• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman vs Peterson who's better?

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers don't even have to worry about him now...

They are still in the market for a new CB. He didn't pass his physical.

Biggest sigh of relief for the time being....

Carlos Rogers... His head is on the chopping block.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The film shows that Sherman is FAR superior...not slightly edges....but far superior. I think this shouldn't even be a debate.

Not sure we are watching the same film. Peterson was outstanding last year. Not bashing Sherman at all, he is elite. Maybe not as elite as he thinks he is. But to say he is FAR superior as if it is a fact just shows how much of a homer you are.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure we are watching the same film. Peterson was outstanding last year. Not bashing Sherman at all, he is elite. Maybe not as elite as he thinks he is. But to say he is FAR superior as if it is a fact just shows how much of a homer you are.

Peterson is good and he's going to get better. It will be interesting to see them next year. I for one think Sherman is going to have a career year next year. He has a lot riding on this year. I'm sure you feel the same way about Peterson.

WHIZENATOR

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sherman is good, but he's got a big mouth and that doesn't usually translate to a long term leader. Peterson has more talent and has much better leadership quality. Peterson also has the ability to do more than just be a corner back. As a football player Peterson is much better than Sherman, IMO.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman is excellent, no question about it. The main difference between the two, is that Peterson is a true, mano-y-mano, man up, one on one Cornerback, where as Richard Sherman is protected by the best saftey duo in the league, and excellent in what Seattle asks him to do. It's not nearly as difficult as what the Cardinals ask Peterson to do however. When it's all said and done, I still think that Peterson will have the more heralded career.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing... two posts in the same day on the cardinals board by 9AM. Record? Even if they are both from the same cardinals fan. I am impressed!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Peterson really a better overall player? Last year he was terrible in the return game. His rookie year he was the best in the NFL. It's a good debate. The Seadderall Seahawks fans are obviously going to pick Sherman. They aren't really known for their ability to be objective. Been to a lot of games and they rank just behind Raiders and Browns fans in "keepin' it classy"

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Peterson really a better overall player? Last year he was terrible in the return game. His rookie year he was the best in the NFL. It's a good debate. The Seadderall Seahawks fans are obviously going to pick Sherman. They aren't really known for their ability to be objective. Been to a lot of games and they rank just behind Raiders and Browns fans in "keepin' it classy"

Terrible in the return game? Peterson was 4th in total punt return yardage last year. So it's TDs or bust with you? I guess when a guy ties the record for punt return TDs in a season, you expect him to be able to do that every year.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Peterson DOES Return punts... makes him more more versatile than Sherman that is for sure... plus he played on offense as well. I'd agree that he is a better overall football player than Richard Sherman. He just gives you more bang for the buck.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Peterson DOES Return punts... makes him more more versatile than Sherman that is for sure... plus he played on offense as well. I'd agree that he is a better overall football player than Richard Sherman. He just gives you more bang for the buck.

Not to sure about that. Sure he's more versatile, but he was a #1 draft choice and Sherman was a #5 draft choice. So as far as bang for your buck, I'd have to go with Sherman.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just an expression.. not necessarily their contracts.

What I mean is.. in a single football player, you get a player in Peterson who excells on defense, excells in Special Teams and has played offense.

Sherman doesn't have all that.

That is really what I was referring to.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman is excellent, no question about it. The main difference between the two, is that Peterson is a true, mano-y-mano, man up, one on one Cornerback, where as Richard Sherman is protected by the best saftey duo in the league, and excellent in what Seattle asks him to do. It's not nearly as difficult as what the Cardinals ask Peterson to do however. When it's all said and done, I still think that Peterson will have the more heralded career.

It's splitting hair between the 2 guys. Flip a coin and that's your winner. The best 2 young cb's in the NFL.

There is no difference in the man up, mano-y-mano, one on one corner. Sherman's natural skills in this area rival some of the greats like Deion or Mike Haynes or Lester Hayes and some Rod Woodson.

Man on Man is where RS excels. He gets inside position, can flip his hips and goes up for the pick or
extends his left hand out in an attempt to bat the ball down or to a closing Earl Thomas. Sherman
makes Thomas' job easier.

Even when Sherman is in a zone, he knows how to bait the QB and jump the route. For a guy young at the position, Sherman excels at both press, man to man or in a zone.

No idea on the more heralded career. Likely depends on health. I'm glad hawks have Sherman and am sure Zona fans are glad they have Peterson. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman gives the outside and shows his gumby like hips. He can flip either direction and no way a QB
throws over the top of him, so Harvin better try to break inside but Sherm has position. This is consistently how Sherman rolls and why he's an outstanding man to man press cover cb. His CB technique should be used in CB training.

Attachments

• Harvin vs Sherm2.jpg
    Harvin vs Sherm2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm going Sherman with more bang for the buck, which I translate into $$/output or a cost/benefit relationship.

Peterson makes almost $5mm/ season (bonus inc over 5 years). Sherman makes around $500K/season.

If both guys give you the same output or production, Peterson is 10x more costly than Sherman.

Even if you think Peterson is 2x as good, Peterson is 5x more costly than Sherman. Sherman has a nose for the ball as exhibited by the 3rd longest fumble return for a TD last year.

Sherman gives you way more bang for the buck and Zona is foolish to run Peterson out there for punts.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just an expression.. not necessarily their contracts.

What I mean is.. in a single football player, you get a player in Peterson who excells on defense, excells in Special Teams and has played offense.

Sherman doesn't have all that.

That is really what I was referring to.

Ok... Sherman is an outstanding receiver but why use him there? Led Stanford 2 years in a row in Receiving yards. The vid shows one of the best corner interceptions you'll ever see as Sherman
drags his toes on the interception vs Zona. That is WR ability if you'll ever see it.

Sherman was a prolific punt returner, too, but why do it? Zona is foolish to throw Peterson back there.
4th Qtr and you need a big play, sure, but every punt = foolish.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as the video above states (which made Sherman look like a total dick), the facts should speak for themselves!

Patrick Peterson:

GP 32 Tack 119
SolTack 111 AstTack 8
PasDef 29 Sacks 1.0
FumFrc 0 FumRecYds 65
Int 9
Int TD 0

Richard Sherman:

GP 32 Tack 119
SolTack 100 AstTack 19
PasDef 41 Sacks 1.0
FumFrc 4 FumRecYds 102
Int 12
Int TD 1

Sherman has better stats as of right now but I believe the ceiling is greater for Patrick Peterson. He also is a serious weapon on special teams plus bruce Arians wants to get him more involved on the offensive side of the ball. The Seahawks also have other legitimate pass defenders on their team at the cornerback and safety. This will allow a player to take more chances than he would if he did not have a player to back him up. Patrick Peterson had to be an island for the most part which ultimately lead to him getting burned on occasion. The whole subject is splitting hairs.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson will be a good corner but he would be an elite free safety he would be the best in the league if he moved to that position.