• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks vs Patriots SportsHoopla analysis/discussion

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So people are complaining that there is not enough football talk on this board, and admitably there is a lot of sniping going on back and forth so I will put forward this post to try and stimulate a little conversation:
The Pats and the Seahawks go into the Super Bowl as possibly the two best teams in the NFL over this season, so it is a true monumental matchup. But based on last weeks performance, the Seahawks had better not come out slow or the Pats will roll over them like Seattle themselves did to the Broncos last year.
Note that I am not all that familiar with the details on the Pats so I would appreciate a knowledgeable Pats fan (or other) to chime in and enlighten us-
Key matchups:
Tom Brady vs. Seattle secondary: Seattle's defensive philosophy in the passing game is to not blitz much and play as much man to man coverage as possible. They don't allow the long ball but rely on giving short routes and then making the receivers pay. This is countered by the Patriots who are near the bottom of the NFL in long passes (over 20 yards) but are at the top in the shorter passing game.
Seattle allows receptions on 72% of short passes and that seems to play right into Brady's hands but a lot of QBs have tried and struggled when they attempt to take advantage of this.
Also, Brady is one of the best against blitzing but, as mentioned above, Seattle does not blitz much.
Groz vs. Wright/Chancellor: There is no doubt that Groz often looks like a man among boys when he is healthy (which it appears he currently is). Most people seem to think that Seattle hit machine Kam Chancellor will be covering him, but the truth is that a player that is not often talked about on the Seahawk's D will probably be on him the majority of the time. Wright is an excellent coverage LB with great speed and stands 6'4" with long arms. He has been instrumental in containing Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Julius Thomas, etc. He was beaten badly by Antonio Gates earlier this year but that appears to be an anomaly. Look for the Pats to try to go to Groz often. The Seahawk's scheme against him could make or break this game one way or the other.
Seattle WRs vs. Revis/Browner: They may complain about not getting respect but the truth is that the Seattle WR's are not one of the better units in the league. You would think that Revis and Browner should be able to contain them, but the Pats pass D has struggled at times this year and Seahawk's WRs Baldwin is strong underneath while Kearse can make big plays over the top. I wonder if the Seahawks will challenge Revis island or if they will avoid throwing in his direction.

Seattle running game vs Pats run D: The Pats have been strong against the run this year (9th in yards allowed) but the Seahawks have a formidable attack in the battering ram Lynch and the evasive Wilson. My guess is that Hightower or Collins will probably be assigned to spy on Wilson (just a guess here) but most teams have had a contain on him and still have struggled to stop the Seahawks.
My guess is that Lynch will get his yards regardless. Even if you sell out to stop the run, he eventually breaks some tackles and gains some ground. If the Pats can keep him at a reasonable level and keep Wilson from gaining yards with his legs then they will have accomplished a major step towards victory.

Injuries to both Earl Thomas (dislocated shoulder) and Richard Sherman (sprained elbow) could be a major wildcard in this battle. I fully expect both to go but if they get reinjured, or are limited in their effectiveness then it could be a big blow to the Seahawks chances to repeat.
Note that the Seahawk's base D is an unorthodox 4-3 that is essentially a 3-4 with one of the LBs as a designated DL player (the LEO position). I won't go into details but they are fairly straightforward in their schemes and try to make teams adjust to them instead of the other way around. I know that the Pats run a 4-3, but also have a 3-4 package that they threw in early in the year but I am not sure if they are still using it regularly.
That's all I have time for at the moment. Hopefully this will be an informative, ongoing discussion throughout the next two weeks.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One aspect of this game that I find interesting is that Seattle faces a difficult task game planning for NE's offense. Probably the most versatile offensive attack in the league.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One aspect of this game that I find interesting is that Seattle faces a difficult task game planning for NE's offense. Probably the most versatile offensive attack in the league.

And damn unpredictable. God knows what ineligible receiver formations Belichick will come up with.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And..........I hope the officials check Wilson's balls.......too....!!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And damn unpredictable. God knows what ineligible receiver formations Belichick will come up with.

