• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sen McCaskill blasts Stewps

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have gotten off track a little lol... Wasn't this about Bob Stoops pulling an Auburn? :noidea:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also fine with Missouri kicking him off the team etc. If they feel that is in their best interest, it's their right.
This is why you don't get it. Missouri kicked DGB off of the football team because they felt it was in DGB's best interests. Go read Pinkel's comments on the matter.

DGB is a 30/30 in the making because people are excusing him from the consequences his abhorrent behavior warrants.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is dumb.

She's upset because a kid who did something stupid is being given a second chance.

You guys really believe a persons entire life/career should be ruined over stuff like this? That's just wow to me.
He's a college student, He doesn't have a career yet.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious response:

If a guy who worked for some agency like MADD was to be caught in a DUI situation, he would very likely lose his job, and rightly so.

Because of the public nature of his employer, and what that employer stands for, it's a no-brainer. They cannot keep that guy on staff because his actions are opposed to the agency's goals, could possibly damage their efforts, work against what they are trying to accomplish.

The tricky part is, the NFL has never had a formal policy on certain types of behavior, including child abuse and domestic violence. Because of the public backlash and the potential loss of sponsorship revenues, they will very soon have formal policies on these things.

Colleges might adopt them sooner, or some of them may already have specific language in their student body code of conduct that they don't tolerate those things. It's probably just not always enforced uniformly.

finally, somebody mentions this

:agree:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hustlin.jpg

18518826.jpg

slapshot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this transfer happened months ago.

This senator didn't say anything until now. Wonder why that is...ooh thats right because its all over the news now with the NFL and its a great time to speak up to gain political points and guess what, She is up for election in November.

Gee, what a coincidence. She cares.

:thumb:

Hilarious. Country is nearly $18 trillion in debt, median income down $5000 dollars since 2008, our foreign policy is less understandable than a pig Latin encyclopedia, fewer jobs now than there were in 2008................and this taxpayer paid simpleton is worried about a choice of a football coach. She's worried about the Redskin name too.

:lame:

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care if :badmin:

In an op-ed piece published by USA Today pm Wednesday, Missouri senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) strongly criticized Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops for his decision to accept former Missouri wideout Dorial Green-Beckham on transfer.
Green-Beckham was dismissed in April by Gary Pinkel and the Tigers in the wake of domestic violence allegations against him -- as well as other off-field issues. The domestic violence incident did not result in charges and Green-Beckham elected to transfer to Oklahoma in July.

A "former sex crimes prosecutor," according to her brief USA Today bio, McCaskill writes that she was "stunned" when Stoops was named as one of the coaches other FBS coaches would most like their sons to play for in a recent ESPN survey.

"Stoops recently made a decision that I thought would impact his reputation among his peers," McCaskill writes. "Evidently not."

She continues:

On April 6, at 2:30 am, DGB forced his way into an apartment where he was looking for his girlfriend. He physically confronted her roommate, including using both hands to her chest to physically push her down stairs, according to the police report. His girlfriend admitted through text messages that he then dragged her from the apartment by her neck ... No criminal charges were filed because the young women refused to cooperate.

I watched to see whether another program would pick him up. Unfortunately, I didn't have to wait long. Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners welcomed him, and even petitioned the NCAA to let him play this season ... Thankfully, that request was denied, but he will be eligible to play next year, if he is not drafted by the NFL before then. None of this is particularly surprising. But for Stoops to get the most votes from his fellow coaches as the coach they wanted to influence their sons?

Unfortunately, that says it all. It is time for real leaders in the world of big-time sports to do a soul search on character.

McCaskill's op-ed appears at a time when Stoops' and Oklahoma's handling of domestic violence issues is already a topic of discussion. Sooner freshman tailback Joe Mixon will miss the 2014 season through suspension after punching a woman at bar, and linebacker Frank Shannon is also serving a year-long suspension after the school's investigation into an accusation he sexually assaulted a female victim at an off-campus apartment.

Why didn't the article concentrate on the most troubling issue of all? Thugs are gonna be thugs. If this woman was a sexual crimes prosecutor, she would be more pissed off at the women involved not cooperating with the police and taking the case further? They made the wrong decision in letting this player get off scot-free. As a result, he wasn't prosecuted, and therefore, no punishment.

You want female empowerment? They have to do some work too.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so where was her righteous indignation when Gary Pinkel was busted for DUI?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you don't get it. Missouri kicked DGB off of the football team because they felt it was in DGB's best interests. Go read Pinkel's comments on the matter.

DGB is a 30/30 in the making because people are excusing him from the consequences his abhorrent behavior warrants.

I'm not excusing him for anything is what you do not get. If he has legal troubles, then he will and should have to deal with that.

I however see no reason why kids who screw up shouldn't be allowed 2nd chances. I especially don't think a coach who gives them a 2nd chance should be berated over given it to them either. Mistakes happen, what matters is that you fix your errors.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a college student, He doesn't have a career yet.

And he isn't going to have one if it was up to many people here apparently.

If it was your kid, how would you want things to be done?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not excusing him for anything is what you do not get. If he has legal troubles, then he will and should have to deal with that.

I however see no reason why kids who screw up shouldn't be allowed 2nd chances. I especially don't think a coach who gives them a 2nd chance should be berated over given it to them either. Mistakes happen, what matters is that you fix your errors.

My main problem with the DGB thing is that it wasn't just one thing, he had multiple chances while at Mizzou to the point they had to kick him off the team. I just don't think a player should be able to be that big of a fuck up and get to transfer and play right away like nothing happened, pretty much skirting the punishment. I can't see as how that helps the player learn from their mistakes in the least imo. :noidea:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my sig. It applies to you. I didn't say you are excusing him, but you are defending the actions of those who are - at least in terms of the opinions of their colleagues.

When the "2nd chance" undermines the consequences others have determined are appropriate and allow the kid to do an end-around on the consequences, it is sending a very destructive message.

Look - we obviously disagree on this. But that's okay. You are certainly free to be wrong. :suds:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was your kid, how would you want things to be done?
Depending on where he was in his studies, he would be at home attending community college, or a four-year college close by, and he would not be participating in athletics.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main problem with the DGB thing is that it wasn't just one thing, he had multiple chances while at Mizzou to the point they had to kick him off the team. I just don't think a player should be able to be that big of a fuck up and get to transfer and play right away like nothing happened, pretty much skirting the punishment. I can't see as how that helps the player learn from their mistakes in the least imo. :noidea:

Because I figure Stoops has made it very clear he is on a very short leash. I would think being kicked off Mizzou was pretty eye opening that he is closer than a **** hair from ruining his entire future.

And worse case - if he doesn't, he will be kicked off the team again and face whatever legal troubles.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on where he was in his studies, he would be at home attending community college, or a four-year college close by, and he would not be participating in athletics.

You diverted because you can't answer the question in an honest manner. Grats, you're a pussy.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my sig. It applies to you. I didn't say you are excusing him, but you are defending the actions of those who are - at least in terms of the opinions of their colleagues.

When the "2nd chance" undermines the consequences others have determined are appropriate and allow the kid to do an end-around on the consequences, it is sending a very destructive message.

Look - we obviously disagree on this. But that's okay. You are certainly free to be wrong. :suds:

Well hey, if Gary Pinkel decided it, then by golly it must be the best solution for all involved and how dare anyone cross his judgement!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I figure Stoops has made it very clear he is on a very short leash. I would think being kicked off Mizzou was pretty eye opening that he is closer than a **** hair from ruining his entire future.

And worse case - if he doesn't, he will be kicked off the team again and face whatever legal troubles.

I could see that but I just figure actually having to sit a little while would really drive the message home. If my son did the things DGB did, there's no way I'd want him playing right now. You act right you play, you don't and you sit.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that, no doubt. according to what I've read, he is going to classes and has been doing everything the coaches have asked him to do and more. I'm also sure he knew in the back of his head he wasn't going to play this year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that but I just figure actually having to sit a little while would really drive the message home. If my son did the things DGB did, there's no way I'd want him playing right now. You act right you play, you don't and you sit.

Well I'm not sure what would be best for him exactly. I just don't agree with the notion that people should be eternally screwed for their mistakes, which seems to me to be more about vengeance than what is in his best interest.

That's what I see in much of the current goings on, people just looking for vengeance.