• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Tolzien

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Telling you, play against our D and you'll get a new fat contract lol..

Nothing big here IMO, but a 3rd QB with something to show if the even of the other 2 were to fall.

It has thus far worked out pretty damn well for....nevermind :behindsofa:

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey 9ers fans. uw alum here, watched tolzien's whole career. you're gonna love (LOVE) him. we were skeptical at first too, but by the middle of his senior year i couldn't understand why he wasn't getting any love from pro scouts.

i think he can start in the league. hope so, and hope he sticks with the 9ers.

good luck this year!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pickup for you guys. Scott Tolzien has had to deal with same complaints for years: he isn't very athletic and he doesn't throw the ball far. I remember them when he was at Fremd, and I remember them when he played for my Badgers.

People often underestimate the importance of accuracy. Accuracy is the most important factor to be a great quarterback, and Scott Tolzien has that. I'm not exaggerating when I say that 85% of his passes last season were catchable, and he threw a ton of passes that would have been picked off if he wasn't accurate. He may not have a monster arm, but he can definitely throw the ball 40 yards on target. You also can't teach intelligence and Scotty has it. He is a quick learner and doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Maybe I am crazy, but I think Tolzien is the best QB on your roster. I just hope that Harbaugh and company give him a shot like Mike Donatucci and Paul Chryst did. I doubt you'll be dissapointed with the results.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hey 9ers fans. uw alum here, watched tolzien's whole career. you're gonna love (LOVE) him. we were skeptical at first too, but by the middle of his senior year i couldn't understand why he wasn't getting any love from pro scouts.

i think he can start in the league. hope so, and hope he sticks with the 9ers.

good luck this year!

Well, it certainly would not be the first time the scouts swung and missed. (Or, in this case watched a fat fast one sail into the catcher's mit)

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is it wrong to be more excited about picking up Tolzien than I was about drafting Kaepernick?

I'm probably the only person not hyped about this signing.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Three, I always scan threads in an effort to avoid duplicate posting and I am just now noticing that I missed this one -my bad. That said, however, it is not surprising that we both found this interesting.

Ahh, well I found it like right after I posted that. Instead of just adding another post I chose to edit and add since I was still on the 10 minute edit clock. Which was totally ninja of me.

It certainly is interesting, doesn't take a stretch of the imagination that Geep's brother talked him up and then the 49ers staff took notice. Hope the 49ers get a chance to develop him into an NFL QB, the passes in that video showed a lot of promise.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ahh, well I found it like right after I posted that. Instead of just adding another post I chose to edit and add since I was still on the 10 minute edit clock. Which was totally ninja of me.

It certainly is interesting, doesn't take a stretch of the imagination that Geep's brother talked him up and then the 49ers staff took notice. Hope the 49ers get a chance to develop him into an NFL QB, the passes in that video showed a lot of promise.

Agreed! That was totally Ninja of you!

No question we had an insiders opinion on Tolzien, and the opinions from the locals who followed his college career were pretty damn positive as well. So, it would seem we may have something here; and, like you, I hope we waste little time figuring out what exactly that something is.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm probably the only person not hyped about this signing.

I'm with you. I hope the kid becomes the next Montana lol but let's be real. The guy was undrafted and just got cut. How many success stories start with that beginning?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm with you. I hope the kid becomes the next Montana lol but let's be real. The guy was undrafted and just got cut. How many success stories start with that beginning?

Well, there is the obvious one (Warner) and there have been plenty of undrafted success stories as well; we may have one of our own this year in Dobbs.

I don't think anyone has expressed an unrealistic expectation, feeling positive about someone is quite different from stating an unrealistic expectation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is the obvious one (Warner) and there have been plenty of undrafted success stories as well; we may have one of our own this year in Dobbs.

I don't think anyone has expressed an unrealistic expectation, feeling positive about someone is quite different from stating an unrealistic expectation.

Someone said that they expect Tolzein to be starting over Kap by next year. Really?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Someone said that they expect Tolzein to be starting over Kap by next year. Really?

Whoops... Okay, I missed that one. Yeah, that's a pretty ambitious expectation. While I may not subscribe to that level of confidence, it would be nice if we did happen to catch lightning in a bottle one more time.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe that person was just saying that Tolzien might be starting by the end of the year, because he expects Alex Smith to completely fail. After that, Kaepernick to play about the same as he did in the preseason in his replacement duties, and then in a last ditch effort Harbaugh turns to Tolzien. Something like that is realistic, especially when we're talking about the first step of Smith continuing to disappoint.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe that person was just saying that Tolzien might be starting by the end of the year, because he expects Alex Smith to completely fail. After that, Kaepernick to play about the same as he did in the preseason in his replacement duties, and then in a last ditch effort Harbaugh turns to Tolzien. Something like that is realistic, especially when we're talking about the first step of Smith continuing to disappoint.

Interesting perspective, Three! I certainly did not think of that angle.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching highlights on this guy reminds me so much of Jeff Garcia... He doesn't have a strong arm but knows how to get the ball where it needs to be

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a third string replacement (which is all he is right now), I think it was a really good signing. If he becomes more than that (which he could on this team with this coaching staff), then I will look back and say "Wow, that was a great signing."

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant judge a whole lot on pre-season play, but i dont mind this pick up. Let Harbaugh works his magic with another young QB. Time will tell.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's possible, but me thinks you're psycho-analyzing his statement.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His pass @ 2:45 over Culliver was impressive. Culliver had good coverage, but the placement was perfect. pretty sure it's the one you are talking about.

I have seen some comments suggesting that Tolzien has a weak arm, and I gotta say, if the pass at 3:11 is descriptive of a weak arm, then I think I can live with that.

Last edited by a moderator: