• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Several assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the FBI says that the universities are the victims because of the money the Universities are being defrauded. But, the same universities that are victims of these crimes are also the same universities that will be penalized significantly if death penalties get handed out. Not sure how I feel about the way this situation should be handled.

Obviously, I think the coaching staffs that were in place during the time of the infractions should not be allowed to coach. But, I'm not sure how I feel about penalties affecting universities down the road.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the FBI says that the universities are the victims because of the money the Universities are being defrauded. But, the same universities that are victims of these crimes are also the same universities that will be penalized significantly if death penalties get handed out. Not sure how I feel about the way this situation should be handled.

Obviously, I think the coaching staffs that were in place during the time of the infractions should not be allowed to coach. But, I'm not sure how I feel about penalties affecting universities down the road.

So you have assistant coaches at the universities caught on camera throwing 6 figures at kids so they'd attend their schools and sign up with a certain agent, an you're hesitant on extremely harsh punishment by the NCAA?

If it were up to me they'd just drop the horse and pony show and let shoe companies flat out pay them. If it's worth 100k under the table it's probably worth a bit more over the table. But given how outrageous this is and if the NCAA is going to pretend to provide some oversight then yes, extremely harsh penalties are warranted.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's always been the problem. It's not illegal to give a kid money to have him endorse a product. They put kids in commercials all the time. It's not illegal to give a kid money for sports, baseball players turn pro at 18 all the time, so do hockey, boxing tennis etc. Tennis players (especially women errrr girls) consistently turn pro AND receive endorsements/shoe deals all the time before they even turn 18. It's also not illegal for financial advisors to court future clients. If I walked into a financial advisors office today and showed him my winning lottery ticket but said i needed $50,000 to tie up loose ends before i could claim it, you can bet im leaving with a check for 50 grand. Maybe not from Merrill Lynch or Prudential, but I could find somebody ambitious enough somewhere.

Yes, the NCAA has a TON of political and financial power, and they have agreements in place with their major rivals. When the NCAA can combine their political, PR, and financial powers with both the NFL and the NBA they have managed to pass some laws to help protect their monopolies. And it's always been at the detriment of their own athletes who they are supposed to represent, but instead they exploit.

So there are some laws in place, but it will always be the NCAA that hands down the stiffest penalties. They have too much of a vested interest not to.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just did a search to get more info. Apparently he tweeted(then deleted) saying he has re-opened his recruitment. The funny part is, is that he never committed to Arizona in the first place. Really, really strange stuff.
Death penalty

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_mkbyozYhKw1qgvdf9o1_250.gif

200_s.gif

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always been the problem. It's not illegal to give a kid money to have him endorse a product. They put kids in commercials all the time. It's not illegal to give a kid money for sports, baseball players turn pro at 18 all the time, so do hockey, boxing tennis etc. Tennis players (especially women errrr girls) consistently turn pro AND receive endorsements/shoe deals all the time before they even turn 18. It's also not illegal for financial advisors to court future clients. If I walked into a financial advisors office today and showed him my winning lottery ticket but said i needed $50,000 to tie up loose ends before i could claim it, you can bet im leaving with a check for 50 grand. Maybe not from Merrill Lynch or Prudential, but I could find somebody ambitious enough somewhere.

Yes, the NCAA has a TON of political and financial power, and they have agreements in place with their major rivals. When the NCAA can combine their political, PR, and financial powers with both the NFL and the NBA they have managed to pass some laws to help protect their monopolies. And it's always been at the detriment of their own athletes who they are supposed to represent, but instead they exploit.

So there are some laws in place, but it will always be the NCAA that hands down the stiffest penalties. They have too much of a vested interest not to.

Yeah I guess that's what i'm interested by.

What's the difference between bribery and a referral program? Or a "sales consultant" who has his own personal relationships with a business owner's target market?

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't offended i was just wondering what made you think they werent a decent team is all..

I think Florida is an excellent program. They represent the SEC well across the board and arguably better than any other team (they're really good at a lot of sports :thumb:) in the conference from top to bottom.

Again, I read it that they were the only team that represented the conference well.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5* EJ Montgomery has decommitted from Auburn.

So it begins..

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is basically the end of Pitino.

While he doesn't have the aura of a Dean Smith or Coach K, this is still a HOF coach that is about to go down in flames. Its absolutely well deserved.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I'm glad slick Rick is finally getting what he deserves a little bit of me is worried on whether or not Louisville looks to hire Richard Pitino as his replacement.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I'm glad slick Rick is finally getting what he deserves a little bit of me is worried on whether or not Louisville looks to hire Richard Pitino as his replacement.

Louisville's probably going to get hit hard by the NCAA, there is no way Richard Pitino would want any part of that. Also, Louisville is going to fire his dad. He's not going to go to a place that fired his father.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that cheating bought us the 9th rated class in the Big 12 last year.

Great job guys!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the FBI says that the universities are the victims because of the money the Universities are being defrauded. But, the same universities that are victims of these crimes are also the same universities that will be penalized significantly if death penalties get handed out. Not sure how I feel about the way this situation should be handled.

Interesting point.