• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Sept. 25 vs. San Francisco

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another week with a division rival. I think it's safe to say that the main concern will be our O-line and whether or not it can get beefed up, or to say the least, teach the scrubs some new plays so that they can step up their game.

Sure, a lot of focus was on Wilson's gameplay, especially his ankle issues, but if the line would only do their job, then he wouldn't have to worry so much.

In any case, the thread starts here.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people going to start making game threads on Sunday right after the previous game now? lmao

For some reason this feels like a ME FIRST ME FIRST thing from a 5 year old trying to get in the front of the line. :pound:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Watched both 9er games and a fair amount of both Hawks game and here's how I feel about the game going into Sunday and how each team can win.

Why The Seahawks Will Win:

-Defense. Seattle's defense is still one of the tops in the league and the 9ers have arguably the worst QB and receiving corp in the league. To beat Seattle's defense you need receivers that can get open enough to give their QB a chance to drop an accurate throw and 9ers simply don't have any of that. Seattle can just load the box to stop Hyde and dare Gabbert to beat them

-Offensively it won't be a get well game for them as I feel the 9ers D is on the underrated side but Seattle's D should keep the score low enough and the offense should be able to squeak out enough plays to win the game.

Why The 9ers Will Win:

-With Wilson's mobility limited and the offensive line having major struggles the 9ers defense can stifle the offense and cause of repeat of last week's game against the Rams and keep them in that 10 and under range. The 9ers run a complex scheme with a lot of people lined up in different spots and blitzers coming from all angles which doesn't bode will for a QB that can't move as well and a struggling offensive line that doesn't have cohesiveness yet.

-Even though Gabbert is bad overall he does flash a few times in a game and makes some top tier QB plays. He just quickly ruins it by following it up with balls into the turf or balls 5 feet above people's head. So if the 9er D keeps the score low Gabbert could make just a couple big enough plays to edge them enough in the score. Also to note the offensive line is much improved over last season and it's held it's own against two of the toughest front 7s in football with the Rams and Carolina.

With all that said if I had to put serious money on it I would pick the Seahawks to win with them being home following a loss and I feel they'll get it together enough to pull out a win.

I wouldn't be shocked with a 9ers win considering the state of Seattle's offense especially the offensive line and while the 9ers aren't a good team I don't think they are as horrible as the national sports media talking head make them out to be.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say @Jikkle All last week they said Wilson's ankle was fine and he had no problems. Then he plays and it's glaring how hobbled he is and how bad his throws were without being able to properly plant his feet. Now they say he looks way ahead of where he was last week at this time, you know when he was fine to begin with. :L

In other words, we aren't going to know how much his mobility is still an issue until we see him move around on Sunday. It will be a key to the game. That line isn't going to magically get better this week so they need him to be able to extend plays and work around their ineptitude.

Still, it's the Clink and they have a long history with this group of finding ways to win even very ugly games in the safe confines of their humble abode.

Glad to see the 9'ers back with a pulse again. Love a solid rivalry and miss not having that back and forth the last couple of seasons.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people going to start making game threads on Sunday right after the previous game now? lmao

For some reason this feels like a ME FIRST ME FIRST thing from a 5 year old trying to get in the front of the line. :pound:
Sounds like someone is mad they were beaten to the punch. :)

/////

Anyway, to me this one is pretty clear. Much like how we have a tough time vs the Rams, the Niners haven't been very good against us in a while. This week I've seen fans (not necessarily in here but other places) say they aren't just overreacting to the Rams loss, but.....(then proceed to say things that sound an awful lot like overreaction to the annual Rams loss).

Lots of criticism on the O, and much of it deserved, but in the last game Graham played over 80-something % of the snaps from what I heard and his catches were up from 1 to 3. Tyler Lockett got going as well. The OPIs were killers. This morning I heard on the radio someone say a team usually has about 3 (OPI) on average for a whole season....and we had 3 in one game. Outliers like that always grab my attention. And yeah the line has been bad and the running game has been marginalized, but Michael is averaging 5 ypc, which is about 4 more than the rest of the team.

