• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dow Jones taking a steep dive after Trump's tariff announcement.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Besides all the other obvious stuff, the biggest problem with Trump is that he just doesn't realize we've moved on from the industrial economy to the knowledge economy. We have Google, Apple, Amazon, etc driving the economy but he's willing to sacrifice those companies to get back us back working in steel factories because he's still living in the 1940s. It's not surprising since most of his businesses are based on the old economy.

All the other stuff that he is woefully unqualified for is one thing, but the economy is an area where he thinks he knows what he's doing (but it's an area that has completely passed him by) might be where he is the most dangerous.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Besides all the other obvious stuff, the biggest problem with Trump is that he just doesn't realize we've moved on from the industrial economy to the knowledge economy. We have Google, Apple, Amazon, etc driving the economy but he's willing to sacrifice those companies to get back us back working in steel factories because he's still living in the 1940s. It's not surprising since most of his businesses are based on the old economy.

All the other stuff that he is woefully unqualified for is one thing, but the economy is an area where he thinks he knows what he's doing (but it's an area that has completely passed him by) might be where he is the most dangerous.
I'm not sure that the issue is that he doesn't get it. I think he does. I think he also gets that pandering to coal miners and steel workers is what's going to get him re-elected. Tech workers in California and Seattle (generally speaking) aren't voting for him anyhow. But a steel worker? Or an aircraft manufacturer? Those are the guys he can get on his side with this type of thing.

And I don't think he gives a shit about the economy as a whole. He cares about his own ego and his own ability to get re-elected.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The three biggest steel importers into the US are Canada, South Korea and Brazil. Those are hardly third-world countries flooding the US marketplace with cheap material, or places where the “new” economy aren’t prevalent.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh Snap!!
:dhd:

Lmao!

OohBurn.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three biggest steel importers into the US are Canada, South Korea and Brazil. Those are hardly third-world countries flooding the US marketplace with cheap material, or places where the “new” economy aren’t prevalent.

Those are three important allies that will be annoyed. Not to mention that we can't use all the steel we produce and this will just raise the cost on new construction and a lot of American businesses in the end. Free trade has helped keep goods cheap for lower and middle class Americans. Now we do want some raw material production and manufacturing in our economy since industry diversity protects the overall economy against changes within different industries. But our economy isn't primarily driven by those types of industries anymore (and hasn't been for over half a century) and they aren't industries that yield high-paying jobs, especially given that the global economy has filled many of them in over the last century. But instead of re-training and adapting for how the economy changes, people in those areas are just crossing their fingers and hoping things magically return to that era. Even if they did, the days of good wages in those types of jobs are over. It's too bad in many ways, but there are other opportunities to be seized. The American Dream is still out there, but nobody said you could train for whatever the fuck you want and there'd be a job there for it. That was never the case. The Trumpeters hopes and dreams are in for a rude awakening and tariff wars won't help.

Tarriffs, "America First," xenophobia.

Welcome back, 1920s!!!

That ended well... right?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Canada imports almost as much as it exports (saving money on the movement of it), so it wouldn't take a lot for Canada to just tell the US to fuck off. All they would lose is a bit of convenience and the US "steel industry" would collapse.

I read something like 50% of the steel the US produces goes to Canada.

Way to kill an industry, dingleberry.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that the issue is that he doesn't get it. I think he does. I think he also gets that pandering to coal miners and steel workers is what's going to get him re-elected. Tech workers in California and Seattle (generally speaking) aren't voting for him anyhow. But a steel worker? Or an aircraft manufacturer? Those are the guys he can get on his side with this type of thing.

And I don't think he gives a shit about the economy as a whole. He cares about his own ego and his own ability to get re-elected.

I agree with a lot of the above, my friend, especially the bolded part above. Also, you are correct that he is pandering to his base with these proposed tariffs. There's going to be some pretty big blowback though if consumer prices rise combined with a steep drop in the DJI.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Canada imports almost as much as it exports (saving money on the movement of it), so it wouldn't take a lot for Canada to just tell the US to fuck off. All they would lose is a bit of convenience and the US "steel industry" would collapse.

I read something like 50% of the steel the US produces goes to Canada.

Way to kill an industry, dingleberry.
Those are three important allies that will be annoyed. Not to mention that we can't use all the steel we produce and this will just raise the cost on new construction and a lot of American businesses in the end. Free trade has helped keep goods cheap for lower and middle class Americans. Now we do want some raw material production and manufacturing in our economy since industry diversity protects the overall economy against changes within different industries. But our economy isn't primarily driven by those types of industries anymore (and hasn't been for over half a century) and they aren't industries that yield high-paying jobs, especially given that the global economy has filled many of them in over the last century. But instead of re-training and adapting for how the economy changes, people in those areas are just crossing their fingers and hoping things magically return to that era. Even if they did, the days of good wages in those types of jobs are over. It's too bad in many ways, but there are other opportunities to be seized. The American Dream is still out there, but nobody said you could train for whatever the fuck you want and there'd be a job there for it. That was never the case. The Trumpeters hopes and dreams are in for a rude awakening and tariff wars won't help.

Tarriffs, "America First," xenophobia.

Welcome back, 1920s!!!

That ended well... right?
Wasn't arguing that so much as the fact that first-world nations still produce many shit-tons of steel.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a while since anyone has mentioned it but is SportsHoopla still doing the Cannonball Run style cross country race we talked about a few months ago? Two to a car, first team across wins? I'd hate to think I have been working on a Dean Martin impersonation for no reason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of the above, my friend, especially the bolded part above. Also, you are correct that he is pandering to his base with these proposed tariffs. There's going to be some pretty big blowback though if consumer prices rise combined with a steep drop in the DJI.

Obviously those price hikes will be nothing more than a liberal conspiracy to make him look bad, though, dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.