• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan on ESPN 980 right now

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found that interview both revealing and confirmation. Most of what I heard yesterday confirms stories we have heard from multiple source. And this is exactly why you do not discount anonymous sources. Again Deep Throat was an anonymous source. They remain anonymous for obvious reasons, that does not mean they do not speak the truth. And when you hear it from so many different sources, well......

As the biggest Griffin supporter here I believed a lot of what I heard yesterday. And I also buy a lot of what is being said in this thread. There should be no question by now that Griffin acted like a douche. He lied to the coach about the injury, then threw him under the bus when he got hurt. He clearly walked in and demanded plays not be run. He actually got bent when Kirk did not run the read option When 2 different coaching staffs as well as the locker room, hate your guys that says it all.

With that said I will always put the blame on Shanny for keeping Griffin in during the Seattle game. I do however believe him when he says Dr. Andrews assured him that he was OK. I also understand the shit storm that Griffin would have caused had he been pulled, see the Baltimore and Cleveland games. So he was in a pretty tough spot for sure. Still he was the head coach and it was his call. But he was also 2 minutes from getting away with it if not for a bad snap by that clown Montgomery.

Yeah, I agree. While I have more sympathy for shanahan, he was the HC and if in his eyes he didn't think rg3 was ok, he could/should have pulled him. But his situation was very difficult, between dealing with a diva at QB that thought he knew it all and an owner that thought he new it all (apparently both still do), he was in a lose/lose situation. Much the same situation that Jay probably finds himself right now.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what else this is...? History. It's in the past...we need to move forward. Im not going to say this or that is right...and I could care less to believe one side over the other...but why would a egomaniac like Shanahan ever paint himself in a light other than flattering? Why would his story make himself look bad? It wouldn't...just saying.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what else this is...? History. It's in the past...we need to move forward. Im not going to say this or that is right...and I could care less to believe one side over the other...but why would a egomaniac like Shanahan ever paint himself in a light other than flattering? Why would his story make himself look bad? It wouldn't...just saying.

While I agree that shanahan is going to paint himself in the best possible light, his explanation of what transpired sure seems to tie together a bunch of loose ends logically and corroborates what we have heard from others over the last 2 years. While you may mark it up to history, history has a tendency to repeat itself. I guarantee you jay is reading the interview and saying "I know exactly what he is talking about".

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was a few years ago & a lot has changed. RG3 is not in the same position where he can afford to do whatever he pleases. He has the past few years, injuries and a negative PR image working against him. He also might have developed at least somewhat as a person over the past few years. The new FO structure also works against him if he has an attitude this season.

Above all else I don't think it matters. If RG3 plays the same as he has during the last few seasons he will be gone. I don't believe that there is any doubt about that given the new structure at Redskins Park. It may be entertaining to listen to Shanahan's war stories, but in the grand scheme I don't believe that it means much.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While shanny is putting his twist on it there is some truth in the middle somewhere. I could give 2 shits who's QB I just want consistent play from the position. I do however think it's kind of a douchebag move on shannys part to be stirring this shit up. Robert bas 1 more chance to make it happen or hit the pike to somewhere else.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you believe that snyder wont change then you are in for a lot of pain with this team . why hire a SM , and then handcuff him ? we heard shanny's side but he has been known to bend the truth a time or 2 as well . again shanny put his name to it and no one else has so that counts

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan recently gave an interview on ESPN 98o where he blamed the relationship between Robert Griffin III and owner Daniel Snyder as the reason he ultimately lost his job.

Here’s some of what Shanahan had to say:

“He wanted to be more of a drop-back, Aaron Rodgers-type guy, he did a few more things, and basically what I did is I went and talked to Dan, and I said, ‘Hey, Dan, for a quarterback to come to me, a veteran coach, and share these things, number one, he can’t be the sharpest guy to do something like that, or he’s got to feel very good about the owner backing him up. And since you have been telling me from Day One that he’s a drop-back quarterback and we should do more drop-back, and you guys have spent the last couple months together, I would think, or at least the last month, that this is an extension of you.’ He said it wasn’t. I just told him that the only chance that this kid, Robert, has to get to the level that we need him to get to is for him to at least trust us that we’re going to run the offense that gives him the best chance to be successful. And if not, it’s impossible, because he’s not ready for it. I can see it, that he’s not ready for that type of offense. Not that he’s not good enough, he just has never done it before.”

If this is true and RGIII actually tried to dictate to Mike Shanahan which plays he was and wasn’t going to run, then that’s not acceptable and totally unprofessional on his part. But Shanahan makes it seem as though he’s the first head coach in the history of football to ever have to deal with an arrogant, hot-shot young quarterback.

MORE FROM RIGGO'S RAG
I’ve said it before, if Mike Shanahan allowed a rookie quarterback to run all over him then that’s his own fault. Even with the anonymous source leaks in 2013 that now obviously seem to have come from Shanahan, to this recent interview, Mike Shanahan attempts to portray himself as some poor victim.

But Mike Shanahan is no victim, he just didn’t have the guts to put RGIII in his place and stand up to Dan Snyder. A head coach with the stature that Mike Shanahan believes himself to have could have done that. A real great coach like Joe Gibbs wouldn’t have even entertained that nonsense.

Shanahan also criticized Griffin for not being honest about his injuries. But is Mike Shanahan really that naive? What player has ever been 100% honest about their injuries? Mike Shanahan’s record as Redskins head coach was 11-21 before Robert Griffin III ever got there and RGIII handed him a division title the next season.

So what’s Shanahan’s excuse for losing before that? Is that RGIII’s fault too? Did Daniel Snyder prevent Mike Shanahan from winning in his first two seasons when he had complete control over the organization, or was that due to his own incompetence?

Did Dan Snyder make Mike Shanahan hire Jim Haslett as his defensive coordinator? Did Dan Snyder force Mike Shanahan to hire his son Kyle as his offensive coordinator? Did Dan Snyder force Mike Shanahan to trade for Donovan McNabb?

Did Dan Snyder force Mike Shanahan to leave a clearly injured RGIII in the playoff game to get his ACL torn? That was the real beginning of Mike Shanahan’s down fall and those mistakes are all on him, yet he’s still trying to blame others for his own failures.

Mike Shanahan recently tried to get back into coaching this offseason but he had no takers and I think this interview and his failed tenure as Redskins head coach shows why.

this needs to be taken into consideration too and how it applies to meddling and Rg3

not saying i buy this however i put it here for perspective

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan also criticized Griffin for not being honest about his injuries. But is Mike Shanahan really that naive? What player has ever been 100% honest about their injuries? Mike Shanahan’s record as Redskins head coach was 11-21 before Robert Griffin III ever got there and RGIII handed him a division title the next season.

I have a real problem with this especially as it relates to the Seahawks playoff game. Anyone who can see could tell that RG3 needed to be removed from that game well before the play which injured him more & forced him to exit the game. I don't care what the player says - this just seems wrong on the part of Shanahan & he should own up to it. He just strikes me as a guy who never takes responsibility for anything.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Dan Snyder force Mike Shanahan to leave a clearly injured RGIII in the playoff game to get his ACL torn? That was the real beginning of Mike Shanahan’s down fall and those mistakes are all on him, yet he’s still trying to blame others for his own failures.

I just don't see this happening. I could see Snyder trying to force his hand during the season or mid-week but not during a game. Shanahan could have simply stated that he didn't get the order due to miscommunication or some other excuse. Also - Shanahan doesn't strike me as a guy who would follow through on that type of order (& if he did then he is pretty lame anyhow).

It all just sounds like a bunch of BS to once again absolve Mike Shanahan of any blame.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't see this happening. I could see Snyder trying to force his hand during the season or mid-week but not during a game. Shanahan could have simply stated that he didn't get the order due to miscommunication or some other excuse. Also - Shanahan doesn't strike me as a guy who would follow through on that type of order (& if he did then he is pretty lame anyhow).

It all just sounds like a bunch of BS to once again absolve Mike Shanahan of any blame.

there are 2 sides to every story . i tried to get both out . Rg3 isnt as pure as the driven snow nor was shanny . Rg3 is accused of doing some arrogant things and snyder is accused of backing him

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are 2 sides to every story . i tried to get both out . Rg3 isnt as pure as the driven snow nor was shanny . Rg3 is accused of doing some arrogant things and snyder is accused of backing him

I am certainly not absolving RG3 of any blame in this or other matters & he certainly has his faults. However - in regards to the Seahawks game it was clear that RG3 needed to be taken out of the game much earlier. Again - anyone who watched that game could see that. I have had numerous non-Redskins fans tell me that they believe what Shanahan did in that situation was unforgivable.