SF doesn't have anyone up front on D in the ballpark of Suh or Donald. It's so predictable to me that we'll make a big jump in OL play and overall offense this week. D is holding serve as the stingiest in the league. Should be a big W.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I enjoy doing the game threads, and doing my little pregame write ups that I do, but I refuse to do them earlier than the morning of the game. It irritates me when people put a game thread 3-4-5 days before a game - but since I know that I am OCD when it comes to things like this (it's one of my many mental issues :rofl:), I don't usually say anything about it - since, I know that just because it isn't how I think it should be done, doesn't mean that it can't be done that way.

Personally, I would have created a thread just for the lead up to the game, then a game thread just for the game, but to each their own. Sunday morning, I will put up my write up, and it'll fall on this thread wherever it lands.

Now, for the game. The 49ers don't have the offense to come into Seattle and put up a lot of points. The last time the scored 20 on Seattle was week 1 of 2011 (the infamous Ted Ginn game), and it was 2008 since the last time the 9ers scored that many in Seattle. I just can't see the 9er offense being good enough to put that many points up on Sunday. The real question is whether the Seahawks offense will show up - which really means, how good will Russell's ankle be.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(it's one of my many mental issues :rofl:),

Dude, you are posting on a SportsHoopla forum. It's like Thanksgiving with the family..... there are none of us posting here that don't have mental issues! :suds:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers DL isn't as good as the Rams or Dolphins those were the two teams I was worried about starting the season off maybe the jets next week. I am still not confident in us running the ball. It will be interesting to see how this defense will play against the 49ers offense it seems like they are not shy about throwing the football

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say @Jikkle All last week they said Wilson's ankle was fine and he had no problems. Then he plays and it's glaring how hobbled he is and how bad his throws were without being able to properly plant his feet. Now they say he looks way ahead of where he was last week at this time, you know when he was fine to begin with. :L

In other words, we aren't going to know how much his mobility is still an issue until we see him move around on Sunday. It will be a key to the game. That line isn't going to magically get better this week so they need him to be able to extend plays and work around their ineptitude.

Still, it's the Clink and they have a long history with this group of finding ways to win even very ugly games in the safe confines of their humble abode.

Glad to see the 9'ers back with a pulse again. Love a solid rivalry and miss not having that back and forth the last couple of seasons.

I would be leery of trusting anybody saying a player is looking good on a high ankle sprain. Those take time and the fact that he is still practicing and played a game on it just slows down the healing process all the more. Even on the optimistic side high ankle sprains to be back to full participation in most sports takes about 6 weeks. And that is with a player sitting out and doing mostly rehab during that time or limited full exertion work. So my guess is this will be something that will bother him most of the season. He can play with it but there will be some limitations that haven't been there in the past. This is one of those injuries that it is just hard to know whether it is smart to give a player a few weeks of no practice and sitting out games to let it heal quicker or go ahead and play them but the healing process be slowed.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be leery of trusting anybody saying a player is looking good on a high ankle sprain. Those take time and the fact that he is still practicing and played a game on it just slows down the healing process all the more. Even on the optimistic side high ankle sprains to be back to full participation in most sports takes about 6 weeks. And that is with a player sitting out and doing mostly rehab during that time or limited full exertion work. So my guess is this will be something that will bother him most of the season. He can play with it but there will be some limitations that haven't been there in the past. This is one of those injuries that it is just hard to know whether it is smart to give a player a few weeks of no practice and sitting out games to let it heal quicker or go ahead and play them but the healing process be slowed.
Problem is Jackson smacked his wife around and got booted from the team and they rolled the dice keeping Boykin as the backup to Wilson knowing he hasn't ever missed a game in his career yet. Big risk to take and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass big time. They obviously have no faith in Boykin's ability to at least keep them in a game and hope their defense can do enough to win it. If they did Wilson would be sitting out.

This is all on John and Pete and they better hope their luck improves because if Wilson ends up more hurt or having lingering issues and it costs them more losses over a longer stretch it will destroy this season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is Jackson smacked his wife around and got booted from the team and they rolled the dice keeping Boykin as the backup to Wilson knowing he hasn't ever missed a game in his career yet. Big risk to take and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass big time. They obviously have no faith in Boykin's ability to at least keep them in a game and hope their defense can do enough to win it. If they did Wilson would be sitting out.

