• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Share your thoughts on the new Windows 10

winningTorch

ray=out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really liking the Edge browser, seems to be a little more responsive than IE. Funny that PC World's biggest complaint was the lack of add ons for it. Add ons do more harm than good in my opinion though.
do you prefer it to chrome? thinking of making the switch because i'm impressed with edge and its features, but i am big on adblock so that one does hurt.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is it is worldwide, still staggered with Windows Insiders getting the first downloads...even reports of MS trying out a PTP (torrent) download in areas...

Since my friend hooked me up with this insider preview/evaluation copy (I registered) I figured I'd be in the front of the line for the consumer release. So far, nothing.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been using both edge and chrome. Not sure I can let go of all of the features on chrome, but I'm giving edge a chance to change that. Haven't found any pages that edge failed on or anything yet, but haven't really spent that much time on it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since my friend hooked me up with this insider preview/evaluation copy (I registered) I figured I'd be in the front of the line for the consumer release. So far, nothing.
check your windows update and look at your history. Bet you anything it shows a windows 10 failed. Very common right now. Means your DL didn't complete correctly. I left a link a few pages back with how to fix it.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
check your windows update and look at your history. Bet you anything it shows a windows 10 failed. Very common right now. Means your DL didn't complete correctly. I left a link a few pages back with how to fix it.

I had a notification saying that repairs were necessary so I just logged in and took care of that. Maybe the CR will do its update now.

No rush on my end, this computer is strictly for entertainment purposes anyway.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a notification saying that repairs were necessary so I just logged in and took care of that. Maybe the CR will do its update now.

No rush on my end, this computer is strictly for entertainment purposes anyway.
yeah, but they said that insiders had the priority on the launch so you should have had your DL complete and ready to go shortly after midnight on launch day like Kansas did.

Look to see if you have the hidden folder on your C drive root. It is 5.9G when complete. It was predownloaded for most of us well before launch day.

Manually looking for update should trigger it if you fixed whatever was blocking it. Or follow the instructions on the link I posted to use the command line to force it. It will show you the progress in windows update and do so immediately after you type in the command.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MS is now saying it might be 2-3 weeks, but if you look in your Windows update and see a failed update for Windows 10 follow the instructions found earlier in this thread (or the other, I forget which) and you should be able to force it to download and install.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been using both edge and chrome. Not sure I can let go of all of the features on chrome, but I'm giving edge a chance to change that. Haven't found any pages that edge failed on or anything yet, but haven't really spent that much time on it.
Yeah, not much to Edge but it will be updated a lot in the next few weeks more than likely. Still don't see the need for add ons though, except for a good ad blocker. :D (Don't tell Hammer...)

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I bounced around in the notification pages and came across something that I didn't know. Although I had a registered microsoft account I hadn't registered as an "insider".

I just did that and downloaded the 64 bit tool and now my new Windows 10 is downloading. Do I have to stay here to click through prompts or can I split and go take care of some business?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MS is now saying it might be 2-3 weeks, but if you look in your Windows update and see a failed update for Windows 10 follow the instructions found earlier in this thread (or the other, I forget which) and you should be able to force it to download and install.

Thanks, I think I found the issue as I mentioned above.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DL will bring up a welcome screen that requires you to make a few clicks before it starts the upgrade.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DL will bring up a welcome screen that requires you to make a few clicks before it starts the upgrade.

Did that. The program has downloaded and the media created, now my laptop is doing some stuff I can hear, but not see.

I'm going to head out for a while and see what I come home to.

Thanks

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you prefer it to chrome? thinking of making the switch because i'm impressed with edge and its features, but i am big on adblock so that one does hurt.
Don't use Chrome (or Google), was using Firefox, Maxthon and Opera. Maxthon still has everything baked in (ad block, et. al) so it is still my go to browser for now.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news...Fresh install on a blank drive from the ISO, and Windows auto activated under the generic key. Just skipped all the product key prompts.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF Microsoft? The Edge browser will only open on the main monitor after being moved to the secondary monitor and closed? Windows Explorer opens anywhere it damn well please no matter where you park it? At least most other applications haven't exhibited this behavior. Anybody else having this issue with other apps?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't gotten brave enough to put 10 on my work system and I don't have multi monitors on my home computer. Maybe saving the park location is still on the to do list given you said this isn't a totally ready for prime time product yet?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah, I read that backwards lol.

I'm really surprised I haven't seen or read about more substantial bugs so far considering how close to launch even their last beta was and how many things were still missing or wonky.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing with edge... no option to download a file to anywhere but the Download folder? Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to direct my downloads. Another dumb-down tactic that limits choice and forces users to do a couple more steps to move the downloaded file to where it needs to go.

Edge doesn't seem ready for primetime.