• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second-half launch, July 17-19 @ Yankees

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most definitely agree with the first paragraph, the Mariners can't develop crap. They've only home grown Seager and at best he is A. A fringe all star B. Showed what's wrong with the organization when there was zero plan of him being a big leaguer until he just destroyed the minors so they switched him to 3B.

And I completely get your point of view with payroll but payroll wasn't an issue until Jack blew it. They weren't ever a top payroll team but $100 million payroll in the 2000 decade is more than enough to at least be a playoff contender and he was touted as the guru who help build the small market Brewers into a playoff caliber team. I just completely disagree with his assembling of the franchise with almost every year having 40% plus of payroll on a fraction the 25 man roster.

I agree putting the majority of your payroll into 2-4 players isn't the correct way to build a team and to be honest I don't solely blame Jack Z for all of that, I put a lot of blame on Howie and Chuckie for that. Because they care more about butts in the seats than banners in the rafters. I honestly believe that is why Ichiro was around for so long and probably why he will be a Mariner again before its all said and done, probably why Felix will be a career Mariner no matter the cost, its why Cano gets a monster 10 year contract, its why Edgar is the hitting coach, its why Griffey was brought back......

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ship has long since sailed on making a run to the post season, but what are the odds this crap team can still ever see .500? 70 games left and right now only 19 are against teams with a winning record. I'm skeptical that they can reach that mark even with that schedule, but they should make up some ground at some point.

I actually think its possible for them to get back to .500. Not likely but possible. Depending on what kind of dumb shit Jack Z tries at the deadline.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup, agreed seattlecoug

Just to add another point... These issues are not rocket science they are straight forward obvious weaknesses that a Major League baseball exec. should be able to identify.

On your catching point: This has been something that has pissed me off for awhile about this team and more so than a lot of the other issues. Zunino was a top tier prospect when drafted and the Mariners are forcing him to work out minor league issues at the major league level, as they have done with players in the past. That is not what the majors are for! Absolute terrible player development. Outside of a select few catchers the catching position doesn't have many big bats, I get that, but it is ridiculous to have this awful of production from any one position on a major league baseball team.

Terrible player development is an understatement. Zunino spent merely 96 games in the major leagues. That is stunning.

Seldom do you find a "top prospect" who spent less than 100 games in the minors. I'd actually be interested to see a list of major league players with the least amount of games played in the majors, I wouldn't be surprised if Zunino is near the top of that list.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible player development is an understatement. Zunino spent merely 96 games in the major leagues. That is stunning.

Seldom do you find a "top prospect" who spent less than 100 games in the minors. I'd actually be interested to see a list of major league players with the least amount of games played in the majors, I wouldn't be surprised if Zunino is near the top of that list.
yeah, I would assume its a short list. I can't think of any current players with as few games in the minors as Zunino. Zunino was looked at as a complete player when drafted, defense, catching ability and a nice bat. He just can't get it figured out at the plate and the major league level isn't the place to figure it out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is with mariner managment - mainly McClendon and Zdurenziak. They do not believe that montero can hit right handed major league pitching. They played him almost exclusively against lefties pitchers.

I disagree with that decision. If our team was hitting above average, as a hole, then I could understand how they handle montero. But, this team has scored the least runs in the American league. They should at least give Montero a shot against right-handers.

He can't run and he can't field. If they also believe that he can't hit right handed pitching then there is no reason to keep him in the organization. Give him a chance or get rid of him. He's been punished long enough.

Montero's career line against lefties:
.317/.373/.452

Mark Trumbo's career line against lefties:
.259/.306/.502

Logan Morrison's career line against lefties:
.246/.318/.364

Franklin Guiterrez's career line against lefties:
.290/.354/.478

Montero is one of the best hitters against lefties in our organization.