• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality of the business. Sherman is heading into the last year of his contract which will pay him 13 mil. Lots of questions, will he even be 100% for the last year? Is there a chance he has no intentions of extending for a realistic dollar value after this year? Has Sherman representing himself making things harder? It does seem that the team wanted to have a sit down with Sherman about the future. About reducing his salary for next season, about learning what their options are. It is easy to speculate, that the Seahawks are not comfortable giving Sherman 13 mil for the final year of his contract when there is a strong chance that he due to injury may not be the same player he used to be for that final year. There is also this cap thing, a mini rebuild happening and most importantly, the Seahawks are reluctant to give big money to players over the age of 30. Cutting him may be a short term ouch, but the right thing to do when looking ahead 2 to 3 years from now

Agree with all of this... don't make the Felix Hernandez mistake. Should've traded him last year, frankly.

Seattle's CBs did not play terribly last year either. Griffin played quite well, Shead will hopefully get healthy, and we didn't even see some of our other draft picks take the field due to so much depth.

I see zero reason to keep Sherman around. I will miss his leadership and assistance with the younger guys (or so I'm told from camp, etc.). He seems to be a quite willing player to help out the younger guys and improve their game... but that's also why you hire coaches.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep Sherman, he's representing himself, get him in the back office and work something out... If we let Sherman just walk, I fear someone in our division will nab him within the first hour, and that's not gonna be a good thing ...

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man who represents himself, has a fool for a client. It’s time to turn the roster over.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett, Richard Sherman, Cliff Avril, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor all played a huge role in our great run. It's hard to say goodbye to them, but it is necessary.

The injury that Sherman is dealing with is something that is very difficult to recover from. Sherman rightfully deserves a place in the Seahawks ring of honor, but his time with us has passed. It only makes sense to move on.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injury that Sherman is dealing with is something that is very difficult to recover from. Sherman rightfully deserves a place in the Seahawks ring of honor, but his time with us has passed. It only makes sense to move on.
The only thing about it that makes sense is the salary cap aspect. Players come back from a torn Achilles a lot more often than they don't these days. Besides, it's not like speed is a big part of Sherm's game anyway. He's turning 30 this year and I think he has 2 or 3 seasons left where he'll be playing at peak level. He's the best CB of his era and one of the bigger reasons why this team has had so much success since 2012; the only reason to let him go is because of money. And in that case, they better be doing something good with it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very sad to see him leave. I don't know if he will ever come back like he was, but he was a vital part of the greatest Seahawk era ever.

I know the Seahawks are cash strapped but I fear this is something that will really bite us in the ass.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very sad to see him leave. I don't know if he will ever come back like he was, but he was a vital part of the greatest Seahawk era ever.

I know the Seahawks are cash strapped but I fear this is something that will really bite us in the ass.

Don't believe Sherman would be effective in 2018.Usually takes a season of play to recover from that injury , if they recover. So in any case the secondary would be questionable.
With a reasonable salary it would be nice to retain him, but players are rarely open to the idea of reducing their pay.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way modern med has come and the way these guys rehab non stop, Sherm should be fine for the 2018 season. Maybe rusty in the beginning but he should be back to form. The only thing I have to add is if he is here for the 2018 season the FO will probably ask for a pay cut which he needs to think about. Sounds like a trade is off the table, he may not get want he wants on the open market cause of the injury so his last option would be a pay cut but still get paid good money and helps the Hawks with additional cap savings.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman has all New England in a buzz. With malcolm Butler moving on, the Patriots will need a replacement. Carroll let Bennett go to the Eagles for a 5th round pick abut the Patriots offered a 3rd and a 6th, but Carroll had already made gentlemen's agreement with the Eagles. None the less, what we hear on the East Coast is that the doctors will not allow Sherman to to start running until April. He's not expected to be ready to actually play until October or November. Bill Belichick is willing to wait if he can get him. Brady supposedly has talked to Sherman about coming east to to work with Alex Guerreo at the TB12 Clinic.

With the season officially opening next Wednesday at 12:01, a lot of interesting things may hyappen over the next 5 days.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The band is really gone. This is probably the offseason we're all been dreading but kinda expected since all good things comes to an end.

10 years from now when they get the band back together again they're gonna even be more appreciated. This Defense was legendary and it's a shame they couldn't become a dynasty.... I have to think losing the second SB has a lot to do with it as it changes everything.

Good run LOB.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think is really going on between the Seahawks and Richard Sherman and I SWEAR this is the most mature/civil way of going about things. The Seahawks asked sherman to restructure his contract and Sherman most likely didnt want to so they talked it over in which he can be released to relieve cap space and sherman can see what he can get in the open market, if he doesnt get what he is looking for or worth him packing up his things and starting over in a new team then he can come back to the Seahawks on a new deal. There shouldnt be any animosity here just business for both parties.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how Richard Sherman will go to New England, Sherman is going to want a mutli year contract that is pricey and I cant remember the last time the Patriots gave that kind of salary to a 30 year old player that would be new to the organization

Now the raiders might be a different story

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think is really going on between the Seahawks and Richard Sherman and I SWEAR this is the most mature/civil way of going about things. The Seahawks asked sherman to restructure his contract and Sherman most likely didnt want to so they talked it over in which he can be released to relieve cap space and sherman can see what he can get in the open market, if he doesnt get what he is looking for or worth him packing up his things and starting over in a new team then he can come back to the Seahawks on a new deal. There shouldnt be any animosity here just business for both parties.

I'll be curious to see what Sherm gets now he's a FA

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sherman actually NEEDS the money. He might go to NE and try to win another ring just to give the world the middle finger.

If he's chasing $'s, he'd be more likely to sign in SF than in Oakland.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how Richard Sherman will go to New England, Sherman is going to want a mutli year contract that is pricey and I cant remember the last time the Patriots gave that kind of salary to a 30 year old player that would be new to the organization

Now the raiders might be a different story

Sherman likes winning though, and he knows the Patriots will give him the best chance to do that with Brady still at the helm.... He might take less to go there...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, that's exactly what Sherman said too when asked. Sherman's not an idiot. He understands Seattle has $14M of cap which is really $11-12M (we don't have a lot of high picks) after rookies and we need DL/OL help which doesn't come cheap. $11-12M vs. $22-23M is a pretty big difference.

It sucks to lose a player with a head like that on his shoulders since most players would be like, "DUR DUR I WANT $15M EVEN DO DA TEAM HAS $15M OF CAP DUR DUR!"

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@#$^@#$^@#$^#@^@#$^ ... I'm heavily bummed out right now... wish Sherman all the best ..

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for the best.

we had two choices, extend our old players and drag this out for another year or 2 and be in cap hell with old broken players.

or rip off the bandaid, have a down year, but keep the young guys on the roster and build around wilson and wagner.

we made the right choice.