him is going to pay dividends. They WILL have to give up Waiters, Thompson, possibly even Varajao. If that happens they're screwed regardless of Love.

I think they're better off building with what they have and trying to find a quality big. Hell they could trade for Hibbert for far less than Love and at least have a defensive presence in the paint.

There are a LOT of ways they can improve this roster without giving up key pieces to Minny

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you still have to resign Love.....and I don't know where the money is going to come from. They could move players, but I don't think they can clear up enough for another max deal - and that's ASSUMING he would resign.

Unlike you I don't think they can get Love for pennies.....I think Minny will want a significant amount of their bench - so I don't think just adding him is going to pay dividends. They WILL have to give up Waiters, Thompson, possibly even Varajao. If that happens they're screwed regardless of Love.

I think they're better off building with what they have and trying to find a quality big. Hell they could trade for Hibbert for far less than Love and at least have a defensive presence in the paint.

There are a LOT of ways they can improve this roster without giving up key pieces to Minny

You realize you can go over the cap to pay your own guys, right?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They wouldn't take anyone from the bench that was productive. It would probably go TT (starter), Wiggins (bench most likely), and Bennett (bench). Bennett is young and didn't do much, replace TT with Love, and you lose Wiggins who hasn't proved himself. They will probably add 2 1st rounders or something.

And they can go over cap to sign him.

Bennett and TT are $11 mil combined. Add Wiggins and they wouldn't be that much over anyway. (Probably another $5 mil.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all about proven commodities and all but you don't give up a talent like Wiggins. You just don't. You don't trade Kobe for Vlade Dijvac.