• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sen McCaskill blasts Stewps

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care if :badmin:

In an op-ed piece published by USA Today pm Wednesday, Missouri senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) strongly criticized Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops for his decision to accept former Missouri wideout Dorial Green-Beckham on transfer.
Green-Beckham was dismissed in April by Gary Pinkel and the Tigers in the wake of domestic violence allegations against him -- as well as other off-field issues. The domestic violence incident did not result in charges and Green-Beckham elected to transfer to Oklahoma in July.

A "former sex crimes prosecutor," according to her brief USA Today bio, McCaskill writes that she was "stunned" when Stoops was named as one of the coaches other FBS coaches would most like their sons to play for in a recent ESPN survey.

"Stoops recently made a decision that I thought would impact his reputation among his peers," McCaskill writes. "Evidently not."

She continues:

On April 6, at 2:30 am, DGB forced his way into an apartment where he was looking for his girlfriend. He physically confronted her roommate, including using both hands to her chest to physically push her down stairs, according to the police report. His girlfriend admitted through text messages that he then dragged her from the apartment by her neck ... No criminal charges were filed because the young women refused to cooperate.

I watched to see whether another program would pick him up. Unfortunately, I didn't have to wait long. Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners welcomed him, and even petitioned the NCAA to let him play this season ... Thankfully, that request was denied, but he will be eligible to play next year, if he is not drafted by the NFL before then. None of this is particularly surprising. But for Stoops to get the most votes from his fellow coaches as the coach they wanted to influence their sons?

Unfortunately, that says it all. It is time for real leaders in the world of big-time sports to do a soul search on character.

McCaskill's op-ed appears at a time when Stoops' and Oklahoma's handling of domestic violence issues is already a topic of discussion. Sooner freshman tailback Joe Mixon will miss the 2014 season through suspension after punching a woman at bar, and linebacker Frank Shannon is also serving a year-long suspension after the school's investigation into an accusation he sexually assaulted a female victim at an off-campus apartment.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already have a justice system to take care of things. People who think the justice system isn't providing enough punishment and that someone's life needs to be completely torn apart for a mistake are seriously getting on my nerves.

Where the fuck are all these perfect people who have never made a mistake in their lives? Because I've never met one. I've met plenty of assholes who think they are perfect and never make mistakes, but never met someone where that was actually the case.

Hell, I ain't perfect and apparently society thinks I deserve the death penalty for some of the stuff I've done in life. I should just go ahead and spend the rest of my life working at McDonalds.

And no, I'm not just talking about this one issue. I'm talking about the way sports has been as a whole for the past 3 weeks. Bunch of hating assholes - all of you. Get some fucking perspective on life and quit pretending that every little thing that happens in the world is somehow the biggest fucking wrong ever.

Let them learn from their mistakes, hope they become better people as a result and quit trying to wreck shit for your own pathetic amusement. If you are that hard up for reasons to feel better about yourself, MTV has an entire reality show lineup that should be right up your ally.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Catfish is on, brb.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Selling drugs and hitting woman are mistakes. Got to be honest those aren't mistakes I have made. I Think it is you that needs to check his priorities. A lot of these kids could never attend their universities without football and they get more chances at redemption than normal students.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt if he'll ever play for Oklahoma.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dumb ****.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this transfer happened months ago.

This senator didn't say anything until now. Wonder why that is...ooh thats right because its all over the news now with the NFL and its a great time to speak up to gain political points and guess what, She is up for election in November.

Gee, what a coincidence. She cares.

:thumb:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's just mad that we own Missouri 66-25-5.
Get over it Bitch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, probably not. Gonna get drafted and then become Oakland's problem.

Not sure about that anymore. NFL is having a really bad week. Sponsors are upset and the press is all over them, you might see people shy away from kids with this kind of history for awhile

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Selling drugs and hitting woman are mistakes. Got to be honest those aren't mistakes I have made. I Think it is you that needs to check his priorities. A lot of these kids could never attend their universities without football and they get more chances at redemption than normal students.

^^^THIS^^^

There is a difference between mistakes and crimes. Mistakes are why pencils have erasers. Crimes are why cities have jails.

Having said that, I don't really have a problem with a kid getting a second chance. Once the legal system is done with him, if a school wants to give him an opportunity to show that he's learned his lesson, that's shouldn't be a problem.

Plus, it's probably a pretty safe bet that Stoops has laid out, in no uncertain terms, everything that is expected of him and just how short his leash likely is.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This senator didn't say anything until now. Wonder why that is...ooh thats right because its all over the news now with the NFL and its a great time to speak up to gain political points and guess what, She is up for election in November.

Nah, that doesn't seem right...

She's just mad that we own Missouri 66-25-5.
Get over it Bitch.

BINGO

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about that anymore. NFL is having a really bad week. Sponsors are upset and the press is all over them, you might see people shy away from kids with this kind of history for awhile

Good point. And this is why everyone wants to jump on the wagon at the moment, it's fresh on everyone's minds and people's opinions are emotionally motivated.

I'm a very cynical individual, and I can see the NFL turning this around and becoming big "supporters" of domestic abuse prevention and awareness, like they did with breast cancer - but only because it's a good business decision and not because they really care about women's issues.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this
100%

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

doesn't really change anything though

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is why we have a legal system. I've never been to jail for domestic violence or anything violent. But I'm not going to pretend like that means it's the worst thing in the world.

What do you mean more redemption than normal students? Most kids have legal problems during these ages, taking away their good options in life is somehow supposed to fix things how? Usually it's just get a lawyer, deal with your problem and that is the end of it.

If they are a danger to society or whatever, once again - legal system. Or in the case of sexual things like r*pe on campus, I can understand a kid being banned from campus or whatever. In the case of athletes if they are causing problems with the team itself.

But most of this crap is just people being on a witch hunt. It's like 1 huge giant lynch mob.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. And this is why everyone wants to jump on the wagon at the moment, it's fresh on everyone's minds and people's opinions are emotionally motivated.

I'm a very cynical individual, and I can see the NFL turning this around and becoming big "supporters" of domestic abuse prevention and awareness, like they did with breast cancer - but only because it's a good business decision and not because they really care about women's issues.

Very true, but college fans are no different. They like these kids and feign moral high ground at anyone that points a finger. They are all full of shit, but sometimes the message can be right even if the motivation isnt. It's most certainly a publicity grab, but there is a lot of truth in the words

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is dumb.

She's upset because a kid who did something stupid is being given a second chance.

You guys really believe a persons entire life/career should be ruined over stuff like this? That's just wow to me.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why we have a legal system. I've never been to jail for domestic violence or anything violent. But I'm not going to pretend like that means it's the worst thing in the world.

What do you mean more redemption than normal students? Most kids have legal problems during these ages, taking away their good options in life is somehow supposed to fix things how? Usually it's just get a lawyer, deal with your problem and that is the end of it.

If they are a danger to society or whatever, once again - legal system. Or in the case of sexual things like r*pe on campus, I can understand a kid being banned from campus or whatever. In the case of athletes if they are causing problems with the team itself.

But most of this crap is just people being on a witch hunt. It's like 1 huge giant lynch mob.

I don't buy the witch hunt. Coaches don't throw kids this talented off for with hunts. They get paid millions to win. Not all cases, but most of the incidents get buried. You generally aren't talking about 1 or 2 incidents when it gets this far. As for the normal student comment, when normal kids get in trouble they thrown out or sent home for a semester.