Numerous NFL players lie about injuries & try to cover things up to play despite injuries. It is up to the coach, doctors, etc to do the right thing in spite of the players' feelings. Sometimes it is very hard to tell, but it certainly was not in that playoff game.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certainly not absolving RG3 of any blame in this or other matters & he certainly has his faults. However - in regards to the Seahawks game it was clear that RG3 needed to be taken out of the game much earlier. Again - anyone who watched that game could see that. I have had numerous non-Redskins fans tell me that they believe what Shanahan did in that situation was unforgivable.

Numerous NFL players lie about injuries & try to cover things up to play despite injuries. It is up to the coach, doctors, etc to do the right thing in spite of the players' feelings. Sometimes it is very hard to tell, but it certainly was not in that playoff game.

i agree:agree: shanny blew that and everything snowballed from there

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a real problem with this especially as it relates to the Seahawks playoff game. Anyone who can see could tell that RG3 needed to be removed from that game well before the play which injured him more & forced him to exit the game. I don't care what the player says - this just seems wrong on the part of Shanahan & he should own up to it. He just strikes me as a guy who never takes responsibility for anything.

NOt really disagreeing here, but Shanahan was in a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation there. Lets assume for a second he did as you suggest and pull Bob for his own good... and we lose the game. Knowing what we know of his personality now, do you really doubt the campaign to get rid of Shanahan would have changed any?? More to the point, do you thing Griffin would not have thrown subtle shots like well coach says he pulled me to prevent injury, but I feel we would have won that game if I had stayed in. As much as he is damned for the action, Shanahan had no 100% correct choice, because short of winning the game and going on to the Super Bowl win, the relationship was doomed well before the final injury I think.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOt really disagreeing here, but Shanahan was in a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation there. Lets assume for a second he did as you suggest and pull Bob for his own good... and we lose the game. Knowing what we know of his personality now, do you really doubt the campaign to get rid of Shanahan would have changed any?? More to the point, do you thing Griffin would not have thrown subtle shots like well coach says he pulled me to prevent injury, but I feel we would have won that game if I had stayed in. As much as he is damned for the action, Shanahan had no 100% correct choice, because short of winning the game and going on to the Super Bowl win, the relationship was doomed well before the final injury I think.
He was between a rock and a hard place. But thats when you do what YOU think is right, damn anyone else. We all saw that Griffin was injured and ineffective. Griffin would have thrown a tantrum in his own way. Imagine if he pulled him and Cousins won the game? That might have sent Griffin over the edge.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you pull Rg3 , and the ACL doesnt happen then perhaps the hole narrative of what plays are run doesnt happen in the 1st place

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you pull Rg3 , and the ACL doesnt happen then perhaps the hole narrative of what plays are run doesnt happen in the 1st place
It's my understanding that the play issue had nothing to do with his injury and more to do with his belief that a running QB could never be a great QB.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that's how I see it too. I actually tend to believe most of that interview because it only backs up stories we have heard before.

There is no doubt Shanny should have pulled Griffin against Seattle. But we are totally discounting the shit storm that would have followed. And let's not forget the player constantly lied to the coach about his injury, then threw him under the bus when he got hurt. And let's also not forget how Griffin forced himself back into the game against Baltimore, or how bent he got when he was benched the following week against Cleveland even though it was a 2 week injury minimum. Had Shanny pulled Griffin in a close playoff game he would have run to the owner and the relationship would have been over.

The move to go to an established coach and demand plays be taken out of the playbook was a punk ass move done only by a player who has been enabled by the owner. Anyone ready to dispute this?

You guys can put all of the blame on Shanny for his results if you would like. Me? I've seen what took place before he got here and after he left to know better.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't have summarized my thoughts better myself. Shanahan is by no means an innocent victim, but he was put in a situation between Divas that was lose/lose. So I asked this question before and got no answers, so I'll ask again. IF a strong willed, Super Bowl winning coach couldn't succeed in this environment, how the hell are guys like Scot or Jay supposed to manage it? Moreover, Who really thinks that Jays announcement about RG3 being the starter going into camp was his idea?