So the thread turns from "football talk" to "sniping" at Post #3? Alas, it was a noble effort! LOL

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what gives me pause. I think Belichick will scheme something that puts the seahawks defense on their heels and he will use it at the moments with greatest effect.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key matchups:
Tom Brady vs. Seattle secondary: Seattle's defensive philosophy in the passing game is to not blitz much and play as much man to man coverage as possible. They don't allow the long ball but rely on giving short routes and then making the receivers pay. This is countered by the Patriots who are near the bottom of the NFL in long passes (over 20 yards) but are at the top in the shorter passing game.
Seattle allows receptions on 72% of short passes and that seems to play right into Brady's hands but a lot of QBs have tried and struggled when they attempt to take advantage of this.
Also, Brady is one of the best against blitzing but, as mentioned above, Seattle does not blitz much.

This will decide the game IMO.

GB came out and spread out Seattle and the middle of the field was open all day long if GB would have had the patience and the talent to exploit it. Unlike GB that sort of attack is New England's bread and butter.

This game flat out will come down to just how aggressive and effective Seattle is in covering the middle of the field and whether or not Brady can exploit the edges when Seattle loads up the entire defense in the middle of the field and completely isolates their outside WR's.

Seattle is a pretty vanilla a defense. They have been successful at it too. I doubt they make too many radical changes to their approach. But I bet they will be tempted. This game is the reason that teams should be more willing to change up schemes during the year....so they can pull it out and play the most effective defense when the time comes. If they hadn't been so rigid in their approach, this would be the perfect game to just have Sherman shadow Edelman and take away Brady's main WR target and force Brady to make more outside throws against tight man coverage.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the thread turns from "football talk" to "sniping" at Post #3? Alas, it was a noble effort! LOL

That was not a dig at all. It's perfectly legal for him to do it and I think it's embarrassing for other coaches to complain about it.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touchdowns and not Field Goals.

Tom Brady throwing against a banged up secondary with a Monster Truck target in Gronk. The patriots will move the ball on Seattle and will score TDs where Green Bay stalled and only got FGs.

Brady and Bill are smart and will test those injuries no doubt and if those guys are injured good luck trying to tackle that Monster Truck.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will decide the game IMO.

GB came out and spread out Seattle and the middle of the field was open all day long if GB would have had the patience and the talent to exploit it. Unlike GB that sort of attack is New England's bread and butter.

This game flat out will come down to just how aggressive and effective Seattle is in covering the middle of the field and whether or not Brady can exploit the edges when Seattle loads up the entire defense in the middle of the field and completely isolates their outside WR's.

Seattle is a pretty vanilla a defense. They have been successful at it too. I doubt they make too many radical changes to their approach. But I bet they will be tempted. This game is the reason that teams should be more willing to change up schemes during the year....so they can pull it out and play the most effective defense when the time comes. If they hadn't been so rigid in their approach, this would be the perfect game to just have Sherman shadow Edelman and take away Brady's main WR target and force Brady to make more outside throws against tight man coverage.

They have done it before. I would be surprised to see them dust it off again, but they are capable of it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warning to the wise.
If Seattle is behind early, be careful if you start a thread before the game is over.
Seattle is a second half team, more so even in the 4th qtr. Their scoring and D really steps it up in the 4th qtr. That has been the way this season has gone.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things work in Seattle's favor:

That they had a real scare in their CCG, and that New England had a walkover in theirs.

Two things in NE's favor:

They are extremely confident and they came out of their game with less bumps and bruises.

If Seattle can protect Wilson and establish the run, this should be a close game and I'd give them the advantage. But if they turn the ball over 4 times, the Patriots will not settle for FG's and this could be another classic Superb Owl blowout.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to mention what new wrinkle Belichick will come up with in his secret laboratory.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will the pats be able to stop the beast .. they aren't noted for their D..
That is my thought. If Marshawn goes off that should seal it. In many games our opponent has built a D plan to eliminate ML. Sometimes it works very well. If that happens it will be up to RW to win the game.

Pretty simplistic view, but it is hard for me to have a feel for this game. Easily could go either way.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warning to the wise.
If Seattle is behind early, be careful if you start a thread before the game is over.
Seattle is a second half team, more so even in the 4th qtr. Their scoring and D really steps it up in the 4th qtr. That has been the way this season has gone.

Yeah because there is just so many of those threads floating around. :rollseyes: