• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Sept. 25 vs. San Francisco

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people going to start making game threads on Sunday right after the previous game now?

Who'd care if they did? Are we not supposed to talk about the game til Sunday?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd just be happy if they would invest more in the damned line instead of backup QB's. Seattle has the second lowest payroll spent on O line in the league and it shows.

It's a bit like trying to put Mario Andretti behind the wheel of a yugo and expecting him to still win a race.

It's one area that Schneider doesn't get enough criticism in and it's ultimately to likely cost the Hawks a real chance at a Super Bowl this year.

It's fine if you want to invest your cap in the area of the team that you feel is your strength but you better be good at drafting in the areas that you aren't investing in and when it comes to the O-line it's an area of weakness of Schneider's.

Which is sorta a surprise to me because typically teams that want to rely on great defenses typically want strong offensive lines so they can pound the ball and control the clock.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it schneider or cable? They have basically picked the guys he wanted, so far as we know they arent drafting players he doesnt want and the failed idea of converting DL to OL is his grand master plan

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early Game thread = Bad KARMA! don't think Karma exists? Then you have not been paying attention lol.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like someone is mad they were beaten to the punch. :)

psssh not even, i don't do game threads. I let others do that and i have no desire to start one BUT see my above post, Bad Karma.

If we lose to the Whiners then we all know who to blame :P lol

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think hawks will win but it wouldn't surprise me if they lost either. It will be a very close game. No blowouts or anything like that. Home field advantage helps but I really worry that these offensive line problems are going to be a common theme this season more so than last year. Looking at how tough the schedule is this year, there is very little room for failure. Hawks are gonna have to go 8-0 at home in order to make playoffs.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early Game thread = Bad KARMA! don't think Karma exists? Then you have not been paying attention lol.

Pffft, you guys are already tempting the karma gods due to not putting ***MUST WIN*** in the game threads [/KFFL in-joke]

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a lot easier to know who to point the finger to in terms of blame we don't know if its cable saying "hey guys no need to spend a ton on the OL I can make a descent OL man out of anyone just let me coach them" or if its JS telling cable "hey we aren't spending anything on the OL go figure it out"

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A concern in my eyes is the running back position, I believe that we looked intimidating when we had Lynch and teams would gameplan all week to stop the run. Now I am sure that nobody is worried about Thomas Rawls or Christine Michael I promise you that they are looking to stop the passing game with Wilson and Baldwin. Nobody is worried about Jimmy Graham or the run game, teams are zeroing in on Russell Wilson

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a lot easier to know who to point the finger to in terms of blame we don't know if its cable saying "hey guys no need to spend a ton on the OL I can make a descent OL man out of anyone just let me coach them" or if its JS telling cable "hey we aren't spending anything on the OL go figure it out"

We know its cable, he has input on every OL drafted and we take the guys he wants. Its been that way since the beginning. Its not in question.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bunch of bullshit Cable gives lip service after every draft about how they drafted the guys he wants but he is NOT picking players. Most teams, the HC has very little input in personnel, the OC has even less, and assistant coaches have none.

Coaches simply do not have time to scout, their job is to train the players they have. Scouts and GMs are the ones picking players. If you think that Cable has any more than just light input in who they draft you are mistaken. Lol, I can't believe how many fans think that the Oline coach is making picks in the war room :L. I know it fits the narrative that he's ruining the team but it's not reality

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bunch of bullshit Cable gives lip service after every draft about how they drafted the guys he wants but he is NOT picking players. Most teams, the HC has very little input in personnel, the OC has even less, and assistant coaches have none.

Coaches simply do not have time to scout, their job is to train the players they have. Scouts and GMs are the ones picking players. If you think that Cable has any more than just light input in who they draft you are mistaken. Lol, I can't believe how many fans think that the Oline coach is making picks in the war room :L. I know it fits the narrative that he's ruining the team but it's not reality

That's the easiest way out. The low hanging fruit logically. If you DON'T put it on Cable, then you have to put it on John/Pete, and then, well I guess we just got lucky the last five years. House of cards...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So then its not Cables fault its JS and the scouts?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny, you are full of shit. Cable is in the war room jumping around like a clown when we picked trash like carpenter.

He picks the OL he wants, its a fact.

Picking DL to flip to OL is his brainchild. As we all know, college doesnt make good linemen any more so sayeth genius tom cable.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny, you are full of shit. Cable is in the war room jumping around like a clown when we picked trash like carpenter.

Picking DL to flip to OL is his brainchild. As we all know, college doesnt make good linemen any more so sayeth genius tom cable.

He's not allowed to like one of Schneiders picks?

He probably does have some influence in the 7th round but if you think that he's making decisions outside of Schneiders draft board then you simply have no comprehension of how the draft works. I get it, you don't like Cable. But giving the GM a pass on the level of talent assembled there is straight up ignorant.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My :2cents: worth is that from JS to Pete to Cable they all like OL that are physical and like to fire off the line and really hit someone. There was a time I put it all on Cable, because while JS and scouts come up with a list of players, Cable personally works out the prospects and gives his stamp of approval. However after listening to Pete and JS talk about what they like in a OL and look for, I realized that the whole organization is on the same page about the OL. They just didn't hit on exceptional talent early on.

Despite what we are seeing the first two games and likely the next two, I think the Seahawks are on the right track. Glowinski, Britt( hard to believe, I know) and Ifedi are going to be a solid group once they all get on the field together and get some much needed reps. Tackles....well they are going to need some help, thus the TE staying in to block. Hopefully Gilliam can step it up to the level he played in the second half of last season. Think the surgery set him back, even though it was routine, he missed a lot of camp and he's not experienced enough or talented enough to not put in the work.

I think the Seahawks are going to struggle offensively until the bye week. Not only because of the OL, but RW ankle, Rawls getting back to his level last year ( Seahawks really need him to do that ). So hopefully the defense can carry the load and the offense does enough to pull out wins the next couple of games. After the bye I'm optimistic about the offense revving up and playing much better.
In the mean time I expect much gnashing of teeth, posts demanding heads to rolls, arm chair experts telling us the proper way to run this offense and so on and so forth. :nod:

I read these threads waivering between amusement and annoyance, but it's all good and it's all typical for sports fans. :suds:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cable like a lot of assistant coaches for all teams will have some input on prospects in the draft process but the GM is the trigger man and he and his scouts are doing the lions share of film study so it's on him to make the correct choice.

So if he's picking guys that Cable likes it's because he likes them as well or he would've stopped listening to Cable a while ago.

When it comes to the Hawks and the offensive line their problem hasn't been only that they haven't been great at drafting the O-Line but they've traded away pieces that could've been used to bolster the offensive line.

2013 the Harvin trade cost a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder and the Jimmy Graham trade cost Unger and a 1st rounder. How much better would the O-line potentially would be today if they kept Unger and used a couple of those picks on the O-line?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why college football not producing the kind of players NFL wants

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/02/25/offensive-linemen-combine/80918122/

Bruce Arians on college OL: 'They're just not fundamentally ready'

Young offensive linemen not entering league NFL ready

PRO vs. COLLEGE

The NFL Isn’t Ready for the Spread Offense

College Linemen not ready for NFL | CPND

It's not that colleges don't produce good linemen anymore. Colleges still produce good offensive linemen, but with the continued rise of the spread offense in college football, they're not producing linemen that are used to playing in pro-style offenses as much as they used to, so even the best offensive linemen aren't as NFL ready as they used to be. This isn't just Tom Cable messing around for the hell of it and blaming it on a lack of quality offensive linemen coming out of college. This is increasingly becoming a league wide issue.

In that sense, I can see why it would be tempting to take defensive linemen and convert them into offensive linemen. They haven't spent 3+ years learning blocking techniques suited for the spread offense, which should, theoretically at least, make it easier to teach techniques suited to pro-style offenses without having to overcome the muscle memory that comes with doing something a certain way for years. Obviously it doesn't always work out, but unless/until NFL teams start to become more willing to adopt the spread offense, I think you're going to see more defensive linemen get converted or else you're going to see more offensive linemen have trouble adjusting to pro-style offenses as quickly as they used to before the spread offense became almost the default offense in college football.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 the Harvin trade cost a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder and the Jimmy Graham trade cost Unger and a 1st rounder. How much better would the O-line potentially would be today if they kept Unger and used a couple of those picks on the O-line?

Speaking to the first trade, obviously a big mistake. Think the Seahawks figured they could assimilate Harvin into the offense, but under estimated what a troubled personality Harvin was ( personally think he was crazy ). I also felt it was a bit odd to go trade for a player that cost picks and a lot of $ and really didn't have the track record to gamble like that, but hey, Pete and JS had found some real unpolished gems so ............. :shrug:

The second trade I was a fan of....at first. Figured Unger body seemed to be breaking down and what a red zone target Graham could be. Besides the Seahawks could cut him without a financial penalty, so looked to me to be worth the risk. Hasn't worked out so far and to be honest I'm surprised he's still with the team, I some time suspect they feel they can build up his value and maybe trade him or find a way to make this work. They sure could of used the $ they are paying him to sign a OT this off season, but have to give the Seahawks the benefit of the doubt here and :hope: hope it works out at the end.

However it works out, I'm not going to complain ( at least not too much, I hope ) about it, because nothing ventured, nothing gained. Not ever personnel decision is going to work, the important thing is that enough of them do, to keep the team a Super Bowl contender. So far I got no complaints on that score.

Last edited: