• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Free Agency

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather none of the above, but if they do sign one I think fat ass Lacy has the highest ceiling and is a better fit. The guy is a load to bring down, if he could just keep his inner fat boy contained he could be really good. Thumbs down on Murray, nothing about him says special, he's mediocre and always will be, that's why a up and coming team like the Raiders are willing to move on from him.

Lacy would be the last guy on that list i'd want... Toe and weight issues aren't a good combo... We need a running back that can be relied on to stay on the field... That guy is not Lacy, imo... Nor is it Charles...

I doubt the Hawks would bring in a 'mediocre' RB to interview... I think they value him more than that or they wouldn't be bringing him in... I don't think he's a stud but he's a solid, productive running back, especially via the passing game...

Raiders have two very good RB's (Jalen, Washington) that they had drafted last year in case they weren't able to get Murray to resign... Also, the Raiders can't give Murray big contract since they will have to extend Carr and Mack...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacy would be the last guy on that list i'd want... Toe and weight issues aren't a good combo... We need a running back that can be relied on to stay on the field... That guy is not Lacy, imo... Nor is it Charles...

I doubt the Hawks would bring in a 'mediocre' RB to interview... I think they value him more than that or they wouldn't be bringing him in... I don't think he's a stud but he's a solid, productive running back, especially via the passing game...

Raiders have two very good RB's (Jalen, Washington) that they had drafted last year in case they weren't able to get Murray to resign... Also, the Raiders can't give Murray big contract since they will have to extend Carr and Mack...
Only one on the list that has special qualities that's Lacy, I'm not for signing him because I just just don't trust he can contain the inner fat boy, but he's a hell of a RB when right.
BS on your comment about the Raiders not being able to afford to sign Murray, they got 43 million in cap space this year and 87 next year, they got money to burn. Murray is just a dud and the Raiders don't even have a good replacement on the roster, as the backups are just role type RBs, still they want to cut their loses, which is smart.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Brock Coyle is moving on to the 49ers, so our linebacker crew just lost a little depth. Do you think we sign a cheap free agent backup or do we wait and draft a linebacker/sign an undrafted free agent linebacker? I'm leaning towards draft/undrafted free agent.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Brock Coyle is moving on to the 49ers, so our linebacker crew just lost a little depth. Do you think we sign a cheap free agent backup or do we wait and draft a linebacker/sign an undrafted free agent linebacker? I'm leaning towards draft/undrafted free agent.

I lean rookie - since the Hawks have only $16 million cap space (at most) and need $5 mil for rookies and $5 mil for injury insurance - leaving only $9 mil to spend (I know the math looks weird, but it has to do with rookie contracts taking up space that is already taken by other contracts etc.). If they are serious about signing Lang, then there won't be any money to re-sign any of our other free agents or to bring in anyone from off the street, unless they cut someone that is already on the roster.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lean rookie - since the Hawks have only $16 million cap space (at most) and need $5 mil for rookies and $5 mil for injury insurance - leaving only $9 mil to spend (I know the math looks weird, but it has to do with rookie contracts taking up space that is already taken by other contracts etc.). If they are serious about signing Lang, then there won't be any money to re-sign any of our other free agents or to bring in anyone from off the street, unless they cut someone that is already on the roster.

I agree. About the ONLY people you could cut are: Jimmy Graham or Kam Chancellor (KJ Wright/Avril technically save money but it's smaller $s and the Hawks FO LOVES both).

Jimmy has played great and IMO is worth the $10M. He's had a FULL on field season with Russell and was forced to block more than usual because of the abysmal OL play. IMO he's FULLY worth the $10M and bringing in Lang to cut him is just going to create another hole. Only chance is the Hawks feel they wont be able to bring him back next year due to cap constraints and they try to get a trade+pick now and draft a TE in a VERY deep class but that's SUCH a long stretch IMO.

Then Chancellor. Chancellor IMO is as good as gone after this year. Someone will over pay him, he's getting some injuries now, and is going to WANT TO BE PAID!!!! That said, Kam Chancellor is in a contract year where the next contract would be the biggest he could absolutely get, so this is the year we are going to get the ABSOLUTE most out of him. Releasing him would be absolutely stupid.

Outside of that, there is nobody. We'd basically have to immediately cut Joeckel to make room for Lang. And in all honesty that may be the strategy. Sign SOMEONE in this ridiculous OL market so we have some insurance, and if we can land a high profiler on decent contract terms like Lang, great. Goodbye Joeckel, who has zero guaranteed. If we can't get Lang because someone overpays, then we at least got SOMETHING to work with for a year and focus on fixing via draft.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if we lose Jimmy and Kam to high bidders, we will get some nice comp picks in return.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The highest comp pick is third round, so that's not encouraging.
I am aware, buy Kam was a 5th and has lots of wear on his body. At some point we have to face the music and say goodbye to our stars.
BB does.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if we lose Jimmy and Kam to high bidders, we will get some nice comp picks in return.
You don't get comp picks when you cut players.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the story goes, NFL.com is reporting AP to visit the Hawks today. Free agent dollars on offense and draft picks on D may indeed be the way we are approaching this off-season if the first handful of days of the new league year are any indication.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't get comp picks when you cut players.

I think he means free agency.... hence 'lose' not trade. And he's absolutely correct we'd get comp picks (if the salary is high enough which I'm sure it would be) in that scenario.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems lang used us to get a better deal from GB. Unless by some miracle he signs with us today.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems lang used us to get a better deal from GB. Unless by some miracle he signs with us today.

IDK if I'd say he used the Seahawks, came and listened to the offer. The problem is the FA market for OL is expensive and the Seahawks have limited cap space.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK if I'd say he used the Seahawks, came and listened to the offer. The problem is the FA market for OL is expensive and the Seahawks have limited cap space.

True.... but we had the cap space if we didn't sign Joeckel to an $8M WTF deal (who we could cut today and get it all back)...

Still, Lang is probably looking for a 5 year $65M deal or something. Clearly Seattle doesn't want to lock anything like that in.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he means free agency.... hence 'lose' not trade. And he's absolutely correct we'd get comp picks (if the salary is high enough which I'm sure it would be) in that scenario.
Oh, we're talking 2018 off-season then? I missed that in the discussion. If that's the case, then the comp picks wouldn't be in hand until the 2019 draft.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Okung is his own agent. Teams were not permitted to talk directly to players during that 2 or 3 day period leading up to free agency. Okung signed with the Chargers within a few hours of the new league year beginning. How could that deal have been worked so quickly if the Chargers didn't violate the tampering rules and speak with the player during the prohibited time window? It may be pretty tough to prove, but it's hard to believe that deal was consummated in just a couple hours.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, we're talking 2018 off-season then? I missed that in the discussion. If that's the case, then the comp picks wouldn't be in hand until the 2019 draft.

Right... we still get comp picks. If we traded them we'd obviously be trading for picks. Either way with Jimmy/Kam we're going to get 'picks' if we let them go after this year... unless there's a SERIOUS injury this season (hopefully not like Jimmy had 2 years ago).

And Seattle would never 'cut' Jimmy/Kam. I shouldn't have used that word. SOMEONE would trade something for them