This is all on John and Pete and they better hope their luck improves because if Wilson ends up more hurt or having lingering issues and it costs them more losses over a longer stretch it will destroy this season.

Yeah not an easy spot to be put in for sure. Just terrible timing with the one season where you don't have an ok back up that can maybe do some spot duty for a couple of games to give Wilson the rest he needs and to have such a young OL in front of him that obviously is having some struggles early on this year. I don't know what the solution is. I'm not saying throw this season but if it were me I would give him a couple of weeks off and just hope that our defense can keep us in the season long enough that Wilson can come back stronger and then carry some of the load as the season progresses. Much more important to have a fully healthy Wilson at the end of the year than here at the beginning. Every game matters but a 70% Wilson in the playoffs isn't going to get you where you want to go.

Honestly anymore with how many starting QB's are going down with injuries I do think we are seeing teams trying to invest a bit more in the back up QB. Over half the teams had a back up QB start at least 1 game last year. So at least 50% chance you are going to have to depend on that back up at some point.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just be happy if they would invest more in the damned line instead of backup QB's. Seattle has the second lowest payroll spent on O line in the league and it shows.

It's a bit like trying to put Mario Andretti behind the wheel of a yugo and expecting him to still win a race.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just be happy if they would invest more in the damned line instead of backup QB's. Seattle has the second lowest payroll spent on O line in the league and it shows.

It's a bit like trying to put Mario Andretti behind the wheel of a yugo and expecting him to still win a race.

Kind of how that goes. Where your money is at is where the priority is. I think our 2 teams have 2 of the highest payrolls on the defensive side of the ball. So we have won our games on the back of the defense. Offensively you guys put your money towards your QB and a few weapons like Baldwin and Graham. Broncos because they didn't invest in Osweiler had money to put towards the OL but that also means we have to be ok with our QB situation being very young and prone to huge mistakes that could cost us a few games this year. This is what you have to love and hate about the NFL in that with the Cap every team in the league, even the best ones, will have a weakness because there is only so much money to go around. You have to depend on some young guys to be more than what they most likely will be. Or that your strengths can overcome your weaknesses.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, I think people have engaged in some selective memory when it comes to Jackson. It's not like he was nails as a starter. Most of his cachet in that time came from doing what Russ is doing now, playing through a painful injury himself (the pec tear).

I'd suggest that even with Tarvaris still on the squad, they probably start Wilson game two.

Also, there's HUUUUGE gradiations in high ankle sprains. I did mine where I tried to jump in the air falling, and brought my entire weight down on the ankle, my leg folded over to the floor, while my foot went the other way.

Doctor said it'd have been better if the bone broke.

Russ's was not even in that ballpark. It wasn't a 'walk it off' sprain either, but somewhere in between.

So there's a combination of how much the ligaments were stretched and how high Russ's pain tolerance is.

If there was structural damage, and playing on it was making that worse, Boykin would be playing and/or we'd have dealt for a veteran backup.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game matters but a 70% Wilson in the playoffs isn't going to get you where you want to go.

I dunno, you guys managed to win with 40% Manning. :)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of how that goes. Where your money is at is where the priority is. I think our 2 teams have 2 of the highest payrolls on the defensive side of the ball. So we have won our games on the back of the defense. Offensively you guys put your money towards your QB and a few weapons like Baldwin and Graham. Broncos because they didn't invest in Osweiler had money to put towards the OL but that also means we have to be ok with our QB situation being very young and prone to huge mistakes that could cost us a few games this year. This is what you have to love and hate about the NFL in that with the Cap every team in the league, even the best ones, will have a weakness because there is only so much money to go around. You have to depend on some young guys to be more than what they most likely will be. Or that your strengths can overcome your weaknesses.

<golf clap>

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, you guys managed to win with 40% Manning. :)

Haha good point. Not sure I would depend on that kind of thing happening on a regular basis.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I think people have engaged in some selective memory when it comes to Jackson. It's not like he was nails as a starter. Most of his cachet in that time came from doing what Russ is doing now, playing through a painful injury himself (the pec tear).

I'd suggest that even with Tarvaris still on the squad, they probably start Wilson game two.

Also, there's HUUUUGE gradiations in high ankle sprains. I did mine where I tried to jump in the air falling, and brought my entire weight down on the ankle, my leg folded over to the floor, while my foot went the other way.

Doctor said it'd have been better if the bone broke.

Russ's was not even in that ballpark. It wasn't a 'walk it off' sprain either, but somewhere in between.

So there's a combination of how much the ligaments were stretched and how high Russ's pain tolerance is.

If there was structural damage, and playing on it was making that worse, Boykin would be playing and/or we'd have dealt for a veteran backup.

Even minor high ankle sprains though can take 6 weeks to fully heal and that is with not going and trying to play an NFL game every Sunday. They usually recommend a 3 stage process for healing a high ankle sprain. The first is they want you off of it for an entire week. This is when you see a lot of ice and anti-inflammatory medications present to help in the healing process. Second phase depending on the severity is usually about a 2 week process where you work to restore range of motion and build back some of the strength. 3rd phase is you gradually work back to doing normal activities. The 3rd phase depending on the severity can take 1-2 months.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even minor high ankle sprains though can take 6 weeks to fully heal and that is with not going and trying to play an NFL game every Sunday. They usually recommend a 3 stage process for healing a high ankle sprain. The first is they want you off of it for an entire week. This is when you see a lot of ice and anti-inflammatory medications present to help in the healing process. Second phase depending on the severity is usually about a 2 week process where you work to restore range of motion and build back some of the strength. 3rd phase is you gradually work back to doing normal activities. The 3rd phase depending on the severity can take 1-2 months.

I was on crutches for months. Couldn't put weight on it at all. I remember my classmates at the time giving me the gears about being a wimp because it hadn't healed very fast. So the next day I didn't wear a sock over my foot.

Heh.

Needless to say they stopped giving me the gears.

And sure, in an ideal world, they'd give Wilson 4 games off and he'd come back shiny and new. The main point I wanted to make though, is that he's a young guy still, with a whole career ahead of him. So again, if he was risking structural damage, he'd be sitting down.

Is he slowing the full recovery by playing on it? Absolutely. But it's not an ideal world. And as much as I think Boykin has potential, he's not ready to keep them in the playoff hunt.

What worries me is him injuring it worse in another collision. Or injuring some other body part from carrying himself awkwardly (knee, back etc).

I think it's a fairly safe bet he's having the latest in oxygen therapy/blood replacement nightly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on crutches for months. Couldn't put weight on it at all. I remember my classmates at the time giving me the gears about being a wimp because it hadn't healed very fast. So the next day I didn't wear a sock over my foot.

Heh.

Needless to say they stopped giving me the gears.

And sure, in an ideal world, they'd give Wilson 4 games off and he'd come back shiny and new. The main point I wanted to make though, is that he's a young guy still, with a whole career ahead of him. So again, if he was risking structural damage, he'd be sitting down.

Is he slowing the full recovery by playing on it? Absolutely. But it's not an ideal world. And as much as I think Boykin has potential, he's not ready to keep them in the playoff hunt.

What worries me is him injuring it worse in another collision. Or injuring some other body part from carrying himself awkwardly (knee, back etc).

I think it's a fairly safe bet he's having the latest in oxygen therapy/blood replacement nightly.

I would agree with all of this. Players every year play with a wide range of injuries that most of us wouldn't dream about even trying. As long as they are not risking structural damage then he is just going to have to play through some pain. I would say like you said there is that worry about him injuring another body part. Maybe one of the top-3 things about Wilson's QB ability is his ability to escape and turn negative plays into positive ones. Does this mean because he can't do that as well that he takes more solid hits? How does the playcalling adjust? I would hope the coaches are working on some quicker 3-step type drops or be in the shotgun and quickly unload on a few more screen or quick slant type plays. Or maybe the best play would be those quick streak plays by Graham up the middle with Wilson hitting him high in between the linebacker and safety for some good yards a few times a game. Just working to protect Wilson and that OL and helping that offense to get into a bit better rhythm than what we have seen so far.