• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saturday Night Live (SNL)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
murphy hasn't made a funny movie in 15 years, and hasn't been the leading man in a comedy in closer to 20 years.

his 80s standup hasn't aged well, imo.

i didn't see the SNL thing, but i'm not surprised that he was a douche.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I waited and waited and waited for Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood... And he showed up and made us all remember why he has been irrelevant since he was on the show...

Other than that, I thought it was a cool night to bring back memories as well as have people realize that the cast from years prior really isn't all that different from the present cast. Hopefully it brings back some fair weather SNL fans for a little while.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit that many of the folks seemed intoxicated when on stage. Chevy Chase was heavily medicated for sure. Bill Murray still sounded good and did an entire skit. Ditto for Jane Curtain. Especially good to see Mike Myers and Dana Carvey together doing dueling Lorne Michaels/Dr. Evil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Murray stole the show in his nightclub singer skit singing about the shark Jaws. I have not laughed that hard at a SNL skit in a long time. Long live the king..Bill Murray !

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SNL is an American institution. Watched it from the very beginning with Steve Martin, Morris , Belushi, Radner, Curtain, Akroyd, Murray and all the rest since. My favorite might be Chris Farley though, man that guy could crack me up. Just the entire evolution of the show has been fascinating.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite skit is probably the Jeopardy Skit/s, I've watched them many times but they still make me laugh.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty some odd years later I find myself living in a van down by the river.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SNL is six n half years older'n me.

Hope Im never one of those, "I quit watching when..." I watched SNL related TV basically the entire day. Best of's, old episodes, and the pre-game to the big 40 Show. Thought they did a very good job with the entire thing. Martin Short got to talk too long, Goodman didn't get enough face time, no Conan, George Wendt (And Da Super Fans) wasn't there, no Jay Mohr, Joe Montana wasn't there, no Jordan either and they didn't play Tracy Morgan and Shaq's "Berrnahd!", but I thought it was damn good.

David Spade cracked me up.... it's was this, er nuthin'. Bu-Bye. Hahaha

Loved Jeopardy! Norm is the man. Thought it was great Adam n Andy did a song together. Thought it was cool that DA and The BassOMatic got thirty seconds too.

And for people that don't like anything new,...... give Pete Davidson a chance. Kid's funny as hell. The new/current cast has a lot of staying power IMO.

I agree with you on Davidson. He can be a riot. They have to keep getting him more and more involved. Let him have more weekend update segments. That has been horrid this year so let the funniest guy be on it more often to save it.

Don't agree that a lot of the current cast has staying power. There are some that are strong but other suck complete ass and are in like every skit(fuckin Keenan, luckily he's gone soon)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on Davidson. He can be a riot. They have to keep getting him more and more involved. Let him have more weekend update segments. That has been horrid this year so let the funniest guy be on it more often to save it.

Don't agree that a lot of the current cast has staying power. There are some that are strong but other suck complete ass and are in like every skit(fuckin Keenan, luckily he's gone soon)

Of the current cast, I like Bryant and Davidson, It is good to see a bigger woman actually telling good jokes with good timing rather than just being Melissa McCarthy (whom I cant stand). I can see Bryant becoming a pretty big name. Pharoh's impersonations are GREAT, but he is a piss-poor actor. Jones is funny, but I am not sure she has any staying power. Can she do more than the big, crazy black woman? She is also pretty old, isn't she? Like mid-late 40s? Kyle Mooney is OK, but I don't see him as a "star". McKinnin gets a lot of time, but I am not a fan of her's. Strong is very under-rated. I can see her having decent success post-SNL.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with everyone. Had a great start, but ran a little long. Commercials really piled up at the end. Luckily I taped it and watched about 45 minutes delay so by the end I did not wait for any commercials (5 minutes to spare).

In addition to what you guys mentioned I liked Melissa McCarthy as Matt Foley and I also thought Emma Stone did a decent Roseanne Rosannadanna. Also, Seeing Gilda again made me realize just how under-rated she was.

I have to admit that many of the folks seemed intoxicated when on stage. Chevy Chase was heavily medicated for sure. Bill Murray still sounded good and did an entire skit. Ditto for Jane Curtain. Especially good to see Mike Myers and Dana Carvey together doing dueling Lorne Michaels/Dr. Evil.

I was surprised by no Cheri Oteri and Chris Katan. I really expected to see the Cheerleader skit (Oteri) and the Roxbury skit (Katan) with Ferrell in some of the flashbacks although I could have missed it. They went pretty fast.

It's funny. When I think back about the original cast she's down the list.... and I always liked Fey and Poehler doing Weekend Update. Curtain has had only moderate success doing this & that since then, too. But when the 3 of them were doing it together, Curtain just owned it. It just reinforced for me that those of us who think that the original crew were the best are right.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't tell any jokes. He just came out for less than a minute and basically told everyone to fuck off.

Dude, Eddie, you really aren't THAT big of a star to shit on your origins. Ok, you carried the show for a few years while Lorne was off doing whatever he was doing, and when he came back, he kicked you to the curb. We get it. BUT THAT HAPPENED 30 FUCKING YEARS AGO!!! GET OVER IT! You do not have to get on stage and say how great Lorne is/was. Just pay homage to the show that made your career, and have fun. You would have looked a lot better than you did.

Wait, what ?? Lorne kicked Eddie to the curb ? Murphy hasn't been funny in a very long time but

#1) Without Murphy SNL ends in 1981
#2) Murphy was in Trading Places, 48 Hours & Beverly Hills Cop while he was still on SNL. They're movies. You may have heard of them. They were pretty popular. He was basically the hottest star in Hollywood at the time. Kicked him to the curb... lol

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kate Mckinnon is very good (she does the Justin Bieber impersonation). So is Cecily Strong.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kate Mckinnon is very good (she does the Justin Bieber impersonation). So is Cecily Strong.

Yeah I like those two in a lot of the things they do. They are not super versatile but they are good. I agree with Cal regarding Bryant and Pharoah as well. The billy Zane guy can do some pretty good impersonations as well.

But overall right now they use too much of not funny people(again fuckin Keenan) so I mostly watch if it's a good host and for a good Davidson segment that happens 1 out of like every 6 episodes.

Jost sucks complete ass on WU.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what ?? Lorne kicked Eddie to the curb ? Murphy hasn't been funny in a very long time but

#1) Without Murphy SNL ends in 1981
#2) Murphy was in Trading Places, 48 Hours & Beverly Hills Cop while he was still on SNL. They're movies. You may have heard of them. They were pretty popular. He was basically the hottest star in Hollywood at the time. Kicked him to the curb... lol

Um, where did I say he wasn't a star at the time?

My understanding of the situation, and I may be wrong about this, is that when Lorne came back, he cleaned house and brought on that one-year all-star cast to revitalize the show. Again, I may be wrong, but I thought Eddie wanted to stay, but was fired along with everyone else.

this is why he has never come back to host and was a big question mark about the reunion show.

If you know better, please educate.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty some odd years later I find myself living in a van down by the river.

Do you attribute this to watching that show for 40 years?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was great. there were a few misses (Kanye for one) but overall great memories. The Jeopardy skit was hilarious.

I thought it stunk. Chevy Chase looks like he belongs in a nursing home and most of the skits were lame.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder that the show is just about unwatchable now. It was never as good nor will be again as the early 90's cast. Sandler, Farley, Nealon and the boys.

:agree: